OS map for android?

Old March 23rd 12, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Mike.. . . .

Default OS map for android?

The "app" OS Map seems not to work any more, I think it may break the
rules for open source OS mapping? What's the best apps for android in
the hillwalking/map area.
I would love 1:25000 on the phone!!
--
Mike... . . . .
Old March 23rd 12, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Alan White[_2_]

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 07:48:39 +0000, Mike.. . . .
wrote:

What's the best apps for android in
the hillwalking/map area.
I would love 1:25000 on the phone!!

Have a look at ViewRanger.

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old March 23rd 12, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
The Welsh Windbag

"Mike.. . . ." wrote
The "app" OS Map seems not to work any more, I think it may break the
rules for open source OS mapping? What's the best apps for android in
the hillwalking/map area.
I would love 1:25000 on the phone!!

My preference is 'My Trails', though at the moment Landranger and Explorer
maps can only be used on-line with this app. They are hopefully going to be
available for off-line use sometime in the not too distant future.

Lyndon

Old March 23rd 12, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
The Welsh Windbag

"Mike.. . . ." wrote
The "app" OS Map seems not to work any more, I think it may break the
rules for open source OS mapping? What's the best apps for android in
the hillwalking/map area.
I would love 1:25000 on the phone!!

Plan B
If you have paper maps and a scanner, you may like to take a look at 'Custom
Maps'. Scan a map, and import it into Custom Maps. You then calibrate it by
picking a reference point and pointing to the corresponding point in Google
Earth. Repeat a couple of times more and the map is available on your
mobile. This is not too much of a hardship for me since I have loads of
paper maps, and prefer to carry A4 scanned sheets rather than the entire
maps, so I scan them anyway. The rest is only a 10 minute job before each
walk to put it on the phone.

It's a bit faffy, but you can incorporate larger scale maps of areas if they
are available. Yesterday, my walk took in a 200 acre woodland with a myriad
of paths not on the Explorer map. I had a more detailed map published by the
local wildlife trust. So I scanned that and imported it, and used when
appropriate instead of the Explorer map. My preference though, as I said in
another reply, is My Trails. I kept that running in the background recording
my track at all times.

Lyndon

Old March 23rd 12, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Mike.. . . .

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:36:00 +0000, Alan
wrote:

Have a look at ViewRanger.

thanks both, will check them out.
--
Mike... . . . .
Old March 23rd 12, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Mike.. . . .

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:32:49 -0000, "The Welsh Windbag"
wrote:

My preference though, as I said in
another reply, is My Trails. I kept that running in the background recording
my track at all times.

this will be more my approach although I do sometimes scan "real" maps
or even cut them up. I have an ELD map, SW I think, and a north Wales
one where a watershed wanders off the edge of the sheet and a couple
of inches taped on saves switching to a second map.
--
Mike... . . . .
Old March 23rd 12, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Craig Wallace

On 23/03/2012 07:48, Mike.. . . . wrote:
The "app" OS Map seems not to work any more, I think it may break the
rules for open source OS mapping? What's the best apps for android in
the hillwalking/map area.
I would love 1:25000 on the phone!!

One option is MM Tracker. It can display maps in QCT (Memory-Map)
format. So very useful if you a copy of Memory-Map, with maps for the
whole country.
Though I don't think it works with maps from the latest version of
Memory-Map, it seems they use a different format.

--
Craig Wallace
http://craig.neogeo.org.uk
Old March 23rd 12, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
JoeJoe

On 23/03/2012 07:48, Mike.. . . . wrote:
The "app" OS Map seems not to work any more, I think it may break the
rules for open source OS mapping? What's the best apps for android in
the hillwalking/map area.
I would love 1:25000 on the phone!!

See AlpineQuest. Best 4 I've spent in a long time... (the free version
is also very good).
Old March 24th 12, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
The Welsh Windbag

Mike.. . . . wrote:
The "app" OS Map seems not to work any more, I think it may break the
rules for open source OS mapping? What's the best apps for android in
the hillwalking/map area.
I would love 1:25000 on the phone!!

"JoeJoe" wrote
See AlpineQuest. Best 4 I've spent in a long time... (the free version is
also very good).

How do get OS Maps on Alpine Quest? Do you use Mobac?
Lyndon

Old March 24th 12, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
JoeJoe

On 24/03/2012 08:25, The Welsh Windbag wrote:
Mike.. . . . wrote:
The "app" OS Map seems not to work any more, I think it may break the
rules for open source OS mapping? What's the best apps for android in
the hillwalking/map area.
I would love 1:25000 on the phone!!

"JoeJoe" wrote
See AlpineQuest. Best 4 I've spent in a long time... (the free
version is also very good).

How do get OS Maps on Alpine Quest? Do you use Mobac?
Lyndon

Yes - Mobile Atlas Creator 1.8.