DNFat IM-WI: A bit long

Old September 16th 03, 01:38 AM
SBRMJM1

Default DNFat IM-WI: A bit long

First of all, Kudos to Harold and anyone else who finished the race in Madison
last week. It was a very hot day, a course with a tough bike lay-out and those
who finished earned it.

An old problem bit me again during IM-MOO and I have to figure out what to do.

I got off my bike and into my brother-in-law's Jeep Cherokee 80 miles into the
race a week ago and I never even thought twice about doing so. I hadn't
absorbed any of my fuel and within five minutes in the blessed air-conditioned
truck I asked him to pull over, whence I throw-up what felt like quarts of
Accelerade, water, bits of energy food etc, etc. Not a pretty sight.

While I was disappointed in not being able to continue what was/is a terrific
event in a wonderful place, it was the right thing for me to do to stop. I
have completed Kona twice, "comfortably" in 1991 and barely in the winds of
2001, where I learned to dig very, very deep to get to the finish. I had wanted
to do well in Madison ...the UW is my alma mater and it's my family's home. I
had trained often on the course this summer, experimented with what I thought
was a solid nutrition plan, but wooosh...it didn't work out as I wished on race
day.I also knew that without any fuel going where it was s'posed to, it wasn't
going to happen. Time to stand down and fight another day.

I have had this fuel absorption problem the last few years during long course
events and have looked at a lot of different ideas on how to deal with race
nutrition. It first started cropping up with me at the Pigman half-ironman in
1999 and has been a factor since.. not so bad at Muncie in 2001, tough in Kona
in 2001, rough at the Dairyland half this summer in Racine and then, despite
all sorts of research and ideas and experimenting, very rough in Madison.

I didn't want to end up my Ironman days as a DNF so I signed up for Wisconsin
again last week. If anyone has some anecdotal ideas and experience or a good
additional source (I have been to gordo's site, slowtwitch, tri-newbies etc)on
race nutrition that has worked for you, I would be interested in reading about
it. I am 47. 6'1"185-90lbs. Been racing for almost 20 years, usually doing
pretty well in the age group in local events. It's not life or death anymore,
but I do want to get to the finish line next September!
Thanks for your help...
Mark

Dehydration during long run..help please Sharmilee Sen Running 6 December 18th 03 02:45 AM
Back to running after 2 long years off..... Charthousemtg Running 9 December 12th 03 08:17 PM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 03:19 AM
New York Report - long diggler Running 7 November 11th 03 08:29 PM
How long to wait between a marathon and a 50k? Doug Freese Running 5 October 31st 03 11:20 PM