3 climbers die

Old March 6th 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default 3 climbers die

just breaking on sky news 3 British climbers die in snowstorms in Spains
sierra nevada mountains.

Old March 6th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

aj wrote:
just breaking on sky news 3 British climbers die in snowstorms in Spains
sierra nevada mountains.

Link on the beeb.

Doesn't add up to me, climbers - getting lost - not properly attired -
sensational journalism again?

David.

--
....41 summits this year so far
40 new (19 Marilyns, 15 Nuttalls, 10 Wainwrights, 18 Birketts)

Old March 6th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Doesn't add up to me, climbers - getting lost - not properly attired -
sensational journalism again?

Maybe they class anyone out in snow conditions on mountains a 'climber'.

Regards not properly attired. Happens regular with good old Brits in this
country, Snowdon a couple of weeks ago an example. And, a week last Friday
when I was making my way south from Helvellyn summit, I noticed a couple in
the snow crouching down, with the guy talking to a girl. She was dressed in
a parka with a hood, denim jeans and trainers. The wind must have been
gusting 35/40 knts, plenty of spin-drift, compact snow and ice and
visibility reasonable to poor. I can only assume they were trying to get to
the summit. I considered questioning there judgment about being out in such
conditions, but thought who am I to regulate the mountains. Can only assume
they made it safe down ....... but maybe not the next time!

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

'Mountains or Mole Hills .....
summiting still brings the
same excitement'

Old March 6th 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

On 6 Mar 2006 07:58:22 -0800, "214Fells" wrote:

* Europe's second-highest mountain range after the Alps
* Houses the Spanish mainland's highest peak, the Mulhacen
* Temperatures can be 14C less than surrounding valleys
* Close to the tourist spots of the Costa del Sol and Granada.

I thought that the Alps were Europe's second largest mountain range
after the Caucasus.
--
Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
Old March 6th 06, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
On 6 Mar 2006 07:58:22 -0800, "214Fells" wrote:

* Europe's second-highest mountain range after the Alps
* Houses the Spanish mainland's highest peak, the Mulhacen
* Temperatures can be 14C less than surrounding valleys
* Close to the tourist spots of the Costa del Sol and Granada.

I thought that the Alps were Europe's second largest mountain range
after the Caucasus.

It depends if your defininition of what constitutes Europe includes the
Caucasus.

--
Mike W

Old March 6th 06, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In article , VisionSet
writes

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
.. .
On 6 Mar 2006 07:58:22 -0800, "214Fells" wrote:

* Europe's second-highest mountain range after the Alps
* Houses the Spanish mainland's highest peak, the Mulhacen
* Temperatures can be 14C less than surrounding valleys
* Close to the tourist spots of the Costa del Sol and Granada.

I thought that the Alps were Europe's second largest mountain range
after the Caucasus.

It depends if your defininition of what constitutes Europe includes the
Caucasus.

Seeing as Europe means west of the Ural mountains yes it does include
the Caucasus.

Mount Elbrus is the highest mountain in Europe, not Mont Blanc / Monte
Bianco.

--

Dominic Sexton
Old March 7th 06, 02:47 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, sandy saunders wrote:

Regards not properly attired. Happens regular with good old Brits in this
country, Snowdon a couple of weeks ago an example. And, a week last Friday
when I was making my way south from Helvellyn summit, I noticed a couple in

When I was walking around Kinder last month there was a small group of
what looked like foreign students walking along in the freezing icy wind
wearing normal city clothes and drinking cans of Stella!

--
Chris
Old March 7th 06, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to Dominic Sexton

It depends if your defininition of what constitutes Europe includes the
Caucasus.

Seeing as Europe means west of the Ural mountains yes it does include
the Caucasus.

Mount Elbrus is the highest mountain in Europe, not Mont Blanc / Monte
Bianco.

and if you use the political definition of Spain, Teide is the
highest mountian.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email [email protected] this site
Old March 7th 06, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

"Dominic Sexton" wrote in message

It depends if your defininition of what constitutes Europe includes the
Caucasus.

Seeing as Europe means west of the Ural mountains yes it does include
the Caucasus.

That is not the only definition of Europe

--
Mike W

Old March 7th 06, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

A more comprehensive article in The Scotsman...

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=343602006

Including the observation ...

"The temperature was -20 degrees centigrade. They were
above 3,000 metres [9,000 ft] and the wind was blasting at
80 kilometres an hour [50mph] "

This is extreme even for the UK, IMO. You'd have to venture
up into the Gorms in the foulest of winter weather to get this.
The incident bares the hallmarks of a straight forward accident
rather than incompetence or negligence.

Chris

re; How i spent Doug Freese Running 165 January 22nd 06 06:57 AM
Vixen Tor access and assaults Tom Walking in the UK 49 September 26th 05 07:42 PM
Climbers traverse - Great Gable Pennineway Walking in the UK 7 August 2nd 05 09:09 AM