Question About Bench Press

Old October 30th 08, 04:32 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
spodosaurus

Default Question About Bench Press

BR wrote:
wrote:
Hi, im new in there.
Im sorry for my lenguage, i hope you can understand me.

My question is about bench press (flat). I was read several times than
if you down the barbell to diferents parts of the chest you can work
diferent heads of the pectoralis major.

For example in the book of Frederic Delavier, he says than if you down
the barbell to the clavicule you work predominately the clavicular
head of the pectoralis major, if you down the barbell to the center of
the chest you work predominately the sternocostal head and if you down
the barbell to the lowest part of the chest you work the inferior
fiber.

Is this true?

Can any body refer a EMG articule about that?

THANK YOU!

I would think that you would change the exercise more by changing the
angle of the bench. If the bench is flat, you work the lower muscles,
if on an incline, you work the upper pecs.

An EMG study I came across a number of years ago showed the same amount
of clavicular head activation in a standard flat bench press as in an
incline press. The incline press, however, activated the sternal head
less than the flat bench press, as one would expect. Bringing the
barbell down to your neck is asking for an injury to your shoulders.

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old October 31st 08, 03:26 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Burr[_2_]

You are going to hurt yourself!
Keep the weight centered over your elbows/shoulders are you are going to
pull something plus drop the weights.

--
Burr
Orchids & Roses

"Curt" wrote in message
On Oct 30, 2:55 pm, wrote:
Yes, thanks, but i need to know if there is any king of diference in
the activation if you down the barbell in diferent parts of the chest

No.

(There's a 50/50 chance that I'm correct, right?)

I recommend you try the different "landing zones" over the next few
months and report back.

More likely the grip will make a difference - wide, medium, narrow.
Dunno.

Try each area as you've described for a period of 8 weeks or so and
see for yourself.

Best of luck!

Seated Chest Press vs Smith Machine Bench Press Bob Feduniak Weights 141 December 21st 13 11:58 AM
bench press and overhead press question Pez D Spencer Weights 15 August 8th 06 02:21 PM
Bench Press question npne Weights 7 February 8th 05 07:35 PM
Bench Press question im2manly Weights 7 February 8th 05 09:35 AM
YANBPQ (Yet Another n00b Bench Press Question) Gary Weights 2 July 28th 03 08:51 PM