TR - Fisherfield - Day Three

Old June 15th 06, 06:46 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default TR - Fisherfield - Day Three

Looking out from my tent early in the morning the cloud was almost down
as far as the Loch so I decided against getting up at that time. Half
an hour later the cloud was breaking up and I could see part of the
hillside so it was time to get up and have breakfast. I was very
surprised to find that my client was bright and breezy and raring to
tackle the final two Munros of this backpacking trip.

We set off around 7.30am and retraced the final section of the previous
day's walk as far as Gleann na Muice Beag and took the good quality
path up this Glen. It later climbed steeply before easing
considerably as it crossed some heathery and boggy ground. We were
now in very remote country miles from any habitation. The path
traversed round the north side of the double Lochan Feith Mhi'-illean
before heading south towards Fuar Loch Mor.

As we progressed our way up this path, watched by several deer hinds,
the cloud was breaking up and we entered some really spectacular
scenery. The condition of the path deteriorated the higher we reached
but it was still in reasonable condition and near the bealach between
Ruadh Stac Mor and A'Mhaighdean it consisted of slab rock.

Once at the bealach we set off for A'Mhaighdean with views back down
our ascent route to the Fuar Loch Mor and on the other side to some of
the Munros we had climbed the previous day.

We climbed onto A'Mhaighdean's south ridge where we stopped and spoke
to the other hill walking group who were all enjoying the sun that now
engulfed the mountains. A final short walk took us to the summit of
A'Mhaighdean and the awesome views out over the Dubh and Fionn Lochs to
the Sea of the Hebrides. This in my opinion is one of the best views
from any mountain in Scotland and my client agreed.

Lunch was taken at the summit taking in the views before reluctantly
leaving the summit and returning to the bealach. En-route we met some
other walkers, who had possibly come in from Poolewe in a long day
walk. We also saw the Leeds couple we were heading up onto this
wonderful mountain summit.

The next section had been worrying my client since she first saw it,
the ascent of Ruadh Stac Mor. It involved climbing through a rock
face before reaching a boulder field. My client was very nervous so I
had to talk her through the rock face and onto the easier boulder
field. From there we worked our way to the summit trig point where we
had another break.

In earlier days I used to return to the bealach and follow the route we
ascended that morning but more recently I have descended Ruadh Stac Mor
by its south ridge before dropping to Lochan a'Bhraghad being careful
to avoid several rocky outcrops which are not shown on the map. This
is what we did on this occasion and my client was pleased as she didn't
fancy the descent to the bealach through the rocks.

On the descent we were again watched by some hinds before we reached
the south side of Loch a' Bhraghad and followed the outflow until it
changed direction. From here we climbed onto the path we used earlier
that day and followed it back down Gleann na Muice Beag and into Gleann
na Muice. The route back to Shenavall was then the same as the
previous day but at least on this occasion my client wasn't as
exhausted.

We reached Shenavall for a well earned rest and meal some 12 hours
after setting out.

Lindsay
www.caledoniahilltreks.com