Blacking out during high intensity cardio?

Old September 15th 04, 12:43 AM
stepdawn

Default Blacking out during high intensity cardio?

This is a very recent problem, but of course I am doing higher intensity
cardio than I ever have before. The last two times I did my high intensity
workouts (kickboxing and just regular aerobics) I got very dizzy about 3/4
of the way through and had to lie down. On Sunday I blacked out for a
moment during the aerobic one. This is not the first time I have done
either workout, and I have not had a problem before. I am in good health,
see a doctor regularly, and am checked out for exercise.

The only thing I can think of is that I have low blood pressure. Not
clinically, dangerously low, but around 110/70 or 100/60. I don't think
that's dangerous, anyway. But if exercise is good for lowering your blood
pressure, then could mine be even lower now after almost two months of
higher intensity, more frequent cardio?

I guess I should call my doctor but I thought maybe you folks would have
some ideas. Maybe not enough water, or electrolytes, or something?

Dawn

Old September 15th 04, 02:43 PM
Steve Freides

"stepdawn" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

Your doctor should be consulted immediately. From what little I know on
this subject, 110/70 is OK but 100/60 is considered quite low.
Certainly trying salt, a sports drink, or both is worth a try as long as
your doctor says it's OK.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old September 15th 04, 04:16 PM
Nick Breems

Hi Dawn:

Aside from the obvious advice about consulting your doctor immediately, I'd
also consider switching to a type of exercise where you're less likely to
get hurt if you black out suddenly. A recumbent stationary bike comes to
mind...

Nick

news:[email protected]

Old October 5th 04, 01:36 PM
Shannon

Hi Dawn; Try consulting a personal trainer, or a nutritionist, someone
who specializes in the fitness/nutrition field. Also you may not be
eating enough calories in comparison to your workouts. More intense
workouts need more energy, more energy=more calories. Also try
drinking green tea, and lots of water.

Shannon

"Nick Breems" wrote in message ...
Hi Dawn:

Aside from the obvious advice about consulting your doctor immediately, I'd
also consider switching to a type of exercise where you're less likely to
get hurt if you black out suddenly. A recumbent stationary bike comes to
mind...

Nick

news:[email protected]

Old October 27th 04, 07:28 PM
Mandy

Hey Dawn!
I was alarmed after reading your posting. I have experienced the
same situation on occasion after going through an extremely intensive
cardiovascular workout. Not only has it happened after working out,
but also when I was actually in the doctor's office one day getting
blood drawn. I was thankful the doctor was there to witness the
situation, but still am very clueless as to what is going on with my
body. The doctor suggested that I might have low blood sugar. But
the only conclusion I have come to is what someone else posted:
caloric intake. Especially when training to a high intensity level,
your body is burning mega amounts of calories and it needs to be
replenished. I've found that doing a "mini-carbo loading" before
intense workouts (eating a few more complex carbs than I would during
a typical meal) helps me to maintain my intensity and endurance during
such workouts. Also, I drink water AND Gatorade during my work out to
make sure that I'm replenishing all those electrolytes that may be
lost during the workout. Make sure you're listening to your body. If
you start to feel dizzy, slow down your pace to allow your heart rate
to gradually decrease so that you don't provoke the idea of passing
out. Bring some sort of sports drink or complex carb food with you to
the gym JUST IN CASE!!! Make sure you ask the doctor about your blood
sugar level as well--hypo/hyperglycemia may be a factor! Take care!

Mandy

news:[email protected]

Old October 30th 04, 03:58 AM
Lovebug061781

Mandy,
I am hypoglycemic.I have always been able to handle it well but since I got
pregnant it was a rollercoaster ride in the beginning. I have now found that if
I have a teaspoon of low fat peanut butter in the morning my sugar level
remains constant and I feel great!!
-Nicole
Old November 9th 04, 03:23 AM
NotSoFastNiz

Another thing that it could be, is a lack of oxygen. Sometimes if the body is
working to hard you siometimes start to lose some oxygen. The easiest way to
check it is by looking at the inside of your bottom lip. If it is discolored or
blue in color, then your body is lacking oxygen.
Hope you find out waht is causing them spells.
Marie Trzil
Old November 9th 04, 03:34 AM
NotSoFastNiz

Another thing that it could be is a lack of oxygen. Sometimes if the body is
working too hard you sometimes start to lose some oxygen. The easiest way to
check your oxygen, is to look at the inside of your bottom lip. If it is
discolored or blue in color, then your body is lacking some oxygen.

Marie Trzil