OS map 5m contours

Old May 5th 09, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Mike Mason

Default OS map 5m contours

Just been setting up a walk near New Radnor for tomorrow and noticed that in
the area contour lines seem to be in 5 metre intervals rather than 10 metre
intervals. I've never seen this before on an OS map. Does anyone know of
other areas where the contours are mapped at 5 metre intervals and is there
any particular reason for this.

Mike Mason

Old May 5th 09, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gerald

Mike Mason wrote:
Just been setting up a walk near New Radnor for tomorrow and noticed that in
the area contour lines seem to be in 5 metre intervals rather than 10 metre
intervals. I've never seen this before on an OS map. Does anyone know of
other areas where the contours are mapped at 5 metre intervals and is there
any particular reason for this.

Mike Mason

Can you be more precise on the location please?

Gerald
Old May 5th 09, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gerald

Gerald wrote:
Mike Mason wrote:
Just been setting up a walk near New Radnor for tomorrow and noticed
that in the area contour lines seem to be in 5 metre intervals rather
than 10 metre intervals. I've never seen this before on an OS map.
Does anyone know of other areas where the contours are mapped at 5
metre intervals and is there any particular reason for this.

Mike Mason

Can you be more precise on the location please?

Gerald

Having checked my maps I see that the Explorer series 1:25,000 are as
you state at 5 m interval contours not just on map 201 for that area but
also on the others I checked. Landranger Series 1:50,000 are 10 m
intervals on map 148 for that area and a few others I checked.

Gerald
Old May 5th 09, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Tom Crispin

On Tue, 5 May 2009 21:21:53 +0100, "Mike Mason"
wrote:

Just been setting up a walk near New Radnor for tomorrow and noticed that in
the area contour lines seem to be in 5 metre intervals rather than 10 metre
intervals. I've never seen this before on an OS map. Does anyone know of
other areas where the contours are mapped at 5 metre intervals and is there
any particular reason for this.

I have about 90 Explorer maps covering most hill regions of the United
Kingdom, other than N. Ireland. I wondered for a while if the maximum
height of the land on the map may be the factor by which OS chooses to
use 5m or 10m contour intervals. However, Explorer 109 goes up to
420m and has contours at 10m intervals; Explorer 201 rises to 610m and
has 5m contours. So that theory is shot to pieces.
Old May 6th 09, 02:28 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Street[_2_]

wrote:

Just been setting up a walk near New Radnor for tomorrow and noticed that in
the area contour lines seem to be in 5 metre intervals rather than 10 metre
intervals. I've never seen this before on an OS map. Does anyone know of
other areas where the contours are mapped at 5 metre intervals and is there
any particular reason for this.

I have about 90 Explorer maps covering most hill regions of the United
Kingdom, other than N. Ireland. I wondered for a while if the maximum
height of the land on the map may be the factor by which OS chooses to
use 5m or 10m contour intervals. However, Explorer 109 goes up to
420m and has contours at 10m intervals; Explorer 201 rises to 610m and
has 5m contours. So that theory is shot to pieces.

But how low does Explorer 201 fall? Perhaps it's to do with total range
on a map not max altitude?
Old May 6th 09, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Tom Crispin

wrote:

Just been setting up a walk near New Radnor for tomorrow and noticed that in
the area contour lines seem to be in 5 metre intervals rather than 10 metre
intervals. I've never seen this before on an OS map. Does anyone know of
other areas where the contours are mapped at 5 metre intervals and is there
any particular reason for this.

I have about 90 Explorer maps covering most hill regions of the United
Kingdom, other than N. Ireland. I wondered for a while if the maximum
height of the land on the map may be the factor by which OS chooses to
use 5m or 10m contour intervals. However, Explorer 109 goes up to
420m and has contours at 10m intervals; Explorer 201 rises to 610m and
has 5m contours. So that theory is shot to pieces.

But how low does Explorer 201 fall? Perhaps it's to do with total range
on a map not max altitude?

119m on the River Lugg was the lowest spot height, and below the 120
contour on both the Rivers Clun and Teme are the lowest points: that
gives the map a range of 491m or less. Explorer 109 falls to the
Atlantic Ocean giving that map a full range of 420m. So that's
another fine theory shot to pieces.
Old May 6th 09, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert[_4_]

Tom Crispin wrote

So that's another fine theory shot to pieces.

What about density of rights of way, and thus liklihood
of access ? It's not unreasonable to make maps that are
more likely to be used in detail more detailed ?

Chris
--
Photography by Chris Gilbert
www.ravenseyegallery.co.uk

Old May 12th 09, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Chris Gilbert wrote:

What about density of rights of way, and thus liklihood
of access ? It's not unreasonable to make maps that are
more likely to be used in detail more detailed ?

Quite possibly. My Gower map has 5m contours, and that's a very popular
area. Not only is it an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, there's also a
lot of National Trust land and Sites of Special Scientific Interest there.
Perhaps that's why it's been mapped in more detail?

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wilderness-images.co.uk

Old May 6th 09, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Dominic Sexton

In article , Mike Mason
writes
Just been setting up a walk near New Radnor for tomorrow and noticed that in
the area contour lines seem to be in 5 metre intervals rather than 10 metre
intervals. I've never seen this before on an OS map. Does anyone know of
other areas where the contours are mapped at 5 metre intervals and is there
any particular reason for this.

I think it is just where the sheet is generally not very hilly. In
relatively flat areas 10m contours would mean almost no contours!

When I first noticed two adjacent bits of mapping with different contour
intervals I initially thought there was a very steep sided valley
nearby. Turned out the 5m contours made it look that way until I looked
closer!

Here is that example just to the east of Black Hill in the northern Peak
District:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...4875&A=Y&Z=115

--

Dominic Sexton
Old May 6th 09, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Roger

The message
from Dominic Sexton contains these words:

Just been setting up a walk near New Radnor for tomorrow and noticed
that in
the area contour lines seem to be in 5 metre intervals rather than 10 metre
intervals. I've never seen this before on an OS map. Does anyone know of
other areas where the contours are mapped at 5 metre intervals and is there
any particular reason for this.

I think it is just where the sheet is generally not very hilly. In
relatively flat areas 10m contours would mean almost no contours!

When I first noticed two adjacent bits of mapping with different contour
intervals I initially thought there was a very steep sided valley
nearby. Turned out the 5m contours made it look that way until I looked
closer!

It's the OS caught on the horns of a metric dilemma.

AFAIK all the First Series 1:25,000 contours were at 25 foot intervals
which don't translate easily into multiples of 5 metres so the OS saw an
opportunity to cut costs by dispensing with 5 metre contours on steep
ground. A pity it didn't result in more contours and less crag symbols
on the steep ground but the OS really do like filling the maps with
symbols rather than actual detail.

--
Roger Chapman
Nearest Marilyn still to be visited - Great Orme.