Walking with a GPS in France...

Old December 16th 03, 03:19 PM
Nick Hopton

Default Walking with a GPS in France...

I see that recent IGN 1:25,000 maps are 'GPS Compatible'. Can someone
point me towards any information about the GPS grid system used in
France and how I would have to set up the Geko to use the grid?

BTW, I see that unlike the OS the IGN do all of their 1:25,000 mapping
on CD-ROM, two CDs per departement, for about 37-euros per CD. We're off
to Var in February and I'll definitely be ordering at least one of these
for the Aups-Salernes area. Shaming really, that the OS doesn't do
anything comparable for the UK.

Also BTW, if anyone knows about walking in the area we're going to or
can recommend any reading material, I'd be very grateful for the
information. What's the weather like in the hills down there, in
February?

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
Caversham, Reading, England

Old December 16th 03, 04:19 PM
Ian Sant

Yes the most recent IGN Top 25 series are GPS compatible with a superimposed
grid. I've used some of them in the Var and Luberon but most recently in the
Rousillon area of the Pyrenees where dense woodland can cause a problem with
GPS reception. We did find some inaccuracies with the maps there. One chapel
in the woods, south of Amelie les Bains was about 175m out and we had some
easily recognised positions some 350m out in the same area. It's still a
good idea to use basic map reading skills and treat the map/GPS relationship
with caution.

I used an E-trex and set the Map datum to WGS84 and the Position Format to
UTM if I remember correctly. There were some problems with Ozi- explorer
when reading IGN maps into the computer. You need to know what zone you are
in. I used trial and error until it worked!

Don't know what the Var will be like in Feb, could be wettish and cool. It's
very warm in May!

--
Ian Sant

Old December 16th 03, 06:22 PM
Jim Hutton

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:19:46 -0000, "Ian Sant"
wrote:

Yes the most recent IGN Top 25 series are GPS compatible with a superimposed
grid. I've used some of them in the Var and Luberon but most recently in the
Rousillon area of the Pyrenees where dense woodland can cause a problem with
GPS reception. We did find some inaccuracies with the maps there. One chapel
in the woods, south of Amelie les Bains was about 175m out and we had some
easily recognised positions some 350m out in the same area. It's still a
good idea to use basic map reading skills and treat the map/GPS relationship
with caution.

Were these inaccuracies general (ie everything in the area was 175m
out) or was the particular object shown in the wrong place in relation
to other map objects ? Most IGN maps are produced from photo
reconnaissance (you can actually buy the photos for some areas) so I
am a bit surprised there are things wrong.

I used an E-trex and set the Map datum to WGS84 and the Position Format to
UTM if I remember correctly. There were some problems with Ozi- explorer
when reading IGN maps into the computer. You need to know what zone you are
in. I used trial and error until it worked!

If you look in the information page of an IGN TOP25 map, at the very
bottom is some info about the scales, projections etc. The very last
sentence (in very small black type) tells you the 'Fuseau' ie the UTM
segment you need.

Eg "Mercator Transverse Universel fuseau 32"

I have a web reference somewhere about UTM, I'll dig it out.

Jim Hutton

Old December 16th 03, 06:28 PM
Paul Saunders

Ian Sant wrote:

One chapel in the woods, south of
Amelie les Bains was about 175m out

You might have had very bad reception in the woods which could have
caused that.

and we had some easily recognised
positions some 350m out in the same area.

Did you recognise any positions that were accurate?

It's still a good idea to
use basic map reading skills and treat the map/GPS relationship with
caution.

It's a good idea to check the satellite display page to see what kind of
reception you are getting. In particular look at the EPE, which gives a
rough idea of the accuracy. If it's way off then you know you can't
trust it. If you've locked onto many sats with a good signal and a low
EPE, then you can be pretty sure you can trust it.

I used an E-trex and set the Map datum to WGS84 and the Position
Format to UTM if I remember correctly.

Doesn't sound right. Doesn't France have it's own datum (UK is OrdSrvy)
and grid format (UK is BNG) ? Someone here should know.

Paul
--
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/october/october.html
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old December 16th 03, 07:23 PM
Dominic Sexton

In article , Paul Saunders
writes
Ian Sant wrote:

I used an E-trex and set the Map datum to WGS84 and the Position
Format to UTM if I remember correctly.

Doesn't sound right. Doesn't France have it's own datum (UK is OrdSrvy)
and grid format (UK is BNG) ? Someone here should know.

'tis correct:

http://translate.google.com/translat.../www.ign.fr/af
fiche_rubrique.asp%3Frbr_id%3D960&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgps%2Bsite:ign.fr%26
num%3D100%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8

--

Dominic Sexton
http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/
Old December 16th 03, 09:12 PM
Boo

I see that recent IGN 1:25,000 maps are 'GPS Compatible'.

That is good news indeed. I have the full set of eleven 1:50,000 IGN
maps covering the Pyrenees and found it very frustrating when I
traversed the Pyrenees last year (by bicycle) that I couldn't get a
fix by map and GPS.

You may be interested to know that the ICC (Institut Cartographic de
Catalunya) have added another half-dozen maps to the Pyreneean 50k
series. They are numbered 20 through 25 and straddle the French-Spanish
border, giving a much better coverage of the southern side than the
original series (numbers 1 through 11). Best news of all is they are
pretty accurate and they have a GPS grid !

hth,

--
Boo

Old December 16th 03, 10:56 PM
Tim Jones

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:19:23 +0000, Nick Hopton
wrote:

I see that recent IGN 1:25,000 maps are 'GPS Compatible'. Can someone
point me towards any information about the GPS grid system used in
France and how I would have to set up the Geko to use the grid?

BTW, I see that unlike the OS the IGN do all of their 1:25,000 mapping
on CD-ROM, two CDs per departement, for about 37-euros per CD. We're off
to Var in February and I'll definitely be ordering at least one of these
for the Aups-Salernes area. Shaming really, that the OS doesn't do
anything comparable for the UK.

Also BTW, if anyone knows about walking in the area we're going to or
can recommend any reading material, I'd be very grateful for the
information. What's the weather like in the hills down there, in
February?

I bought a GPS compatible map, but I couldn't work out where to plug
the GPS into it

Old December 17th 03, 06:44 AM
Paul Saunders

Dominic Sexton wrote:

'tis correct:

I see.

Paul

Old December 17th 03, 10:42 PM
Pierre Lavaurs

Nick Hopton wrote:
(...). What's the weather like in the hills down there, in February?

Regards,
Nick.

Not yet walked in this precise part of the Var department but I answer
nonetheless from my general knowledge of Provence in winter. Expect
plenty of sun -of course a rotten week cannot be excluded. And expect
some days a devilish cold wind coming from the north. Temperatures are
probably 10 C lower than on the coast, not including the chill factor of
the wind.