What's the point of joining a gym?

Old November 11th 04, 11:48 PM
Lucas Buck

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:38:06 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Watson Davis" wrote in message
2.209...
Lucas Buck wrote in
news:1099989006.B/[email protected]:

On 9 Nov 2004 05:24:13 GMT, Watson Davis
wrote:

"Jim" wrote in
:

"User" wrote in message
I'm doing some research and am wondering what it is that people
are really looking for when they sign up to a gym?

I don't go to a gym but I will probably start soon. Simple reason
is that I can squat more than I can lift up onto my shoulders, so I
need a cage, and the wife won't let me buy one. Nor do I have the
room.

As far as I'm concerned..it comes down to...is it close to
home?..convienient? Will you go? Thats what really matters. Most
gyms are pretty good compared to what you spend monthly and what it
would cost to build your own. ****..just look at a good eliptical
machine. They are about 2 grand. Thats just one machine..not
counting all the weights..hammerstrenght stuff and the tons of other
things a gym offers. Usually for less than 50 bucks a month. Damn
good investment as long as you use it.

Pfah. We don't need no steenkin macheens. $1500US will buy you a
sweet home set-up with a power cage with lat pulldown & low row, a
bench, plenty of plates, lots of dumbells, a couple of decent bars,
and some really nice mats to put it on. The whole thing fits into a
bedroom as long as you don't plan on putting anything else in there.
If you want aerobics, that'll cost you extra but hell, you can always
just jog around your neighborhood.

When I'm using a gym, I don't use anything I don't have at home.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Yeah, but not everybody gets said gym moved cross-country for them
every coupla years for free.

Well... yeah... but... not every body moves across the country every
couple of years, either. I've heard that some people actually live in
the same house for... 5-6 years at a stretch.

And, now that you mention it, we have lived here for a year now... and...
well... we've never lived in Florida... so... uh...

Well, you could be in luck Watson.

In Florida, Moma Nature will move you free of charge at least two or three
times every year with a lot of wind and rain.

This, along with millions of alligators and insects the size of birds.

Sounds like a winner.

Plus, any basement would likely be underwater... which should help his bench
press.

Old November 12th 04, 07:40 PM
Watson Davis

Lucas Buck wrote in
news:[email protected]:

Plus, any basement would likely be underwater... which should help
his bench press.

I'm trying to think of a witty comeback. I keep getting foiled by the
truth of the statement...

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis
Old November 14th 04, 07:20 PM
rick++

Not too crowded when I there.

A nice hot tub to soak in afterwards.
Old November 17th 04, 11:49 PM
Larisa

"User" wrote in message ...
Usually for less than 50 bucks a month. Damn good investment as long as
you use it.

This is my only hangup with joining. I like working out at home because its
convenient. At the same time, if I can drag my lazy ass to a gym, I'd
probably be more motivated, being there.

That's why I joined. I have dumbbells at home, and probably could
lift them just as well at home as in the gym. But somehow, when I'm
at home, I'm magnetically attracted to the couch; and when I'm at the
gym, there's no couch there so I actually grab the weights and lift
them.

LM

Need advice on bench press weak point bleh Weights 50 August 15th 04 05:34 AM
Advice on joining a gym Robert Duffy General 3 July 8th 04 08:19 PM
Advice on joining a gym Robert Duffy Weights 94 June 17th 04 11:32 PM
Photos - Formby Point Icarus Walking 0 April 14th 04 09:44 PM
Considering joining a gym? Think twice! Denis Morissette Weights 44 March 22nd 04 01:14 AM