Easy change from Aero Bar to Drop Bar ???

Old September 12th 03, 12:39 AM

Default Easy change from Aero Bar to Drop Bar ???

I have a road bike with a drop bar and would like to change to an aero
bar with bar end shifters. I do intend to change them back and forth
quite often.

What I'm looking for is a sort of cable interface/quick connect (for
gear shifter and brakes levels) that would allow me to take one handle
bar off and replace it by the other without re-adjusting gears and
brakes.

Is that possible ???
Please let me know where I could find such interface/quick connect !!!

Thanks for your help !!!
Old September 12th 03, 01:51 AM
Witheld

wrote in message
om...
I have a road bike with a drop bar and would like to change to an aero
bar with bar end shifters. I do intend to change them back and forth
quite often.

What I'm looking for is a sort of cable interface/quick connect (for
gear shifter and brakes levels) that would allow me to take one handle
bar off and replace it by the other without re-adjusting gears and
brakes.

Is that possible ???
Please let me know where I could find such interface/quick connect !!!

The world would beat a path to your door. : )

When you think about it, there is fairly constant tension on your cables.
Disconnecting and reconnecting would have to be so precise that I do not
think you could get around having to readjust your group.

Many years ago, I tried a device called a "3rd Hand Brake Lever". You
spliced into your rear brake cable and installed a third lever onto your
aerobars. In most cases, it diminished rear braking power because it added
some play to the cable travel. It was a permanent setup though, not
something you popped on & off.

These days, I train and race the same basic rig. I just swap out the stem
and bars from Crit/STI, to Bullhorn/Bar-end shifters. I also swap the seat
post.

Good Luck,

rsquared

Old September 12th 03, 07:44 PM
MSA

In article , rodrig462
@yahoo.com says...
These days, I train and race the same basic rig. I just swap out the stem
and bars from Crit/STI, to Bullhorn/Bar-end shifters. I also swap the seat
post.

For what reason do you swap the seatpost? Aero, angle??

Mark

Old September 15th 03, 03:10 AM
Witheld

For what reason do you swap the seatpost? Aero, angle??

Mark

Correct - the "effective" seat tube angle. Where I live & ride, hills are
not particularly long (perhaps a quarter mile is average), but they are
strenuous.

The riding where I live is fairly technical; you rarely have an opportunity
to get into a steady aerobic rhythm for more than a quarter mile. There are
very few routes I can take that would make a tri-fit practical.

The hills are steep/strenuous. Very challenging because I don't race on
anything like it.
I switch to a tri-fit for a few weeks before an upcoming race.

rsquared

Old September 15th 03, 07:47 AM
Asweepay

What I'm looking for is a sort of cable interface/quick connect (for
gear shifter and brakes levels) that would allow me to take one handle
bar off and replace it by the other without re-adjusting gears and
brakes.

Is that possible ???
Please let me know where I could find such interface/quick connect !!!

I have seen this kind of device for shifter cables in a magazine a few
years ago. They didn't have one for brakes, presumably because the
force applied to the unit would cause it to break. I have no idea if
they are still being made, but if you keep asking around you may find
something.

Old September 15th 03, 03:02 PM
Mike Lana

You may want to ask yourself, What is the benefit. Many people use
drop bars with sti shifters and clip on aerobars effectivly. I don't
know if I would go through the hassle to gain the extra 3 seconds on
the bike. There are easier ways to save that time.
Good Luck
Mike