aerobic exercise and blood pressure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 17th 08, 08:16 PM posted to misc.fitness.aerobic
DrollTroll

Default aerobic exercise and blood pressure

"joeu2004" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 12:48 pm, val189 wrote:
I heard that performing aerobic ex. after resistance work
will lower the blood pressure raised by the resistance
stint.

What makes you think resistance exercise increases BP?

To my knowledge, all exercise has the potential to lower BP, at least
short-term. Aerobic exercise tends to have a more lasting effect on
lowering BP because, by definition, it keeps your HR and breathing
rate high for the duration of the session. But resistance exercise
can achieve similar results if you do not rest between sets, but
instead move from one exercise to another, or if you do aerobics
before resistance exercises, keeping the "motor running" so to speak.

How long should the aerobic activity be performed?

I believe that 20 min is a minimum; 30 or more is better. Although
some new studies claim that you get the same cumulative benefits from
several shorter periods in a day (e.g. 3 10-min sessions), those
studies are based on obese subjects. However, if you do 10 min of
aerobics followed by resistance and core exercises followed by 10 min
of aerobics in the same gym session, I would count that as 20 min of
aerobics.

Also, keep in mind that BP is a very fickle metric. There are many
factors that affect BP. Lower BP is a benefit of consistent moderate-
to-intense exercise; but I don't think it should be your goal because
exercise alone might not lower BP if the source of high BP is blood
chemistry or psychological.

During the exercise:
Weight lifting *radically* increases bp, if th elift is at all valsalvic, ie
large maximum lifts.
Circuit training certainly less so.

And even aerobic workouts raise bp during the exercise.

Weight lifting, long term, probably does not lower bp the way aerobic stuff
does, for a variety of reasons, one of which is just duration.

Brisk walking, 1/2 hr, for example, can work wonders in chronic hbp.

This "cumulative effect" business is dicey.
Short cumulative stuff absolutely *does not* lead to the "aerobic training
effect", which is the synthesis of additional oxidative enzyme pathways.

Is it equivalent ito of overall longterm health??
Very well might be, altho I doubt if there are as of yet any conclusive
studies.
--
DT

Blood pressure Len A. Running 16 May 28th 07 10:46 PM
low blood pressure Hans Bootsma Running 4 March 21st 05 07:18 AM
isometric hand exercise and systolic blood pressure [email protected] Weights 2 July 31st 04 01:47 AM
blood pressure Larry McCarty Running 4 February 29th 04 03:01 PM
Blood pressure Cameron Laird Weights 10 February 15th 04 08:20 PM