trying to loose weight and getting nowhere

Old July 11th 04, 10:01 AM
Tom (2)

Default trying to loose weight and getting nowhere

Trying to loose weight and getting nowhere.
I'm a 52 year old male who is 5'9" and weighs 210 lbs. I've been on a
1500-1600 cal/day diet, 125g of protein, 15-20% fat.
I've been treadmilling 6 days/week, 45 minutes, maintaining a heart
rate of 120. Resistance weight lifting 3 times a week. (this means
on days where I do both aerobics and lifting weights, a split the two
activities by 6-7 hours).
Last summer I lost 35 lbs by eating and exercising less (30 min
treadmill followed by 30 minutes weight lifting x 6 days/week) and
eating 1200-1300 cal/day.
I am tempted to go back to last years plan but my common sense says
it's not healthy and I made little muscle progress with my diet so
low.
BTW, I didn't regain my weight, I just want to loose more. My goal is
to loose 30-40 lbs.
Ideas? Thanks
Old July 11th 04, 02:41 PM
Kromagnon

Tom (2) wrote:
Trying to loose weight and getting nowhere.
I'm a 52 year old male who is 5'9" and weighs 210 lbs. I've

been
on a 1500-1600 cal/day diet, 125g of protein, 15-20% fat.

You're at 20% fat, 48% carbs and 32% protein. Change it to 35%
fat, 30% carbs and 35% protein. You're eating too many carbs
and not enough fat. The fat should not be saturated fat; keep
sat fat at 20g or less. Get your fat from things like olive
oil or nuts, etc. Most of your carbs should come from fruits
and vegs. Eat 4-6 meals a day, not just 3. In your case each
meal should be around 350 calories. Also watch out for portion
creep; make sure your portions are correct. DON'T skip
breakfast. DON'T eat within 2 hours of going to bed.

Add 200-300 calories to your diet on the days you workout.

I've been treadmilling 6 days/week, 45 minutes, maintaining

a heart
rate of 120.

Get your heartrate up to around 135. You will burn more
calories and therefore more calories from fat.

Resistance weight lifting 3 times a week. (this means
on days where I do both aerobics and lifting weights, a

split the
two activities by 6-7 hours).
Last summer I lost 35 lbs by eating and exercising less (30

min
treadmill followed by 30 minutes weight lifting x 6

days/week) and
eating 1200-1300 cal/day.
I am tempted to go back to last years plan but my common

sense says
it's not healthy and I made little muscle progress with my

diet so
low.
BTW, I didn't regain my weight, I just want to loose more.

My goal
is to loose 30-40 lbs.

Back off on the exercise a bit. Plan to lose the weight in 4-5
months.

Old July 11th 04, 04:44 PM
Art S

"Kromagnon" wrote in message ...
Tom (2) wrote:
Trying to loose weight and getting nowhere.
I'm a 52 year old male who is 5'9" and weighs 210 lbs. I've

been
on a 1500-1600 cal/day diet, 125g of protein, 15-20% fat.

You're at 20% fat, 48% carbs and 32% protein. Change it to 35%
fat, 30% carbs and 35% protein. You're eating too many carbs
and not enough fat.

Why is this important? (Although eating more protein is probably
important if retaining muscle is important.)

The fat should not be saturated fat; keep
sat fat at 20g or less. Get your fat from things like olive
oil or nuts, etc. Most of your carbs should come from fruits
and vegs. Eat 4-6 meals a day, not just 3.

Why is this important?

In your case each
meal should be around 350 calories. Also watch out for portion
creep; make sure your portions are correct. DON'T skip
breakfast.

Why not?

DON'T eat within 2 hours of going to bed.

Why not?

Add 200-300 calories to your diet on the days you workout.

Why? His weight is stable and he wants to lose weight.

I've been treadmilling 6 days/week, 45 minutes, maintaining

a heart
rate of 120.

Get your heartrate up to around 135.

Revision: exercise at the highest rate you can sustain for the time
required. Or look up intervals.

You will burn more
calories and therefore more calories from fat.

Burn more calories? yes. From fat? Are you sure? And, more to
the point, why is it important that the calories burned come from
fat?

Resistance weight lifting 3 times a week. (this means
on days where I do both aerobics and lifting weights, a

split the
two activities by 6-7 hours).
Last summer I lost 35 lbs by eating and exercising less (30

min
treadmill followed by 30 minutes weight lifting x 6

days/week) and
eating 1200-1300 cal/day.
I am tempted to go back to last years plan but my common

sense says
it's not healthy and I made little muscle progress with my

diet so
low.
BTW, I didn't regain my weight, I just want to loose more.

My goal
is to loose 30-40 lbs.

Back off on the exercise a bit.

Why? He has three options: eat less, exercise more, or both.

Plan to lose the weight in 4-5
months.

Art

Old July 11th 04, 04:45 PM
Arbor

"Tom (2)" wrote in message . ..
Ideas? Thanks

Here is one from the silky p(H)0ny:
(Credit goes to The DrudgeReport btw)

TIME MAG INVESTIGATION REVEALS: EDWARDS LOVES 'DIET COKE'

The nation's top magazine leads the journalism pack on Monday with an
in-depth investigation on the background of Dem VP pick John Edwards.

TIME magazine's Karen Tumulty has learned: John Edwards drinks Diet
Coke -- a lot of Diet Coke!

TIME unearths: "The North Carolinian who would be a
caffeine-and-sodium-buzzed heartbeat away from the presidency
subsequently admitted that 'on a good day' he has been known to open
four before noon, at which point Kerry pronounced himself stunned,
seized the can from Edwards and started reading the nutrition label
aloud. 'Sodium, 2%. Protein, John, zero,' he called as Edwards
scrambled for the door. As for himself, Kerry owned up: 'When I drink
Coke, I have to drink the real thing, because of the sugar in it.'"

Not to be outdone by at least nine joint interviews Kerry and Edwards
have conducted in the past few days with newspapers, news services and
magazines, all embargoed for a Sunday release that would coincide with
the pair's appearance on 60 MINUTES, editors at TIME snag the quote of
the week:

"This man drinks a lot of Diet Coke," Kerry whispers to TIME, in its
cover story set for maximum Monday impact.

Developing...
Old July 11th 04, 06:32 PM
The Voice of Reason

"Tom (2)" wrote in message . ..
Trying to loose weight and getting nowhere.
I'm a 52 year old male who is 5'9" and weighs 210 lbs. I've been on a
1500-1600 cal/day diet, 125g of protein, 15-20% fat.
I've been treadmilling 6 days/week, 45 minutes, maintaining a heart
rate of 120. Resistance weight lifting 3 times a week. (this means
on days where I do both aerobics and lifting weights, a split the two
activities by 6-7 hours).
Last summer I lost 35 lbs by eating and exercising less (30 min
treadmill followed by 30 minutes weight lifting x 6 days/week) and
eating 1200-1300 cal/day.
I am tempted to go back to last years plan but my common sense says
it's not healthy and I made little muscle progress with my diet so
low.

I'm no expert, but perhaps try eating around 2000 calories a day.
Old July 11th 04, 10:29 PM
ray miller

On 11 Jul 2004 10:32:42 -0700, (The Voice of
Reason) wrote:

"Tom (2)" wrote in message . ..
Trying to loose weight and getting nowhere.
I'm a 52 year old male who is 5'9" and weighs 210 lbs. I've been on a
1500-1600 cal/day diet, 125g of protein, 15-20% fat.

I'm no expert, but perhaps try eating around 2000 calories a day.

Do you know how many calories you were eating before this latest
attempt at losing weight. When your weight was static for a while? You
should try for 500 calories per day below that.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
This website suggests that 2000 would be a good place to start. It may
be that you are eating too few calories rather than too many. Is your
health good? How sure are you that you are recording calorie intake
accurately?

Eating a bit more protein might help. People here usually suggest
around 1gm/pound bodyweight.

Ray
--
rmnsuk
273/192/182
Old July 11th 04, 10:34 PM
Peter Allen

"Tom (2)" wrote in message
Trying to loose weight and getting nowhere.
I'm a 52 year old male who is 5'9" and weighs 210 lbs. I've been on a
1500-1600 cal/day diet, 125g of protein, 15-20% fat.
I've been treadmilling 6 days/week, 45 minutes, maintaining a heart
rate of 120.

Telling us your heart rate isn't very helpful (HR at a given work level
varies a lot from person to person), but this seems too low to correspond to
any sort of serious exercise. You'd do better to find a work level that you
can keep up for the full 45 minutes, but which is not easy (so you'd be
unable to keep it up for say an hour and a half). You might also want to
consider doing (some of) the work on a bike (real if possible, which is much
more fun), which is probably nicer on your knees and hips.

Resistance weight lifting 3 times a week. (this means
on days where I do both aerobics and lifting weights, a split the two
activities by 6-7 hours).
Last summer I lost 35 lbs by eating and exercising less (30 min
treadmill followed by 30 minutes weight lifting x 6 days/week) and
eating 1200-1300 cal/day.
I am tempted to go back to last years plan but my common sense says
it's not healthy and I made little muscle progress with my diet so
low.

I'd tend to agree; if you do more work in your cardio sessions, though, you
should find yourself losing weight without having to eat less.

BTW, I didn't regain my weight, I just want to loose more. My goal is
to loose 30-40 lbs.

I'd guess from your post that you're fairly muscular; however you probably
ought to think about either your target for weight loss or your current body
fat percentage; the figures you give suggest that you want to end up with no
body fat at all (since you're talking about making muscle progress I assume
you don't want to lose any muscle), which isn't possible while still alive.

Peter

Old July 12th 04, 03:21 AM
Tom (2)

Reason) wrote:

"Tom (2)" wrote in message . ..
Trying to loose weight and getting nowhere.
I'm a 52 year old male who is 5'9" and weighs 210 lbs. I've been on a
1500-1600 cal/day diet, 125g of protein, 15-20% fat.

I'm no expert, but perhaps try eating around 2000 calories a day.

Do you know how many calories you were eating before this latest
attempt at losing weight. When your weight was static for a while? You
should try for 500 calories per day below that.

My weight ws static at 2000 calories. But then my weight is still
static at 1500 calories.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
This website suggests that 2000 would be a good place to start. It may
be that you are eating too few calories rather than too many. Is your
health good? How sure are you that you are recording calorie intake
accurately?

Eating a bit more protein might help. People here usually suggest
around 1gm/pound bodyweight.

I will increase my protein, but I find different numbers on what
protein intake should be. There's 1 gm/pound, 1 gram/pound of lean
mass, etc.

Ray

Old July 12th 04, 03:35 AM
Tom (2)

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:34:54 +0100, "Peter Allen"
wrote:

"Tom (2)" wrote in message
.. .
Trying to loose weight and getting nowhere.
I'm a 52 year old male who is 5'9" and weighs 210 lbs. I've been on a
1500-1600 cal/day diet, 125g of protein, 15-20% fat.
I've been treadmilling 6 days/week, 45 minutes, maintaining a heart
rate of 120.

Telling us your heart rate isn't very helpful (HR at a given work level
varies a lot from person to person), but this seems too low to correspond to
any sort of serious exercise.

My minimum fat-burn heart rate is 108, if you can believe the info on
the treadmill. And I'm at 122ish. I am 30-40 lbs overweight and do
have coronary arteries influenced by a few thousand hamburgers, so
I'll move up gently.

[...]

Not really, but what I do have I want to keep. The gym personnel did
the caliper thing to determine my percentage of fat. I actually did
it twice with two different trainers to see how they differed. One
said my fat was at 33% and the other said 39%. Both numbers say too
fat. But the two numbers also suggest the staff may not be competent.

Old July 12th 04, 05:44 AM
Tom (2)

On 11 Jul 2004 08:45:36 -0700, (Arbor)
wrote:

"Tom (2)" wrote in message . ..
[...]

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I am curious to know what kind of
supplements you take.