Flat Feet -Shoe recomendation

Old January 13th 04, 01:58 PM
Matt Peeler

Default Flat Feet -Shoe recomendation

I trained for a half marathon last year for a half ironman and was
using Brooks Addiction V shoes. I am flat footed and overpronate which
usually tears down the outside right side of my shoes pretty fast. I
ended up with shin splints and calf/achilles problems after awhile. I
know this could be because I didn't change shoes fast enough but I was
curious if there were other motion control shoes that I may try for
this year. I am 5 10 and weight about 180. I was looking at NB or
maybe ASICS ?

Thanks

Matt P
Old January 13th 04, 09:45 PM
Matty G

I have flat feet and like yourself usually wear down the outside of my shoes
quickly. I suffered from shin problems which eventually led to stress
fractures in both shins and have found the best solution was orthotics. The
orthotics hold up my arch and have stopped me over pronating as much. I went
to a pediotrist and got custom made ones. I can also recommend the Adidas
Supernova Cushion as the extra meat on the outside of the shoe means it
takes much longer for runners like us to wear down.

Jon Beckett wrote in message ...
On 13 Jan 2004 05:58:52 -0800, (Matt Peeler) wrote:

I trained for a half marathon last year for a half ironman and was
using Brooks Addiction V shoes. I am flat footed and overpronate which
usually tears down the outside right side of my shoes pretty fast. I
ended up with shin splints and calf/achilles problems after awhile. I
know this could be because I didn't change shoes fast enough but I was
curious if there were other motion control shoes that I may try for
this year. I am 5 10 and weight about 180. I was looking at NB or
maybe ASICS ?

Thanks

Matt P

Have you looked at getting some orthotics?

Jon Beckett

Old January 14th 04, 02:44 AM
Jim Johnson

"Matty G" wrote in message
I have flat feet and like yourself usually wear down the outside of my

shoes
quickly. I suffered from shin problems which eventually led to stress
fractures in both shins and have found the best solution was orthotics.

The
orthotics hold up my arch and have stopped me over pronating as much. I

went
to a pediotrist and got custom made ones. I can also recommend the Adidas
Supernova Cushion as the extra meat on the outside of the shoe means it
takes much longer for runners like us to wear down.

Sounds like both you guys are supinating instead of over-pronating if you're
wearing down the *outside* of your shoes. Some people think if you have flat
arches you'll always need motion control or stability shoes but that's not
always so.

Jim Johnson
www.johnsrunwalkshop.com

Old January 14th 04, 04:35 AM
Matty G

Until I went to the podiotrist I always assumed I was a supernator but the
video analysis proved otherwise. I land on the outside and roll in more than
normal, hence the pronation and therefore putting stress on the tendon
running from the bottom of the foot and placing pressure on the shin.

Old January 14th 04, 01:23 PM
Jim Johnson

"Matty G" wrote in message
Until I went to the podiotrist I always assumed I was a supernator but the
video analysis proved otherwise. I land on the outside and roll in more

than
normal, hence the pronation and therefore putting stress on the tendon
running from the bottom of the foot and placing pressure on the shin.

Is it your outside back heel that wears down quickly? A lot of people will
see that wear on their back heel and think they're supinating. That's why
it's important to check the forefoot wear of an old pair of shoes (or get
the video analysis like you did).

Jim Johnson