3 climbers die

Old March 20th 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default 3 climbers die

Following up to Paul Saunders

Many Americans already consider American English to be the "standard", and
think we Brits speak it incorrectly.

but what does the rest of the world think?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email [email protected] this site
Old March 20th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

Paul Saunders wrote:
Boo wrote:

There are still some unnamed summits in Wales. Usually boring lumps
that no-one has bothered to name because they are so insignificant. Who
gets to name them? Can I? I'm a local!

Only if you speak Welsh.

Wel, dw i'n siarad dipyn fach o Gymraeg. :-)

Twi hll butgever hallllewd doppydyp plaged !

--
Boo
Old March 20th 06, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

The name Everest is in common use in Nepal among any of the local population
who speak English. This includes most Nepalis with any education at all as
English is taught in the state run schools.

Thanks Bill ! Now I've won this argument I'm ducking out of this thread except
perhaps if anyone needs any further Welsh lessons :-)

--
Boo
Old March 20th 06, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

Many Americans already consider American English to be the "standard", and
think we Brits speak it incorrectly.

but what does the rest of the world think?

"Just give them the f*cking oil for f*cks sake !" ?

--
Boo
Old March 20th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In article , The Reid
writes
Following up to Paul Saunders

Many Americans already consider American English to be the "standard", and
think we Brits speak it incorrectly.

but what does the rest of the world think?

The Americans would - wouldn't they? Of course they're wrong :-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old March 20th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to W. D. Grey

but what does the rest of the world think?

The Americans would - wouldn't they? Of course they're wrong :-)
--
Bill Grey

they cant even spell your name proper! :-)
Old March 20th 06, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In article , The Reid
writes
Following up to W. D. Grey

but what does the rest of the world think?

The Americans would - wouldn't they? Of course they're wrong :-)
--
Bill Grey

they cant even spell your name proper! :-)

True :-)

My wife had to explain to someone that she was Grey with and "e" so that
person then spelled it Greye .......:-+
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old March 20th 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

W. D. Grey wrote:
In article , Paul Saunders
Maybe. But wouldn't a colloquial Welsh speaker be acceptable on a jury?
It's not like they actually have to think much.

It depends on the level of Welsh the defendant was speaking or Dealing
in. There are many colloquialisms that are learned from birth, and if a
"correct" version of whatever is used the local might not get the true
interpretation

Apparently there's a consultation on the jury issue going on at the
moment:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4823058.stm

--
Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales
Old March 20th 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

In article , Rudi Winter
writes
W. D. Grey wrote:
In article , Paul Saunders
Maybe. But wouldn't a colloquial Welsh speaker be acceptable on a jury?
It's not like they actually have to think much.

It depends on the level of Welsh the defendant was speaking or Dealing
in. There are many colloquialisms that are learned from birth, and if a
"correct" version of whatever is used the local might not get the true
interpretation

Apparently there's a consultation on the jury issue going on at the
moment:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4823058.stm

It is my opinion that if the defendant is equally fluent in both English
and Welsh, then for the sake of justice the Official language of the UK
- English should be used. To use Welsh for purely political reasons is
venturing into the dangerous realms of Nationalism.

The other day the R.C.C (I think) criticised highway authorities for
excessive road signs creating "Information Overload" to drivers.. here
in Wales we have I.O due to bi-lingual road signs. They can cause quite
awful confusion to locals never mind visitors.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

re; How i spent Doug Freese Running 165 January 22nd 06 06:57 AM
Vixen Tor access and assaults Tom Walking in the UK 49 September 26th 05 07:42 PM
Climbers traverse - Great Gable Pennineway Walking in the UK 7 August 2nd 05 09:09 AM