Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them?

Old December 14th 04, 10:33 PM
Peewiglet

Default Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them?

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Thank you.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 14th 04, 10:36 PM
Rooney

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:33:16 +0000, Peewiglet
wrote:

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Larrig Groo, if you want an Englsh person to have any idea where
you're talking about.
I find the names difficult to remember, for the same reason.

Old December 14th 04, 10:39 PM
Peewiglet

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:36:07 +0000, Rooney wrote:

[...]
(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Larrig Groo,

Thanks

if you want an Englsh

But look: it's swallowed half your vowels already....

person to have any idea where
you're talking about.
I find the names difficult to remember, for the same reason.

You can say that again....

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 14th 04, 10:49 PM
Syke

"Peewiglet" wrote in message
I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Thank you.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
/ \ / \

There's a series starting on 13th January (BBC 2) on that very subject. In
Gaelic with subtitles Not sure if will be visible all over UK

Regards

Pat Macguire

Old December 14th 04, 10:59 PM
Peewiglet

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:49:55 -0000, "Syke"
wrote:

[...]
There's a series starting on 13th January (BBC 2) on that very subject. In
Gaelic with subtitles Not sure if will be visible all over UK

Thank you! Synchronicity or what?!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 14th 04, 10:52 PM
spongebob

"Peewiglet" wrote

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin

develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place

names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been?

Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and

make
it up as they go along?

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

Graham

Old December 14th 04, 11:06 PM
Peewiglet

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:52:00 GMT, "spongebob" wrote:

[...]
Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 14th 04, 11:15 PM
AndyP

"spongebob" wrote

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

You get some good effects from doing loads of clicks in quick succession.
(Some of us are easily amused).

Old December 14th 04, 11:34 PM
Peewiglet

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:15:58 -0000, "AndyP"
wrote:

"spongebob" wrote

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

You get some good effects from doing loads of clicks in quick succession.
(Some of us are easily amused).

Oooh yes! I see what you mean!! :-)

Wow, my head's spinning now!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 14th 04, 11:44 PM
Roy

"spongebob" wrote in message

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

Brilliant.

If your out on the hill without your iPod, Ralph Storer's "100 best routes
on Scottish mountains" has pronunciations.

Roy.