OS map 5m contours

Old May 12th 09, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Default OS map 5m contours

Phil Cook wrote:

However, is it me or are the 5m contours on that example just
interpolated from the 10m ones which show rather more detail?

It certainly looks like!

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wilderness-images.co.uk

Old May 12th 09, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Chris Gilbert wrote:

What about density of rights of way, and thus liklihood
of access ? It's not unreasonable to make maps that are
more likely to be used in detail more detailed ?

Quite possibly. My Gower map has 5m contours, and that's a very popular
area. Not only is it an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, there's also a
lot of National Trust land and Sites of Special Scientific Interest there.
Perhaps that's why it's been mapped in more detail?

Paul

Old May 15th 09, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Terry Pinnell

Dominic Sexton wrote:

I think it is just where the sheet is generally not very hilly. In
relatively flat areas 10m contours would mean almost no contours!

Which got me wondering what the largest area is on a UK OS (25/50) map
with no contours printed.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 15th 09, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Peter Clinch

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Which got me wondering what the largest area is on a UK OS (25/50) map
with no contours printed.

I'll cheat and just go for the one with most open sea!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 15th 09, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Which got me wondering what the largest area is on a UK OS (25/50) map
with no contours printed.

SH 58 39 is one of the emptiest squares on the 50k map, but not on the 25k.

The whole area of Traeth Mawr (Large Beach) is largely devoid of contours,
having been reclaimed from the sea.

Paul

Old May 15th 09, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Phil Cook[_2_]

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Dominic Sexton wrote:

I think it is just where the sheet is generally not very hilly. In
relatively flat areas 10m contours would mean almost no contours!

Which got me wondering what the largest area is on a UK OS (25/50) map
with no contours printed.

This was done in The Angry Corrie, abeit they were looking for a blank
terrestrial grid square. It then made it onto the BBC website and
other places. I think the blankest square found on OS 1:50k had a
drainage ditch and a contour.
--
Phil Cook, last hill: Sgurr na Banachdich
http://www.therewaslight.co.uk
Old May 15th 09, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Surfer!

In message , Phil Cook
writes
Terry Pinnell wrote:

Dominic Sexton wrote:

I think it is just where the sheet is generally not very hilly. In
relatively flat areas 10m contours would mean almost no contours!

Which got me wondering what the largest area is on a UK OS (25/50) map
with no contours printed.

This was done in The Angry Corrie, abeit they were looking for a blank
terrestrial grid square. It then made it onto the BBC website and
other places. I think the blankest square found on OS 1:50k had a
drainage ditch and a contour.

Fenland? The Howe of Fife has a fairly blank squares as well.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...sv=325479,7115
45&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=760&a x=325479&ay=711545&lm=0

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net
Old May 15th 09, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
OG

"Yoss1960" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 15 May 2009 10:39:19 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:

I think the blankest square found on OS 1:50k had a drainage ditch
and a contour

There's a square with only an HT line across one corner.

See number 2, here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hometrut...psquares.shtml

There's an interesting spot below Beast Cliff in North Yorkshire, in which
about 10m^2 of land above the high water line represents the entire land
surface of the 'OV' 100km National Grid square.

This means that the OV square is 99.9999999% water.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/In-Search-of-OV0000

Old May 20th 09, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

In article ,
Jhimmy wrote:

You've come up with a good point about the Fens and Cuillin using the same
standard contours.

Yeah. Even south of Cambridge (the hilly side), 1 metre contours
would not make 1:25,000 maps too cluttered. Of course, that would
lead to issues over whether something was a hill or just a heap of
earth :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.