What's the point of joining a gym?

Old November 7th 04, 03:13 PM
Chris

Default What's the point of joining a gym?

I'm doing some research and am wondering what it is that people are
really looking for when they sign up to a gym?

When you have that first assessment, what is it that you really want
to know from them?

And, as time goes by, what is it that keeps you going?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Chris
Old November 7th 04, 05:15 PM
Per Elmsäter

Chris wrote:
I'm doing some research and am wondering what it is that people are
really looking for when they sign up to a gym?

When you have that first assessment, what is it that you really want
to know from them?

And, as time goes by, what is it that keeps you going?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Chris

In the beginning I thought it was all about how clean the locker room and
showers where. Now I realize that is of no importance if they don't get a
Powerrack

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Old November 7th 04, 05:30 PM
JayB

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
I'm doing some research and am wondering what it is that people are
really looking for when they sign up to a gym?

1. Power Rack
2. Olympic weight set
3. Bench
4. Dumbbells
5. Pull-up bar
6. Locker room
7. Water fountain
8. Indoor track is a plus

When you have that first assessment, what is it that you really want
to know from them?

I visit the gym at the time I would normally workout there and look at the
weight room and make sure they have everything I need to obtain my goals. I
also compare the amount of equipment they have to how many people are
currently working out.

And, as time goes by, what is it that keeps you going?

Motivation from my progress!

--
JayB

Old November 7th 04, 07:59 PM
Peter Allen

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
I'm doing some research and am wondering what it is that people are
really looking for when they sign up to a gym?

Good barbells+decent weights+decent amount of room to use them
Cheap
Clean (in the hygiene sense, could care less if messy)
Good range of dumbbells
Water available
Rowing machine, exercise bike
jacuzzi

in that order, last two not really needed (I prefer to do cardio work out in
the open air on real kit).

When you have that first assessment, what is it that you really want
to know from them?

That after this they'll sod off and leave me to do my work.

And, as time goes by, what is it that keeps you going?

Wanting to improve my rowing, which means increasing strength endurance and
putting on another kilo or so of muscle, right now.

Peter

Old November 7th 04, 08:15 PM
Mistress Krista

In article ,
(Chris) wrote:

I'm doing some research and am wondering what it is that people are
really looking for when they sign up to a gym?

Decent, clean, well maintained facilities including a good range of free
weights and cages/racks.
A gym environment that is community oriented, not necessarily overly social,
but caters to a fairly wide range of people.
Gym management that attempts to be inclusive and doesn't mind particular
lifts or chalk use as long as the people who engage in such things are grown
up about it.
I make fun of stuff like juice bars, but in gyms that had them, I always
enjoyed indulging in some hippie fruit yeast wheatgrass ginseng
something-or-other after a workout.

When you have that first assessment, what is it that you really want
to know from them?

Whether they are going to be used-car salespeople assholes trying to rip me
off by playing on my (perceived) insecurities and ignorance, or whether they
genuinely have a clue and are honest business people.

And, as time goes by, what is it that keeps you going?

Habit.

Convenience, although I'm prepared to sacrifice more than most people are.

Necessity--I don't have any space for a cage and heavy bag.

I like learning new things, so being able to do something like a boxing
class keeps me interested.

Krista

--
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
http://www.trans-health.com

Old November 8th 04, 01:26 AM
Isiafs5

(Chris)

When you have that first assessment, what is it that you really want
to know from them?

I look for the equipment equal to that of Bally's without all the control
freaks running around controlling me. Also, no lame used car salesmen type
people that you must speak with as in talking to a Bally's sales rep.

I once walked into a Ballys. The receptionist treated me like I was in third
grade. I had a simple questions that she refused to answer and instead tried
to steer me toward a sales rep.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

Old November 8th 04, 02:22 PM
Isiafs5

I'm doing some research and am wondering what it is that people are
really looking for when they sign up to a gym?

My cousin's wife looks for an all female gym. She told me that it was just too
distracting and annoying to have guys hitting on her all the time at coed gyms
even though she wore here wedding ring.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

Need advice on bench press weak point bleh Weights 50 August 15th 04 04:34 AM
Advice on joining a gym Robert Duffy General 3 July 8th 04 07:19 PM
Advice on joining a gym Robert Duffy Weights 94 June 17th 04 10:32 PM
Photos - Formby Point Icarus Walking 0 April 14th 04 08:44 PM
Considering joining a gym? Think twice! Denis Morissette Weights 44 March 22nd 04 12:14 AM