Half Ironman - eating-traing prep

Old September 9th 03, 05:13 PM
Matt Peeler

Default Half Ironman - eating-traing prep

I am doing my 1st half ironman this weekend and I am working on my
eating plan.
I have bad reflux and I trying to take this into consideration before
doing it.

I seem to have problems trying to carbo load beforehand. I seem to do
better eating very light the day before an event and I cant eat too
much before I start workout with out having bad reflux.

How many calories should I eat before starting my half IM? I am
thinking about eating maybe a bagel and banana about and 1hour before
hand and only eat solid foods while on the bike after about 1hr. I
plan on being on bike for 2.5 hours for the 56 miles and only taking
liguids the run and rest of the way.

I also have had shin splints last month and have had to alter my
training the past 3 weeks in regard to running. I had gotten to my 2hr
long run before it happened. The shin splints are pretty good now so
right now I have just been doing fast 5-10k runs. Is that a good
strategy to keep legs fresh and not spend too much time pounding. They
usually feel pretty good after running hard.

Thanks in advance

Matt p
Old September 11th 03, 08:14 AM
bobby c

hi Matt after reading your email (and this is only what i do-so it
maynot work for everyone)i would definately eat brekky earlier than 1
hour before(about 2hours at least) throw in a bottle of sports drink to
get a few more calories and then take a couple of Gu's about 20 minutes
out from the swim,if it doesn't upset the stomach.On the bike i find
it's ok to eat solids about 30 minutes in(after the blood 's moved from
the upper to lower body i.e to the cycling muscles)after that i try and
eat about 2/3 jam sandwiches and 4/6 gels on the bike and the run is
mostly sports drinks,a few lollies and some orange quarters.If the legs
are bothering you race day you could throw down a couple of ibuprofen or
something similar(but if you haven't tried this before it could further
upset the stomach) With the fast(er)run training try doing it on a
treadmill.Hope this helps.Bobby C

--
This forum is a gateway to the rec.sport.triathlon usenet newsgroup. Any posts you make in this forum will be propogated to usenet.

Old September 17th 03, 12:38 AM
J&P

Shin splints can be a real problem, and they frequently recur. I
found this very helpful Web site called http://www.OurFootDoctor.com
It has quite a bit of information written by a Board Certified
Podiatrist that explains what shin spints are and how to treat it.

Good Luck!

Robin

Old September 17th 03, 12:38 AM
J&P

Shin splints can be a real problem, and they frequently recur. I
found this very helpful Web site called http://www.OurFootDoctor.com
It has quite a bit of information written by a Board Certified
Podiatrist that explains what shin spints are and how to treat it.

Good Luck!

Robin

I also have had shin splints last month and have had to alter my
training the past 3 weeks in regard to running. I had gotten to my 2hr
long run before it happened. The shin splints are pretty good now so
right now I have just been doing fast 5-10k runs. Is that a good
strategy to keep legs fresh and not spend too much time pounding. They
usually feel pretty good after running hard.

Thanks in advance

Matt p

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon and Half Marathon -- brief report duanemorse Running 2 July 21st 04 10:40 PM
Help! 800cal/day = good diet or ED? "Eat less, do more" not working? VLCD trap? vlcd_hell Weights 126 February 7th 04 01:21 AM
Half Ironman UK eddwalker Triathalon 3 September 7th 03 05:04 PM
AD: City of Canberra Half Ironman Triathlon - Australia Nick Munting Triathalon 0 September 5th 03 02:55 PM
From Olympic to Half Ironman Cow Parsley Man Triathalon 2 August 23rd 03 06:50 PM