A Fitness & exercise forum. FitnessBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FitnessBanter.com forum » Fitness & Exercise » Weights
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

I have a question about bench press and avoiding injury.

Old September 10th 17, 05:15 PM

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Dec 2016
Default I have a question about bench press and avoiding injury.

I'm a 49 year old, 170 lbs, man. I don't heal as fast anymore. I've experienced small muscle strains turn into serious injuries by not paying close enough attention to them. So, recently I was doing the bench press. I felt shoulder pain on the second set. I stopped and later googled bench pressing and injuries.
My normal practice is to bench press a weight 12 times or reps for three sets. When I can do that for a month or more, I increase the weight. I had recently increased the weight to 130 lbs. At this point I could do 12 on the first rep, 9 on the second, and 7 on the third.
One of the sites I read from the web said doing 10 or 12 reps and three sets was to many reps for the muscles involved while doing the bench press. It recommended doing 5 reps and 5 sets. It said only to do 8 max. When you can do 6 reps go up on the weight 6 to 10 lbs. Any opinions about this, or advice about how to avoid muscle strain. My form is good by the way.