GPS settings for France...

Old January 18th 04, 01:44 PM
Nick Hopton

Default GPS settings for France...

We'll be off to the south of France soon, for a week's holiday that will
include some walking. I wonder if someone could tell me how to set up
the Geko (301) to use the IGN TOP25 GPS grid?

Regarding the maps themselves, would I be right in thinking that the
French GPS grid works like ours, with a zone, an easting and a northing?
Looking at (for example) IGN TOP25 map 3443 OT I see in the small print
something about 'fuseau 34'. Is this the zone?

Regards,
Nick.
--
Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
Caversham, Reading, England

Old January 18th 04, 08:45 PM
Boo

Nick Hopton wrote:
We'll be off to the south of France soon, for a week's holiday that will
include some walking. I wonder if someone could tell me how to set up
the Geko (301) to use the IGN TOP25 GPS grid?

Set the grid to UTM and the datum to WGS84.

Regarding the maps themselves, would I be right in thinking that the
French GPS grid works like ours, with a zone, an easting and a northing?
Looking at (for example) IGN TOP25 map 3443 OT I see in the small print
something about 'fuseau 34'. Is this the zone?

It works as you say with an easting and a northing, Idk what the fuseau
is for but ime you can ignore it when using the maps with a GPS.

hth,

--
Boo

Old January 19th 04, 01:07 PM
Phil Cook

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:45:15 +0000, Boo wrote:

Nick Hopton wrote:
We'll be off to the south of France soon, for a week's holiday that will
include some walking. I wonder if someone could tell me how to set up
the Geko (301) to use the IGN TOP25 GPS grid?

Set the grid to UTM and the datum to WGS84.

Regarding the maps themselves, would I be right in thinking that the
French GPS grid works like ours, with a zone, an easting and a northing?
Looking at (for example) IGN TOP25 map 3443 OT I see in the small print
something about 'fuseau 34'. Is this the zone?

It works as you say with an easting and a northing, Idk what the fuseau
is for but ime you can ignore it when using the maps with a GPS.

A UTM position to 100m is given as:

12A 345 6789

12A denotes the zone, this is what the French call fuseau.
345 is the easting and 6789 the northing.

Canon EOS 300D Paul Saunders Walking in the UK 492 June 16th 04 03:44 AM
Lifefitness TR8500 settings question Mark Rebuck Running 2 April 5th 04 11:56 PM
Multiple muscle settings jan Weights 2 March 25th 04 09:51 PM
Nordic Track Settings Andrew Ross Aerobic 1 July 3rd 03 01:28 PM