How often should i do pushups and squats?

Old November 20th 08, 05:55 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,misc.fitness.misc,misc.fitness.aerobic
Chris Malcolm

Default How often should i do pushups and squats?

In misc.fitness.weights Jim Janney wrote:
writes:

Hello. How often should I do pushups and squats? I'm a thin guy; I
don't intend to lose weight. I don't want to use equipment, I need
calisthenic exercises I can do anywhere. I want to do them to ward
against stiffness, and also to keep a toned body without getting
bulked up. Should I do them: twice a day, once a day, every other
day?

I also intend to the do bicycle crunches. How often should I do
these?

You can do bodyweight exercises every day if you like. The reason is
that after you get strong enough to do ten to twenty repetitions
you're primarily training endurance rather than strength. Strength
training generally requires more recovery time than endurance
training.

Unless like me you're no longer young and start doing that from a
position of long term unfitness and only at first able to a very few
of the exercise. I did that, and developed muscular strength so much
faster than tendon and joint strength that by the time I'd got up to
ten I'd seriously knackered joints and tendons. It took me over a year
to recover. As a result of that experience I'd advise not doing any
the next day if it hurts a bit, and waiting until the soreness has
gone before resuming the exercise.

I now do them nearly every day without problems, but it took a long
time to get up to that level of robustness in all the musculature
tendons and joints involved.

--
Chris Malcolm

Old November 20th 08, 07:42 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,misc.fitness.misc,misc.fitness.aerobic
Steve Freides

writes:

[...]

There are other approaches which I advocate - use a moderately heavy
weight and don't do high reps. The addition of muscle tension,
especially in people who don't have a high skill level in a particular
movement, can actually make it safer - the muscle tension will tight up
the joints. I know this might sound counterintuitive but don't assume
that your year got you stronger connective tissue - it may simply be
that your skill at performing the exercise improved so that the load
actually goes where it's supposed to.

For example, a 5-rep set with a 10-rep max will, IMHO, work a lot better
for more people new to lifting than will a high rep daily calesthenics
routine. The right amount of resistance can effectively enforce good
form.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old April 18th 11, 02:15 PM
build build is offline
Banned

If you don`t want to be bothered with that, maybe you could drink protein shakes. Do some more research online. It`s possible that you might just get taller and bigger overall
Old July 22nd 11, 07:10 PM
joshua wilson joshua wilson is offline
Junior Member

Location: New York City

you can do it daily.. no problem with doing body exercise..lifting your weight is best then any other kind of exercise... people can do several repetitions with heavy weight but they cant beat the repetitions when they do push up
Old July 22nd 12, 10:29 PM
Lendar Lendar is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua wilson View Post
you can do it daily.. no problem with doing body exercise..lifting your weight is best then any other kind of exercise... people can do several repetitions with heavy weight but they cant beat the repetitions when they do push up
I totaly agree with you. If you do push ups you wont lose a gram of your body weight. Your weight is ideal for your muscles. Do every day 2-3 series of push ups( as mush as you can ), and you will your strenht increase.
__________________
Exercise ball chair
Old October 3rd 12, 05:56 PM
Triaironman Triaironman is offline
Junior Member

It sort of depends what you are trying to do. Body weight exercises are good, just make sure you using good form. To make them harder try single leg squats.
Old December 27th 13, 01:44 AM
coucouza coucouza is offline
Banned

Thumbs up

3 days eah week

Handstand pushups Schnauzer Weights 2 July 22nd 06 08:40 AM
Clapping pushups, ow. Theresa Weights 24 December 11th 04 03:06 AM
Situps and pushups meirman General 8 December 9th 04 03:14 PM
Box Squats vs Suited Competition Squats Publius Enigma Weights 0 November 16th 04 11:26 PM
Newbie question: moving from dumbell squats to barbell squats Renee Weights 14 June 15th 04 06:53 PM