"Fat and fit" athletes according to a fat acceptor

Old July 29th 04, 02:47 AM
Jim

Default "Fat and fit" athletes according to a fat acceptor

I got this pop up add from weigh****chers. They wanted me to put my height
and weight to figure out my BMI or whatever its called. I'm 6 ft tall and
185 pounds. I'm at the high end of being tooo fat. LOL...I gotta get some
pics online.

Jim

Old July 29th 04, 03:02 PM
Will Brink

In article ,
(NR) wrote:

"davenpork" put down her box of doughnuts to oink in
message om...

The following is a list of professional athletes who, are fat [i.e.
classified as overweight or obese]:

BMI Classifications
Underweight BMI less than 18.5
Overweight BMI of 25.0 to 29.9
Obese BMI of 30.0 or more

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...tebodyfat.html

"BMI will be inaccurate for many athletes. BMI doesn't calculate body fat
so it can't make allowances for muscular development. That's why...

Athletes such as bodybuilders, football players, throwing athletes and
anyone on a weight training program should avoid using BMI as a way to
calculate body fat. "

Dumbass

BMI does not apply well to athletic people, in particular strength
athletes, as a measure of BF% or health, that's for sure.

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

Old July 29th 04, 04:06 PM
Jeff Finlayson

NR wrote:
davenpork wrote:

The following is a list of professional athletes who, are fat [i.e.
classified as overweight or obese]:

BMI Classifications
Underweight BMI less than 18.5
Overweight BMI of 25.0 to 29.9
Obese BMI of 30.0 or more

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...tebodyfat.html

"BMI will be inaccurate for many athletes. BMI doesn't calculate body fat
so it can't make allowances for muscular development. That's why...

Athletes such as bodybuilders, football players, throwing athletes and
anyone on a weight training program should avoid using BMI as a way to
calculate body fat. "

Dumbass

Lakers 2003-04 roster
Only 3 of the LA Lakers qualify as "normal" weight!
Jannero Pargo* 6-2 175 22.5
Kareem Rush 6-6 215 24.8
Brian Shaw 6-6 205 23.7
Kobe Bryant 6 6 220 BMI 25.4 overweight
Derick Fisher 6 1 210 BMI 27 overweight
Rick Fox 6-7 235 BMI 26.5 overweight
Devean George 6-8 240 BMI 26.4 overweight
Robert Horry 6-10 240 BMI 25.1 overweight
Mark Madsen 6-9 245 BMI 26.3 overweight
Stanislav Medvedenko 6-10 250 BMI 26.1 overweight
Tracy Murray 6-7 230 BMI 25.9 overweight
Samaki Walker 6-9 255 BMI 27.3 overweight
Shaquille O'Neal 7-1 338 BMI 32.9 Obese

Other Basketball players qualified as overweight:
Jason Kidd BMI 25.8 overweight
Yao Ming Height: 7-5 296 BMI 26.3 Overweight

Some examples from the SF 49's Football team:
Jeff Chandler 6 2 218 BMI 28 Overweight
Jeff Garcia 6-1 195 BMI 25.7 Overweight
Eric Heitmann 6 3 305 BMI 38.1 Obese
Jeremy Newberry 6-5 310 BMI 36.8 obese

Baseball players
Barry Bonds 6-2 228 BMI 29.3 Overweight
Sammy Sosa 6-0 185 BMI 25.1 Overweight
Mark McGwire 6-5 225 26.7 Overweight

This doesn't even include sumo wrestlers, weightlifters, shot putters,
or hurlers who as a general rule of thumb are fat in conjunction with
the design needs of their sport.

All too easy.
Compelling proof that fit and fat is possible.

Well duh, they aren't fat.

That is hilarious, moron.
NR

Word!
Old July 29th 04, 08:27 PM
JPM III

Baseball players
Barry Bonds 6-2 228 BMI 29.3 Overweight
Sammy Sosa 6-0 185 BMI 25.1 Overweight
Mark McGwire 6-5 225 26.7 Overweight

HAH! Sosa at 185?! Maybe ten years ago...

Sosa can't be a pound lighter than 220--I'd say about Barry's size--and I
remember McGwire being talked about as weighing around 250.

Old July 29th 04, 09:24 PM
RS990

"JPM III" wrote in message

HAH! Sosa at 185?! Maybe ten years ago...

According to the Cubs website Sosa is 6'0 and 220lbs.

Greg Maddux is 6'0 and 185lbs, and I can't remember Sosa ever looking that
small.

Old July 29th 04, 10:25 PM
Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:27:23 -0400, "JPM III"
wrote:

Baseball players
Barry Bonds 6-2 228 BMI 29.3 Overweight
Sammy Sosa 6-0 185 BMI 25.1 Overweight
Mark McGwire 6-5 225 26.7 Overweight

HAH! Sosa at 185?! Maybe ten years ago...

Sosa can't be a pound lighter than 220--I'd say about Barry's size--and I
remember McGwire being talked about as weighing around 250.

The BMI is a crock of dung in many instances. It is based on a simple
calculation using height, weight, and round numbers, including a round
number exponent. It's contrived, and the taller you get, the more you
are penalized, or so it appears. Here are some examples for their
treasured 24.9 for a variety of heights...it's a straight line graph.
How often is a straight line graph correct for this type of
assessment?

4'....... 81' 11".....
4' 6".. 103' 6".....
5'....... 127' 11"...
5' 6".. 154' 8".....
6'....... 183' 14"...
6' 6".. 215' 14"...
7'....... 250' 5".....
7' 6".. 287' 5".....
8'....... 327'.........

My 73 pound 4' 8' son could pack on about 33 pounds and still be okay.
Our Cape Breton giant, Angus MacAskill, at 7' 9" and 425 pounds the
tallest true giant in history,

http://www.macaskill.com/GeneralTall...us/angus3.html

has a BMI of 34.5. He'd look good at 306 and 24.9 BMI, though,
wouldn't he? :-)

A friend of my brother in the military here in Canada was a muscular
man, 235 or so at 5' 10". He was an avid weightlifter, runner, and
squash player, but they were going to toss him if he didn't get his
BMI under control. A squash-playing acquaintance (5' 8", 185', 28.1
BMI) of a squash-playing and very athletic friend (6'3", 185', 23.1
BMI) of mine had no problem beating the "fitter" man on a regular
basis. In my doctor's waiting room there is a poster featuring about
half a dozen people, all different body types, some appear slim, some
obviously a bit on the heavy side. All, though, are judged to be in
danger by BMI.

BMI maybe was fine when spreadsheets and instant calculation was not
possible, but it needs to be replaced.

I'd love to see the comparison for a hummingbird and an elephant. :-)

Tom
Old July 30th 04, 02:04 AM
Ron

In article ,
Tom MacIntyre wrote:

My 73 pound 4' 8' son could pack on about 33 pounds and still be okay.
Our Cape Breton giant, Angus MacAskill, at 7' 9" and 425 pounds the
tallest true giant in history,

Right, but of course the BMI is supposed to be used for talking about
adults.

So an exception like this is really pretty meaningless.
Old July 30th 04, 02:57 AM
Pat Styles

"RS990" wrote in message
"JPM III" wrote in message

HAH! Sosa at 185?! Maybe ten years ago...

According to the Cubs website Sosa is 6'0 and 220lbs.

Greg Maddux is 6'0 and 185lbs, and I can't remember Sosa ever looking that
small.

Try to find some pictures of him with the Rangers; it's shocking to see the
difference between then and now.
ps

Old July 30th 04, 06:59 AM
Roger Moore

Will Brink writes:

BMI does not apply well to athletic people, in particular strength
athletes, as a measure of BF% or health, that's for sure.

There's some question about BMI as a measure in general or whether it just
looks good because of a post hoc ergo prompter hoc reasoning. The
argument is that the real factor controlling health is physical fitness.
Unfortunately, fitness is hard to measure, so it's difficult to use it in
epidemiological studies. BMI, OTOH, is easy to measure and has a decent
correlation with fitness (there are far more people with really high BMI
because they're couch potatoes than because they're super buff) so it's
easy to use epidemiologically and tends to turn up statistically
significant results. But (according to the theory) those results might be
even stronger if they used fitness directly rather than BMI as a proxy.
If this argument is correct, you're better off going to the gym than going
on a diet.

--
Roger Moore | Master of Meaningless Trivia | )
I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the