What's the point of joining a gym?

Old November 9th 04, 07:28 PM
slotman1958

As far as I'm concerned..it comes down to...is it close to
home?..convienient? Will you go? Thats what really matters. Most gyms
are pretty good compared to what you spend monthly and what it would
cost to build your own. ****..just look at a good eliptical machine.
They are about 2 grand. Thats just one machine..not counting all the
weights..hammerstrenght stuff and the tons of other things a gym
offers. Usually for less than 50 bucks a month. Damn good investment
as long as you use it.

Pfah. We don't need no steenkin macheens. $1500US will buy you a sweet
home set-up with a power cage with lat pulldown & low row, a bench, plenty
of plates, lots of dumbells, a couple of decent bars, and some really nice
mats to put it on. The whole thing fits into a bedroom as long as you
don't plan on putting anything else in there. If you want aerobics,
that'll cost you extra but hell, you can always just jog around your
neighborhood.

I bought a complete, like-new olympic set at a garage sale for $150.
Spent another $250 on a heavy-duty bench w/squat rack, and about $40
on dumbbells. I also have a doorway chinning bar that cost $25.

The downside, I can't do some of the machine movements, cable curls,
etc. but I wouldn't do them at the gym anyway.

The upside, I have access 24/7 and don't have to worry about missing a
workout if my schedule gets rearranged and I don't have time to drive
20 minutes to the gym just to find out that they've closed the free
weight room for painting or something.

Slotman
Old November 10th 04, 01:01 AM
Hannah Rowe

(slotman1958) wrote in message . com...
[...]

The gym is where you can get away from everything. I think getting a
membership is the best thing you can do. With a gym at home, I found
that you get too easily distracted with all that is going on in the
house. If you go to a gym, you are forced to get your workout and the
variety of what to do is so much greater. People are there to help
you and I lift a lot harder just because there is someone there able
to spot me on the machines. I say if you use it, it will be one of the
best investments you will ever make, its your health. Good Luck!
Hannah
Old November 11th 04, 04:47 AM
Kermit

(Chris) wrote in message . com...
I'm doing some research and am wondering what it is that people are
really looking for when they sign up to a gym?

Equipment, hours, locker.

When you have that first assessment, what is it that you really want
to know from them?

I don't remember ever asking anything from gym employees. Maybe if I'd
been a member of one of those *serious *iron places. I've only had
membership in the semiserious all things for all exercisers suburban
places, which are good, but I would just get in and workout and leave.

And, as time goes by, what is it that keeps you going?

Staying in that apartment would have done it. Now we have a house
again, I dusted off my stuff in storage and now work out in the
garage, like I used to. I have a good cage with a chinning bar, a low
and high cable, adjustable heavy duty bench with leg attachment. Rack
with dumbells, tree for plates.

No Olympic set, but a six foot bar. I'll never squat more than 300
lbs, so an ordinary bar does it for me But the cage is important,
and being able to just grab a pair of DBs without fiddling with the
plates is great.

My wife is a dream; she let me spend our income tax return (good
returns for mortage payers) on the whole shebang about ...19 years
ago. Still banging away on this gear.

I'm not very gregarious; the 3 years I was in the apartment and went
to the gym, I never talked to the folks. Gym society can be important
to many people, even an important motivator. Just not an issue with
me.

But having everything at hand is a big factor.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Chris

Kermit
53 and holding
Old November 11th 04, 06:24 AM
Jeff Finlayson

Hannah Rowe wrote:

The gym is where you can get away from everything. I think getting a
membership is the best thing you can do. With a gym at home, I found
that you get too easily distracted with all that is going on in the
house. If you go to a gym, you are forced to get your workout and the
variety of what to do is so much greater.

True. But gyms are not free of all distractions.

People are there to help
you and I lift a lot harder just because there is someone there able
to spot me on the machines.

Using a spotter on machines largely defeats the purpose.
Now a spotter on free weight exercises is a good thing.

Old November 11th 04, 06:43 AM
dwacon

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
I'm doing some research and am wondering what it is that people are
really looking for when they sign up to a gym?

Equipment I can't affort...

Women I'll never sleep with...

Someone to pick up towels I drop on floor...

--
Shave Your Coochy with Green Tea!
http://tinyurl.com/6v9bp

Old November 11th 04, 09:08 AM
Watson Davis

Lucas Buck wrote in
news:1099989006.B/[email protected]:

On 9 Nov 2004 05:24:13 GMT, Watson Davis
wrote:

"Jim" wrote in
:

"User" wrote in message
I'm doing some research and am wondering what it is that people
are really looking for when they sign up to a gym?

I don't go to a gym but I will probably start soon. Simple reason
is that I can squat more than I can lift up onto my shoulders, so I
need a cage, and the wife won't let me buy one. Nor do I have the
room.

[...]

When I'm using a gym, I don't use anything I don't have at home.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Yeah, but not everybody gets said gym moved cross-country for them
every coupla years for free.

Well... yeah... but... not every body moves across the country every
couple of years, either. I've heard that some people actually live in
the same house for... 5-6 years at a stretch.

And, now that you mention it, we have lived here for a year now... and...
well... we've never lived in Florida... so... uh...

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis
Old November 11th 04, 02:38 PM
Lee Michaels

"Watson Davis" wrote in message
.209...
Lucas Buck wrote in
news:1099989006.B/[email protected]:

On 9 Nov 2004 05:24:13 GMT, Watson Davis
wrote:

"Jim" wrote in
:

"User" wrote in message
[...]

Well, you could be in luck Watson.

In Florida, Moma Nature will move you free of charge at least two or three
times every year with a lot of wind and rain.

This, along with millions of alligators and insects the size of birds.

Sounds like a winner.

Old November 11th 04, 03:39 PM

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Watson Davis" wrote in message
.209...
Lucas Buck wrote in
news:1099989006.B/[email protected]:

On 9 Nov 2004 05:24:13 GMT, Watson Davis
wrote:

"Jim" wrote in
:

"User" wrote in message
[...]

'a lot of wind' seems to be your trademark, still

Old November 11th 04, 07:41 PM
Watson Davis

"Lee Michaels" wrote in
:

"Watson Davis" wrote in message
.209...
Lucas Buck wrote in
news:1099989006.B/[email protected]:
Yeah, but not everybody gets said gym moved cross-country for them
every coupla years for free.

Well... yeah... but... not every body moves across the country every
couple of years, either. I've heard that some people actually live
in the same house for... 5-6 years at a stretch.

And, now that you mention it, we have lived here for a year now...
and... well... we've never lived in Florida... so... uh...

Well, you could be in luck Watson.

In Florida, Moma Nature will move you free of charge at least two or
three times every year with a lot of wind and rain.

This, along with millions of alligators and insects the size of birds.

Sounds like a winner.

Yeah. It will almost be like going back home.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Need advice on bench press weak point bleh Weights 50 August 15th 04 05:34 AM
Advice on joining a gym Robert Duffy General 3 July 8th 04 08:19 PM
Advice on joining a gym Robert Duffy Weights 94 June 17th 04 11:32 PM
Photos - Formby Point Icarus Walking 0 April 14th 04 09:44 PM
Considering joining a gym? Think twice! Denis Morissette Weights 44 March 22nd 04 01:14 AM