Numb feet from elliptical trainer

Old January 24th 04, 05:24 PM
MSEagan

Default Numb feet from elliptical trainer

Because of back problems I have had to replace half of my running with the
elliptical trainer. If I am on it for longer than 35 minutes, my feet start
to feel numb. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to avoid this? Is
there a recommended shoe specifically for this kind of motion?

Thanks.
Marianne

Old January 25th 04, 12:32 AM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article [email protected]_s54, MSEagan wrote:
Because of back problems I have had to replace half of my running with the
elliptical trainer. If I am on it for longer than 35 minutes, my feet start
to feel numb. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to avoid this? Is
there a recommended shoe specifically for this kind of motion?

I had similar problems, my feet got a little sore. To some extent, I adapted
over time. Either way, on exercises like this, one can always take a short
interim break.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old January 25th 04, 02:06 AM
frank-in-toronto

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:32:39 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
wrote:

In article [email protected]_s54, MSEagan wrote:
Because of back problems I have had to replace half of my running with the
elliptical trainer. If I am on it for longer than 35 minutes, my feet start
to feel numb. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to avoid this? Is
there a recommended shoe specifically for this kind of motion?

I had similar problems, my feet got a little sore. To some extent, I adapted
over time. Either way, on exercises like this, one can always take a short
interim break.

you might try a few different stances. I start with my feet at the
back of the pedals, and half way thru the workout, i move them
to the front. you might loosen your shoes. push thru your heels,
not your toes.
....thehick
Old January 25th 04, 02:55 AM

wrote:

[...]

just out of interest, are you using a heart rate monitor when on the
elliptical? - just curious to see how ellipticals give you an efficient
cardio workout.

Old January 25th 04, 03:07 AM
frank-in-toronto

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:55:16 GMT, "David"
wrote:

original question snipped
you might try a few different stances. I start with my feet at the
back of the pedals, and half way thru the workout, i move them
to the front. you might loosen your shoes. push thru your heels,
not your toes.
...thehick

just out of interest, are you using a heart rate monitor when on the
elliptical? - just curious to see how ellipticals give you an efficient
cardio workout.

i sometimes do. sometimes i don't. depending on whether
i'm doing an easy day or a hard day, i might need info.
if i'm doing intervals, i want my heart rate to peak and then
come down during my recovery time. so, i might wear
my HRM then. but really, after a while, you get to know
what heart rate you're at. you learn your body. so, yes,
i suggest wearing the HRM quite a few times. until you
learn what happens inside given certain stresses.
then you won't need it so much.
however, if you want to be one of those that select
the "cardio" or "fat burn" programs, you may have to wear
it so the machine can adjust to you. i don't do those and
really have little interest in them right now.
i only use the elliptical for cross-training. since i still
can run, i am. as for the question of "does it give a good
cardio workout"? well, everything is specific to what
you are doing. working out on the elliptical will let you
get pretty good...at working out on the elliptical. it won't
do much for running. or digging ditches. or shovelling snow.
you need to pick a goal. and work towards it.

....thehick

Old January 25th 04, 03:21 AM

"frank-in-toronto" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:55:16 GMT, "David"
wrote:

original question snipped
[...]

thanks - I had used an elliptical recently and found it difficult to get my
heart rate up when compared say to a treadmill and just wondering about
others experience - there is something about the way the legs work and that
there is no impact that doesn't seem to give much of a pump - and there is
too much strain on the hip flexors when working hard enough to get your
heart rate elevated to somewhere around my target range.

Old January 25th 04, 04:50 AM
Ken a whore

Don't take advice from this dummy unless it's about dainty treadmill jogging.

Old January 25th 04, 01:45 PM
frank-in-toronto

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:21:02 GMT, "David"
wrote:

old stuff snipped

thanks - I had used an elliptical recently and found it difficult to get my
heart rate up when compared say to a treadmill and just wondering about
others experience - there is something about the way the legs work and that
there is no impact that doesn't seem to give much of a pump - and there is
too much strain on the hip flexors when working hard enough to get your
heart rate elevated to somewhere around my target range.

I don't see hardly any hip flexor action. you don't pull your
legs forward. the leading leg pushes down. the lower
you squat, the more the hams and glutes get into it.
i use the life fitness elliptical where the arms are
involved also. recently, a basically newbie worked
out with me and the only muscles that hurt the next
day were in her back.
impact doesn't raise your heart rate. perhaps you're
not trying hard enough on the elliptical, or perhaps, again,
you're trying to get your heart rate too high. IIRC you said
you couldn't run so much because of bad knees... well
then, you better figure out the elliptical. or the rower.
bikes would be my last choice for a cardio workout
unless i was interested in becoming a better biker
on the street.
....thehick

Old January 25th 04, 04:47 PM
MSEagan

No, I do not use a heart rate monitor but I push as hard as I really feel I
can when I am on it. I watch the METS which change depending on how hard I
push and I know my range...anything above 7.0 is good. I sweat like crazy
and my body fat is already so low that losing weight is not a goal. I swim
many miles each week (i.e. not monitor) so I have learned to judge what
"hard" is for me.
When I first used the trainer and put my hands on the moving bars, my arms
would actually ache if I tried running a few days later...as though they
were out of shape. I never realized how important the arm swinging motion of
free running was. So now, I do not hold onto the bars; I swing my arms free
as I use the trainer (it took some practice to balance well enough to do
this while moving hard ---now second nature to me).

Old January 25th 04, 05:57 PM
WhoLovesYa?

(Ken a whore) wrote in message . com...
WHO WAS IT, THREATENED THE PRESIDENT?

WHO ADVOCATED AID TO TERRORISTS?

YEP, our own BILL DAVIDSON, just one day after
the 9-11 attack, while the victims were still burning.
"we should bomb that pathetic excuse for a man too, or at
least give his location to every terrorist group we can find, and
let them take him out. Just what we need in the white house,
a coked-up dopehead running the country".

From: MrRobotTow )
Subject: The Only Thing
Newsgroups: rec.music.makers.bagpipe
Date: 2001-09-12 03:00:32 PST

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pa...aol.com&rnum=3

YO! Homeland Security dudes: KEY PHRASES!
BOMB "WHITE HOUSE" "TERRORIST GROUP"

THERE'S YER ANTISOCIAL NUT CASE, RIGHT THERE!
COULD BE another John Hinckley. Check him out!

This US citizen publicly called for AID to TERRORISTS:
IS HIS NAME ON YOUR LIST? Check him out!

To long-suffering RMMB contributors: DO COPY AND PASTE
this message. THEN use it to REPLY anytime you have an urge
to respond to the NOT-REALLY-ANNONYMOUS troll on
RMMB and rec.running. (Why, YES, Bill Davidson, the source
of thousands of lowlife postings under dozens of account names,
is also "TheBillRodgers" and his clones.

Will Bill's own words amuse him as much as they amuse us?
WILL THEY AMUSE OTHERS? Let's find out.
Let's be sure BILL gets the attention he deserves and craves.

COPY, PASTE, REPLY to our TROLL. IT'S THAT EASY