TR:Bolivian Mountains

Old July 6th 04, 08:04 PM
sandy saunders

Default TR:Bolivian Mountains

At last ....... after 4 days without connection after being 'cut-off' by a
violent thunder/lightening storm Thursday night in the south ..... I have
been able to update my website (address below) with my recent report/photos
on my Bolivian trip.

An excellent country to visit, great people .... and fantastic mountains.
The trip first involved a couple of days at La Paz altitude (about 12,000ft)
to aid acclimatisation before venturing higher into the mountains. This
included a visit to Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world.
(Lovely fresh trout too for lunch)

We then 'drove' to the highest developed ski resort in the world - and some
hairy drive to, then walked the final 300ft or so to reach the summit at
just over 17,000ft. No skiers as it was out of season, so very quiet. Good
views though.

There then followed an ascent of Pequena Alpamayo, a snowy pyramidal summit
at just under 18,000ft, followed Point Austria, snow-free at about the same
height. Pequena Alpamayo was a tough outing, with Point Austria more like a
Lakeland day out ...... except for the lack of oxygen at 17500ft.

After resting/recovering in La Paz, we ventured out to the base camp for our
attempt on Huayna Potosi, at a couple of feet under 20,000ft. Very tiring
all night trek over steep snow and ice, but rewarded with stunning views at
sunrise from the summit. A long slog, but worth the pain and stress. It
was back to La Paz for more rest before the 'big one' Illamani, at just over
21,000ft. Sadly, I had a bad dose of food poisoning and was unable to leave
La Paz. I decided to return home early as it was the last mountain to
climb, and I wasn't feeling at all good.

So, what an adventure. Rated as a trekking holiday, but very close to
technical in places, though strenuous it was very rewarding.

Photos and a more detailed report at my website below.

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

"Mountains or Mole Hills ..... reaching the
summit still brings the same excitement"

Old July 7th 04, 08:46 AM
RJ Webb

Nice one.. I got as far as the glacier on the approach to Pequeno
Alpamayo before the altitude got me.

Sorata was a great place to sit quietly with my antibiotics.. Warmer
than Huana Potosi.

Richard Webb
Old July 7th 04, 05:35 PM
sandy saunders

Nice one.. I got as far as the glacier on the approach to Pequeno
Alpamayo before the altitude got me.

I wasn't too bad with the altitude (sickness that is) but very tiring for
the body. Many times I was going to quit, but was encouraged to continue.

Sorata was a great place to sit quietly with my antibiotics.. Warmer
than Huana Potosi.

Didn't feel that bad on the summit at sunrise. Pretty chilly on the walk
through the night, although that generally was only when stopped for a rest.
Once the sun started to rise in the sky for the return walk to base camp, it
was really quite pleasant.