Bench Press question

Old February 7th 05, 10:49 AM
npne

Default Bench Press question

I was in the gym doing bench presses like I usually do, all the way down to
the chest, and then up, when over comes this trainer and says I should stop
when my elbows are the level of the bench and go no lower, to avoid injuring
my shoulders. I find I can lift more this way, and also don't feel it in my
pecs that much. Is there anything to what the trainer says, or should I just
ignore?

Old February 7th 05, 11:32 AM
spodosaurus

npne wrote:
I was in the gym doing bench presses like I usually do, all the way down to
the chest, and then up, when over comes this trainer and says I should stop
when my elbows are the level of the bench and go no lower, to avoid injuring
my shoulders. I find I can lift more this way, and also don't feel it in my
pecs that much. Is there anything to what the trainer says, or should I just
ignore?

If you're doing the bench presses in good form, then ignore the trainer.
They instruct people how to get a little bit fitter or feel as if
they're trying to get some exercise without actually putting in a
meaningful workout. Hard workouts drive away customers. It's usually a
good idea to ignore trainers as a general rule if you know anything at
all about weight training, because it's more than they know.

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old February 7th 05, 03:32 PM
Hobbes

In article , spodosaurus
wrote:

npne wrote:
I was in the gym doing bench presses like I usually do, all the way down to
the chest, and then up, when over comes this trainer and says I should stop
when my elbows are the level of the bench and go no lower, to avoid injuring
my shoulders. I find I can lift more this way, and also don't feel it in my
pecs that much. Is there anything to what the trainer says, or should I just
ignore?

If you're doing the bench presses in good form, then ignore the trainer.
They instruct people how to get a little bit fitter or feel as if
they're trying to get some exercise without actually putting in a
meaningful workout. Hard workouts drive away customers. It's usually a
good idea to ignore trainers as a general rule if you know anything at
all about weight training, because it's more than they know.

I mostly agree with Ari, but in this case there is something to what the
trainer says.

During the lower part of the movement a lot of stress is placed on the
rotator cuff muscles. If you are really concerned about this I'd suggest
incline benches instead of flat benches.

OTOH - if you are comfortable I doubt you'll have a problem.
Old February 8th 05, 10:36 AM
npne

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
npne wrote:
[...]

Thanks.

I think I remember you from bigpond.tech.*

Old February 8th 05, 11:39 AM
spodosaurus

npne wrote:

[...]

Probably :-)

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old February 8th 05, 01:28 PM
npne

I think I remember you from bigpond.tech.*

Probably :-)

Was called Selar Rao in a previous avatar, am mentioned on OzCableGuys site.

Old February 8th 05, 02:21 PM
spodosaurus

npne wrote:
I think I remember you from bigpond.tech.*

Probably :-)

Was called Selar Rao in a previous avatar, am mentioned on OzCableGuys site.

I recognise that nickname! :-) I left bigpond when Telstra wanted to
charge me $250 for a cable modem. It cost less to buy an ADSL modem and
pay the connection fee, so off I went. The news server here at Westnet
has porblems form time to time, but it's their newsfeed usually, not
their server itself. I left bigpong when they were making excuses for
their email and news problems for weeks and months.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old February 8th 05, 08:35 PM
npne

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
I recognise that nickname! :-) I left bigpond when Telstra wanted to

charge me $250 for a cable modem. It cost less to buy an ADSL modem and
pay the connection fee, so off I went. The news server here at Westnet
has porblems form time to time, but it's their newsfeed usually, not
their server itself. I left bigpong when they were making excuses for
their email and news problems for weeks and months.

I'll prolly do the same if my modem dies.

Bench Press question im2manly Weights 7 February 8th 05 10:35 AM
which lifting workout is best? John Smith Weights 4 August 21st 03 03:13 PM
YANBPQ (Yet Another n00b Bench Press Question) Gary Weights 2 July 28th 03 09:51 PM
Bench Press 'v.K6AE\`: Fred Jones General 2 July 24th 03 09:18 PM
Bench Press cH;"yOkyH; Fred Jones Walking 0 July 21st 03 02:19 PM