Girl exercises?

Old November 9th 04, 03:10 PM
Tony Miller

Default Girl exercises?

I am in a mixed gym (men and women go there) and I stepped into an
exercise class that one of the ladies was teaching. This wasn't aerobic,
but was a lot of floor work.

I noticed that I was not able to do a couple of the exercises that the
instructor was leading. The ladies seemed to be having no trouble with
them, but I could not make my hips work that way.

This is going to sound really ignorant, but I know men and women are built
differently (duh) but are there gender specific joint differences which
would preclude my doing some of the exercises?

-Tony

PS: I was the only man in the class.

--
Reliable, Unix shell accounts. http://www.jtan.com/proshell/
cl00bie @ IRC - /server cookie.sorcery.net 9000, http://www.sorcery.net
Old November 9th 04, 03:22 PM
Steve Freides

"Tony Miller" wrote in message
I am in a mixed gym (men and women go there) and I stepped into an
exercise class that one of the ladies was teaching. This wasn't
aerobic,
but was a lot of floor work.

I noticed that I was not able to do a couple of the exercises that the
instructor was leading. The ladies seemed to be having no trouble
with
them, but I could not make my hips work that way.

This is going to sound really ignorant, but I know men and women are
built
differently (duh) but are there gender specific joint differences
which
would preclude my doing some of the exercises?

Probably you can learn to do them, it will just take more work on your
part, e.g., my wife used to dance and could always do splits. I worked
really hard on splits, she started lifting, and now I'm actually a
little better at splits than she is. For flexibility stuff, Google on
Thomas Kurz and read some of his things, and/or get a book or two by
Pavel Tsatsouline, which is what I did. "Relax Into Stretch" can help
you make dramatic increases in your flexibility in a fairly short period
of time, e.g., getting most of the way into splits in about 6 months.
http://www.kbnj.com/ris.htm is my link to the book.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old November 9th 04, 03:55 PM
Isiafs5

Tony Miller

specific joint differences which
would preclude my doing some of the exercises?

Can you describe one?

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

Old November 9th 04, 06:17 PM
Denise Howard

In article , Tony Miller
wrote:

I noticed that I was not able to do a couple of the exercises that the
instructor was leading. The ladies seemed to be having no trouble with
them, but I could not make my hips work that way.

We need more information. Please describe the exercises you're
referring to?

I've had men and women in my classes over the years and I've yet to
have a case where the men had more trouble with an exercise than the
women due to being male.

--
Denise denise dot howard at comcast dot net
ACE and AFAA certified fitness instructor