Down Sleeping Bags and the Outdoor Show

Old April 1st 04, 08:00 PM
Andy Howell

Default Down Sleeping Bags and the Outdoor Show

There is something rather annoying about having the Outdoor Show in Brum for
the weekend, especially when on Wednesday I head out to Snowdonia for a
week. The temptation to buy all kinds of things this weekend is - I suspect
- going to be far too great.

In general I want to reduce the weight in my pack and there are two things
that are in my sights for replacement, my sleeping bag and my Thermorest.
The Thermorest is quite straightforward but I wonder if any of you can give
me some advice on the bag.

I currently use a synthetic bag which is quite heavy. But the down bags
that I have been looking at from Mountain Equipment are really not that much
lighter although to be fair my old Coleman Bag may well be much heavier than
it says on the label! But there seems to be a Rab 3 season bag which weighs
in at about half a kilogram: does anyone have any experience of this bag or
of the other alternatives?

--
Andy Howell
Birmingham, UK

Old April 2nd 04, 01:20 AM
druidh

"Andy Howell" wrote in message
[...]

For info - I've just bought a Mountain Hardware Phantom 32. Rated to 0C and
weighing in at 600g. I did quite a bit of research before reaching this
choice. I've an Excel spreadhseet with lots of weights / ratings and prices
should you care for a copy. I was looking at bags rated down to
around -5C - which qualifies for only two seasons up here in the frozen
North! Nowt wrong with Rab bags tho - I've a Summit 600 which I use for
winter camping.

One small point to watch for - some of the very light bags have no zips. In
my opinion, that rules them out of Summer use, which means that they're also
two season - Spring and Autumn.

Other makes to look out for??

Marmot Hydrogen (595g)
Rab Summit 300 Half-zip (820g)
PHD Minim 400 (700g)
Kimmlite Q700 (700g)
Mountain Equipment Dewline (730g)
Mountain Equipment Skyline (only 560g but also only rated down to +5C)

How accurate are the temperature ratings? Well, Rab seem to be fairly
conservative - the others I don't know much about.

druidh

Old April 3rd 04, 03:44 PM
AndyP

"druidh" wrote

One small point to watch for - some of the very light bags have no zips.

In
my opinion, that rules them out of Summer use, which means that they're

also
two season - Spring and Autumn.

I've got a bag with no zip. No problem to get in and out of. No problem
being comfortable over a wide range of temperature, hat on fully clothed,
hat off, clothes off, uncover your head, one arm out, 2 arms out, pulled
down from your chest a bit, sleep on top of it. If my top half's
comfortable my bottom half follows suit. I can't see the point of full
length zips at all apart from zipping 2 together. Mountain equipment have
actually increased the zip length on some of their bags to go all the way
around the bottom. Do people really leave the top zipped up and open the
bottom to cool their feet? Presumably that would also mean you can't zip 2
together either.

Old April 3rd 04, 11:25 PM
druidh

"AndyP" wrote in message
"druidh" wrote

One small point to watch for - some of the very light bags have no zips.

In
my opinion, that rules them out of Summer use, which means that they're

also
two season - Spring and Autumn.

I've got a bag with no zip. No problem to get in and out of. No problem
being comfortable over a wide range of temperature, hat on fully clothed,
hat off, clothes off, uncover your head, one arm out, 2 arms out, pulled
down from your chest a bit, sleep on top of it. If my top half's
comfortable my bottom half follows suit. I can't see the point of full
length zips at all apart from zipping 2 together. Mountain equipment have
actually increased the zip length on some of their bags to go all the way
around the bottom. Do people really leave the top zipped up and open the
bottom to cool their feet?

Yes - really!

Presumably that would also mean you can't zip 2
together either.

I always found that the problem with zipping two together was the large gap
whcih inevitably developed bwteen the "necks" of the two occupants - and the
subsequent entry of cold air.

druidh

Old April 4th 04, 11:33 PM
Julie Meikle

"
Do people really leave the top zipped up and open the
bottom to cool their feet?

Yes all the time! I hate feeling confined so I usually stick my paws
out....I'm considering replacing my ME Sleepwalker 2 with a new model. I'm
glad to see ME have added extended the zip all the way around the footbed on
these models ...first brought in on the Down Dreamcatcher models.. I nearly
went for one of those, but reckoned that the need to use a liner was pretty
high on a down bag and that meant not sticking my foot out!

Julie

Old April 6th 04, 12:26 AM
Dean

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:53:44 +0100, Fran wrote:

said...
Do people really leave the top zipped up and open the
bottom to cool their feet?

Has been known. Actually, it's what I do a lot of the time, because
I can't bear having hot feet, but OTOH I like to have my shoulders
and arms nice and toasty at night.

Same here. Having a bag that you can vent from the botom is worth the extra
zip weight!

My question re down bags would be whether or not they'd be suitable
for allergy sufferers. Anyone know?

There are many asmtha suffers with a feather allergy. My brothers asmtha
has all but disappeared, but feathers would still trigger an asmathic
reaction. That, and city traffic pollution are the 2 main causes for him.

Old April 6th 04, 12:48 AM
Dean

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:44:40 +0100, AndyP wrote:

"druidh" wrote

[...]

Why does that mean you can't zip 2 together? You need a full length zip to
be able to do that surely. I've never had the need/oppurtunity ;-) to zip
two together but thought it'd be worth getting one with a full length zip
just in case :-)