3 climbers die

Old March 16th 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default 3 climbers die

The Reid wrote:

No, they hadn't been anywhere near it (170km) so it was a bit tricky
to know the local name!

The other hills seem to have local sounding names mostly.
They would have had guides.
How come they found the names for the others but not the highest,
or did they just name Everest?

Yes, I think they just named Everest initially. They were surveyed from a
distance. They measured a phenomenally accurate baseline in India and
triangulated them all, without going anywhere near them. It took them some
time to figure out which one was the highest, probably had to take the
curvature of the earth into account. The original measurement was amazingly
close to the latest hyper-accurate measurement.

Paul

Old March 16th 06, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to Boo

It took me very little time to get a broad feel for pronouncing
Scottish and Welsh hill names, no doubt I don't get it quite
right, but its all part of the fun. Should the rest of Europe
rename all its places so as to be convenient to English speakers?

Well if they want to sell maps to English people then it would be a help. Of
course no-one else need know anything about it.

English maps often say Florence for Firenze, Venice for Venezia
etc etc, you wont find it a help, you will find it a hindrance,
because, in Italy, they perversely signpost the real names.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email [email protected] this site
Old March 16th 06, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to Boo

Was it? Like K1 K2. If it was me, I'd have changed back when I
found out.

But what a pointless change that would have been !

only pointless if all the points made by people here in other
posts are of no consequence to you.
Old March 16th 06, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

The Reid wrote:
Following up to Paul Saunders

By the same token so was the change to Everest.

Not really. When it was named Everest, they didn't actually know the local
name at the time, did they? It was just one of many unnamed (or unknown)
peaks.

Was it? Like K1 K2. If it was me, I'd have changed back when I
found out.

Depends on the perspective of "unknown". I always marvel when I see
that "Victoria Falls" were "discovered" by Livingstone. You can imagine
the locals being amazed to find out what that roaring sound they'd been
wondering about around the corner for all those years actually /was/... ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 16th 06, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In article , The Reid
writes
Following up to Dominic Sexton

Not really. When it was named Everest, they didn't actually know the local
name at the time, did they?

No, they hadn't been anywhere near it (170km) so it was a bit tricky to
know the local name!

The other hills seem to have local sounding names mostly.
They would have had guides.

Yes but it wasn't until the 1920s that westerners went anywhere near the
hill IIRC.

How come they found the names for the others but not the highest,
or did they just name Everest?

I expect they just names the highest because it was special - before the
height was calculated it was known as Peak XV.

I expect the other local names were discovered and applied as they
became accessible.

--

Dominic Sexton
Old March 16th 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

The Reid wrote:

I know. How does that fit together? I mean its obvious why
Snowdonia, why Eryri?

It means eagles. Apparently there were eagles flapping around the summits
back in the olden days...

Paul

Old March 16th 06, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

The Reid wrote:

Yes :-) Probably applies to ALL names. I like pen y helgi dhu
(sp?) though.

du

Top of the black hound?

Paul

Old March 16th 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In article , Paul Saunders
writes
Boo wrote:

Rather like Snowdon.

You mean Mount Taffy ?

No, that'd be Pen y Fan.

Paul

Shouldn't that be Penny Fan ?..:-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old March 16th 06, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

The Reid wrote:

English maps often say Florence for Firenze, Venice for Venezia
etc etc, you wont find it a help, you will find it a hindrance,
because, in Italy, they perversely signpost the real names.

Happened to me once in Wales. I spent ages driving around looking for
Cardigan Rugby Club. Asked for directions twice, drove past it three times,
before I realised...

Paul

Old March 16th 06, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Peter Clinch wrote:

Depends on the perspective of "unknown". I always marvel when I see
that "Victoria Falls" were "discovered" by Livingstone.

It's all relative. I've "discovered" some great hills over the years. No
doubt I'll "discover" more in the future.

The dates of these important discoveries are recorded in my journals, but of
course they're completely irrelevant to anyone else!

Paul

re; How i spent Doug Freese Running 165 January 22nd 06 06:57 AM
Vixen Tor access and assaults Tom Walking in the UK 49 September 26th 05 07:42 PM
Climbers traverse - Great Gable Pennineway Walking in the UK 7 August 2nd 05 09:09 AM