How long before aerobics "kicks in"??

Old July 3rd 03, 12:06 PM
Van Bagnol

Default How long before aerobics "kicks in"??

In article ,
"MartinB" wrote:

Well - there's a sign on the gym wall that says "you need carbs to
burn fat".

But is this correct?????

It not _quite_ that simple. You can burn fat without carbs -- after all,
hibernating animals burn only fat all winter -- however, the total
calorie burn is pretty low. Theoretically, the highest fat calorie
expenditure on a _percentage basis_ is when you are sleeping! While it
works for grizzlies, hibernating for 3-4 months with zero meals is not a
popular weight loss method among humans. ;-)

To burn more calories, you have to be more active than that. So, you
increase your activity by exercise -- the more intense and/or longer the
duration, the more calories burned.

But when you exercise more intensely, not all of the energy production
will be able to come from fatty acids that your fat stores provide. A
certain percentage of muscle tissue will face shortfalls of the oxygen
it needs, so glucose from the body's glycogen stores is necessary to
"keep the flame going", so to speak, and provide energy to muscle tissue
momentarily starved for oxygen. You can get by with existing body
glycogen for a little while, but you will eventually have to replenish
it -- with carbs.

Van

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com
....enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing / Skydiving / Mountain Biking
Old July 3rd 03, 02:48 PM
Peter Webb

SNIP

To burn more calories, you have to be more active than that. So, you
increase your activity by exercise -- the more intense and/or longer the
duration, the more calories burned.

But when you exercise more intensely, not all of the energy production
will be able to come from fatty acids that your fat stores provide. A
certain percentage of muscle tissue will face shortfalls of the oxygen
it needs, so glucose from the body's glycogen stores is necessary to
"keep the flame going", so to speak, and provide energy to muscle tissue
momentarily starved for oxygen. You can get by with existing body
glycogen for a little while, but you will eventually have to replenish
it -- with carbs.

Absolute crap. Why can't "all of your energy come from fatty acids that your
fat stores provide"? More to the point, people on zero carb diets obviously
can and do manage to exercise intensely.

BTW, glycogen can also be replenished by metabolising protein through
gluconeogenesis. People on zero carb diets do not have zero glucose or zero
glycogen levels.

The OP was contemplating a low carb diet, but worried that this would make
him stop his exercise regime. It most definitely would not. Low carb diets
are doubly effective if combined with plenty of aerobic exercise.

Old July 3rd 03, 08:18 PM
Mongie

Absolute crap. Why can't "all of your energy come from fatty acids that

your
fat stores provide"? More to the point, people on zero carb diets

obviously
can and do manage to exercise intensely.

I'd be interested if you could point me in the direction of just one person
on a "zero carb" diet who successfully manages to "exercise intensely".

Define "intensely".

I do approx 95 mins "intense" cardio per day (and by "intense" I mean at the
rate of 22 calories per minute) - my aim is to burn 2000 calories per day.

Completely unintentionally, and due to circumstances, on Monday of last week
my carb intake was 50g. However, I made a point of hammering the protein
that day to ensure my calorie intake was sufficient.

Tuesday's workout was a disaster..........I got to 670 calories and
*bang*........I hit the proverbial brick wall and I wasn't going anywhere
further.

Conclusion: my lack of carb intake on the previous day had an adverse effect
on my endeavours to work out.

I hate carbs as much as the next person but I begrudgingly concede (from
personal experience) that they're necessary, nay essential, to be able to
undertake intense cardio activity with any degree of success.

However, I'm here to learn and any pointers/guidance/advice will be taken
onboard and digested.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will tell me!

Old July 4th 03, 02:12 AM
Peter Webb

I exercise every day for 40 minutes at a rate of 1100 kCals/hr (ie I burn
760 kCals in 40 minutes). Almost the same rate as you, albeit for only half
as much time each day. For me, this is intense exercise (I cycle my pulse
between 160 and 175; at age 47 I am exceeding my theoretical MHR for about
15 of the 40 minutes). This is the same rate of energy expenditure than I
was able to achieve eating normal food.

I do not think that one day of low carbs is a reasonable test. Perhaps your
inability to continue was partially psychological? It takes several days for
most people to go into ketosis, having one low carb day isn't going to
exhaust your glycogen.

I have monitored my aerobic capacity at the same heart rate (which pretty
much corresponds to the same level of perceived effort, to eliminate
psychological bias) for some years on a normal diet, and now for 6 months on
an essentially zero carb diet. My energy output has remained pretty much
constant (1100 kCals/hr), but my ability to run, walk up hill, etc has
dramatically improved, as I am now 20 kgs lighter. The only thing that
didn't markedly improve is my short term 5 minute stress test results.

If you are exercising to lose weight - which is what the OP wanted to do -
there is no question in my mind that you will get much, much better results
on a low or zero carb diet with exercise than you would on a normal carb
diet with exercise. For me, it was three years on a constant 101 kgs, then a
loss of 20 kgs in 6 months on a zero carb diet with no loss of energy,
impact upon my aerobic capacity, or other side effects at all. Talking about
zero carb diets preventing aerobic exercise is counterproductive, as it may
stop people using what is an extremely effective weight loss mechanism.

Old July 4th 03, 04:05 AM
Bob Garrison

"Peter Webb" wrote in message
u...
I exercise every day for 40 minutes at a rate of 1100 kCals/hr

How do you know this?

Old July 4th 03, 02:24 PM
Bob Garrison

"Peter Webb" wrote in message
u...
Well, its what the treadmills say. I use two - one at the gym and one at
home - on alternate days. They are different brands (and quite different
treadmills) but report similar Calorie consumptions, so its quite a

credible
number.

No it's not credible.

Treadmills are "famous" for overestimating calories burned!

FYI, I get this by alternating between 12-13 kms/hr running

Unless you are *very* overweight running at 12-13 kms/hr burns approx. 800
kCals/hr NOT 1100.

and 8 kms/hr
walking, or alternating between walking up an incline of 15 at 7 kph and

an
incline of 8 also at 7 kph.

"Bob Garrison" wrote in message

u...

Old July 4th 03, 02:56 PM
Peter Webb

No it's not credible.

Treadmills are "famous" for overestimating calories burned!

FYI, I get this by alternating between 12-13 kms/hr running

Unless you are *very* overweight running at 12-13 kms/hr burns approx. 800
kCals/hr NOT 1100.

SNIP

Not according to http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html
On my bodyweight (80 kgs) running at 13 kph burns 1109 kCal per hour.

Whatever the actual calories burned may be, for me this is intense exercise.
I do not pretend to be an athlete. I return to my central point - I find
this no harder on zero carbs than I did on full carbs. The OPs question "how
long before aerobics kicks-in" was a question about how long it takes before
he starts to lose weight. My original reply was that he may never see any
weight loss until he starts eating less. I suggested he try a ketogenic
diet. He questioned whether he would still be able to exercise on a
ketogenic diet, because he had heard that you need carbs to be able to
exercise. Some posters said this was so. However, it is demonstrably untrue.
Nobody looking at me sweating like a pig with a pulse of 175 at age 47 for
40 minutes at a stretch could possibly argue that I was not intensely
exercising. And, (wistful sigh) I have not eaten a slice of bread, a bowl of
rice, or piece of fruit since December 31st 2002.

Old July 4th 03, 03:03 PM
wringerman

"Bob Garrison" wrote in message ...
"Peter Webb" wrote in message
u...
I exercise every day for 40 minutes at a rate of 1100 kCals/hr

How do you know this?

Anyone with half a brain would be able to figure this out, except you
Garrison because you are dumb as a stump. I have been reading your
totally idiotic one liners on a couple of newsgroups and you sound
like a kid that doesn't go out much and has just learned to curse and
swear when his Mommie and Daddie aren't within earshout. You better be
careful because if your folks see what you have been writing on the
computer they will probably give you "time out" and take away your
computer privileges. Then you will have to go back to masturbating
all day long.

Oh I almost forgot, here is a link to the calorie calculator and
figuring a 190 pound person at 13 KM per hour comes out to over 1100
calories per hour. Of course when you read this, you will start
cursing and swearing because you have zero facts to back up anything
you say, and with your very limited vocabulary, won't be able to do
anything else .

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html
Old July 4th 03, 07:23 PM
Bob Garrison

"Peter Webb" wrote in message
u...
No it's not credible.

Treadmills are "famous" for overestimating calories burned!

FYI, I get this by alternating between 12-13 kms/hr running

Unless you are *very* overweight running at 12-13 kms/hr burns approx.

800
kCals/hr NOT 1100.

SNIP

Not according to http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html
On my bodyweight (80 kgs) running at 13 kph burns 1109 kCal per hour.

This calculator is more realistic.
http://liftforlife.homestead.com/fit...lculators.html