O'Groats to Lands End via bridle paths - possible?

Old January 26th 04, 09:53 AM
petal puss

Default O'Groats to Lands End via bridle paths - possible?

I am an Australian interested in walking John O'Groats to Lands End. I
have done four trips to Britain and absolutely love walking the UK
country side.
Is it possible to walk End to End via bridle paths and walking paths
only?
How long is the average walk duration? Any good web sites where I can
get info?
Thanks
Jo
Old January 26th 04, 03:53 PM
Reid

Following up to petal puss

Is it possible to walk End to End via bridle paths and walking paths
only?

there's a book of a chap doing this, he's written several walking
books, John something? Someone will know!
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old January 26th 04, 04:16 PM
Reid

Following up to Reid

Following up to petal puss

Is it possible to walk End to End via bridle paths and walking paths
only?

there's a book of a chap doing this, he's written several walking
books, John something? Someone will know!

Clare, Clear?

This isnt it but:-
"http://www.mayfair.u-net.com/walk.html"
says this
Land's End to John o'Groats - A Choice of Footpaths for Walking
the Length of Britain" - Andrew McCloy, 6.99 Hodder & Stoughton
(1995) 0-340-63750-1.
An excellent place to continue your preparation for the Walk.
Also available in Hardback, but don't bother because you'll
probably want to take it with you. The book details three routes
from Land's End, including the masochistic Easterly route via
Newmarket and Lincoln. Also includes an Appendix on Equipment and
Preparation (although not as good as this page!), and a
comprehensive Bibliography (better than this page).
Old January 26th 04, 05:43 PM
Bryan Hall

Turn Right at Land's End - John N Merrill ?

These may help as well
http://www.ldwa.org.uk/

http://www.fatbadgers.co.uk/Britain/longdist.htm

and this is pretty good for filling in the gaps
http://www.xs4all.nl/~keizee/index.html

Following up to petal puss

Old January 26th 04, 07:30 PM
Reid

Following up to Bryan Hall

Turn Right at Land's End - John N Merrill ?

that's it, thanks.
Old January 26th 04, 11:48 PM
petal puss

Thank you everyone for your input. I have had a quick look at your
book and site suggestions and they look like they will get me on my
way. Thanks again - maybe I'll see you out walking one day!!
Jo
Old January 26th 04, 11:58 PM
Stuart Mann

Reid wrote in
:

Following up to Bryan Hall

Turn Right at Land's End - John N Merrill ?

that's it, thanks.

There's also "Journey through Britain" by John Hillaby - which was my
nightly reading many years ago whilst cycling end-to-end.

I couldn't remember the title so I did a Google search and came up with this
site http://www.landsendjohnogroats.com - it looks like an excellent
resource, with an extensive booklist including one book by urw-contributor
Chris Townsend.

Enjoy planning your trip! You'll see some wonderful and varied scenery - but
if that is your main objective I suggest that you select your route with
that in mind rather than taking the shortest possible line.

Stuart
Old January 27th 04, 10:59 AM
Reid

Following up to Stuart Mann

Turn Right at Land's End - John N Merrill ?

that's it, thanks.

There's also "Journey through Britain" by John Hillaby - which was my
nightly reading many years ago whilst cycling end-to-end.

or rather that's it :-S Perhaps I read them both?