A good read

Old October 18th 04, 05:44 PM
The Reids

Default A good read

Having found the copy I bought and forgot about a year ago
combined with lurgy in Wasdale I just read "Mountains of the
mind" cover to cover. Really liked it. A nice change from all
those predictable expedition accounts. Its about why people climb
mountains, although I thought it rather ignored simple sexually
driven competitiveness?

Any other books come out (not expedition accounts unless of
Touching the Void quality) over the last year or so anyone can
recommend?

--
Mike Reid
Review "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk/page63.htm#phil"
Old October 19th 04, 11:01 AM
Chris Gilbert

The Reids wrote

"Mountains of the mind"

I tried and failed. I found it too flowery and wistful to hold my
attention.

Chris
Old October 19th 04, 06:07 PM
Russ Clare

In article , The Reids
writes
Any other books come out (not expedition accounts unless of
Touching the Void quality) over the last year or so anyone can
recommend?

Not that recent (2003), but I have only just come across it:

Life and Limb by Jamie Andrew

JA deals with the tragic and debilitating consequences of being caught
in a storm during a winter ascent of Les Droites in the French Alps.

Gripping and inspirational.
--

Russ Clare
Old October 19th 04, 06:36 PM
Glenn

I've not read this yet, it only arrived from Amazon on Saturday, but...

Between a Rock and a Hard Place: (from the Amazon synopsis) The
unforgettable survival story of the year -- the astonishing, day-by-day
account of Aron Ralston's terrible accident, self-amputation, rescue and
recovery. On Saturday, 26 April 2003, Aron Ralston, a 27-year-old
outdoorsman and adventurer, set off for a day's hike in the Utah canyons.
Eight miles from his truck, he found himself in the middle of a deep and
remote canyon. Then the unthinkable happened: a boulder shifted and snared
his right arm against the canyon wall. He was trapped, facing dehydration,
starvation, hallucinations and hypothermia as night-time temperatures
plummeted. Five and a half days later, Aron Ralston finally came to the
agonising conclusion that anyone who was looking for him was not going to
find him in time. He then made the most difficult decision of his life: his
only hope was to amputate his own arm and get himself to safety.
Miraculously, he survived. Between A Rock And A Hard Place is more than just
an adventure story. It is a brave, honest and above all inspiring account of
one man's valiant effort to survive, and is destined to take its place among
adventure classics such as Touching The Void.

Cheers,

Glenn

Web site: http://www.andromeda-park.demon.co.uk
Speleo Vercors: http://www.speleo-vercors.org

Old October 19th 04, 08:35 PM
Carl

Any other books come out (not expedition accounts unless of
Touching the Void quality) over the last year or so anyone can
recommend?

While this is not the greatest read, in terms of his prose, the
subject is interesting and a little unusual for the mountaneering
genre.

"Spies in the Himalyas"
MS Kohli and Kenneth Conboy
University Press of Kansas 2002

The story of a CIA/India attempt to put a nuclear powered spying
device on top of Nanda Devi, and its loss
(ever wonder why the Sanctuary is a no go zone)
by the way, this is non fiction

Old October 19th 04, 10:17 PM
graham blamey

"The Reids" wrote in message
Having found the copy I bought and forgot about a year ago
combined with lurgy in Wasdale I just read "Mountains of the
mind" cover to cover.

snip
Any other books come out (not expedition accounts unless of
Touching the Void quality) over the last year or so anyone can
recommend?

### Agree with you Mike, I enjoyed it too.
One of the best books I've
read this year is 'Wanderlust-A history of walking' by Rebecca Solnit,
in fact I'm waiting for my wife to finish it so I can read it again
Graham

---

Old October 19th 04, 10:37 PM
Jim Ford

* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
* of violets, as The Reids descended on a shaft
* of golden sunlight, and announced:

Any other books come out (not expedition accounts unless of
Touching the Void quality) over the last year or so anyone can
recommend?

'Mountain Days and Bothy Nights' by David Brown and Ian Mitchell, Luath
Press Ltd., http://www.luath.co.uk, ISBN 0-946487-15-4., is a must for those
that love the Scottish hills. To quote from the back cover:
'Acknowledged as a classic of mountain writing and still in demand ten years
after its first publication, this book takes you into the bothies, howffs
and dosses on the Scottish hills. Fishgut Mac, Desperate Dan, Stumpy and the
Big Yin stalk hill and public house, evading gamekeepers and Royalty wih a
cameraderie which was the trademark of Scots hillwalking in the early days'

Oh - and I almost forgot, it's 7.50!

Regards: Jim Ford
Old October 19th 04, 11:44 PM
Andy Howell

On 19/10/04 5:07 pm, in article , "Russ
Clare" wrote:

Life and Limb by Jamie Andrew

JA deals with the tragic and debilitating consequences of being caught
in a storm during a winter ascent of Les Droites in the French Alps.

Last Christmas my family conspired to all give me books on mountains. A
number of these were anthologies and, after a while, things became horribly
familiar.

.... Two young men go into the mountains, badly prepared, thinking they would
be down in a few hours. They get caught in a storm. Still storms only ever
last 12 hours in these mountains. 5 days later they're loosing toes, waving
to helicopters using the wrong distress signals - and the choppers simply
move on. And of course they don't have enough food or fuel. Sometimes there
is a bit of variation, like one of them dies ...

... And it's been like this for over a hundred years. Truly amazing.

Andy Howell
Birmingham, UK

Old October 20th 04, 11:02 AM
The Reids

Following up to Glenn

He then made the most difficult decision of his life: his
only hope was to amputate his own arm

Jeez!!!! faints
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email [email protected] this site
Old October 20th 04, 11:02 AM
The Reids

Following up to graham blamey

in fact I'm waiting for my wife to finish it so I can read it again

that's a good recommendation!