Can I become a good cyclist and a good Sprinter at the same time?

Old September 12th 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.running
Elflord

Default Can I become a good cyclist and a good Sprinter at the same time?

Besides the fact that your cycling time expends resources (time, energy) that
could be devoted to sprinting, I don't think it will hurt that much.

If you get to the point where you're *really* serious about sprinting, you
will end up with a regimen that doesn't leave you with much room for doing
much in the way of other stuff.

But given where your times are (quite respectable, but you're not going to the
olympics any time soon on account of them) I'd say keep your day job, and enjoy
yourself a little.

btw, the "shortening hamstrings" thing is a myth. Don't worry about it, non-issue.

Cheers.

On 2009-09-09, chutsu wrote:
So, basically I'm caught in the middle of things, I love to cycle, I
tend to keep my cycling within one hour, and make the session as hard
as possible. (Sprinting up hills, doing 80% effort time trialing)

And while I love to cycle I also love to sprint, particularly the
400m.

At the moment I would say I'm a much better cyclist than a runner,
particularly because I can only run:
55s 400m
22~23s 200m
Note: I'm 21, I have slow times but I've only been serious training
for the track since this July.

My question is, will my training for both types of sport hurt each
other? Like I know that cycling shortens the hamstrings, and therefore
it might shorten my running stride, but if I work at it, surely I can
keep it loose? I'm fairly flexible, I can reach my toes standing up.

Another thing is that Track Sprinters tend to keep away from aerobics
longer than 20mins, because they believe that it would hurt their
strength power, is that true?

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

--
Elflord
"RRings best troll" -- Mr Billie on rec.running