bench press vs pushups

Old July 23rd 03, 09:09 PM
T.R.H.

Default bench press vs pushups

Just read a thread on MFM where it was claimed a pushup is like pressing 2/3
of your body weight, if I read it right. Apparently this can be verified by
getting in pushup position on a set of scales and putting your hands on the
scales.
Well, if thats the case then there must be a totally different muscle group
used in pushups, 'cause I can pump off 30+ pushups but no way in hell can I
bench 110 for 30 reps non-stop.

Thinking about it the two exersizes should be very similar, should they not?
Why the big difference?

Old July 23rd 03, 09:31 PM
Keith Hobman

In article , "T.R.H."
wrote:

Just read a thread on MFM where it was claimed a pushup is like pressing 2/3
of your body weight, if I read it right. Apparently this can be verified by
getting in pushup position on a set of scales and putting your hands on the
scales.
Well, if thats the case then there must be a totally different muscle group
used in pushups, 'cause I can pump off 30+ pushups but no way in hell can I
bench 110 for 30 reps non-stop.

Thinking about it the two exersizes should be very similar, should they not?
Why the big difference?

Most of the time high rep push-ups becomes a partials type of thing.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

Old July 23rd 03, 09:47 PM
Dufus McGoob

"T.R.H." wrote in message
Just read a thread on MFM where it was claimed a pushup is like pressing

2/3
of your body weight, if I read it right. Apparently this can be verified

by
getting in pushup position on a set of scales and putting your hands on

the
scales.
Well, if thats the case then there must be a totally different muscle

group
used in pushups, 'cause I can pump off 30+ pushups but no way in hell can

bench 110 for 30 reps non-stop.

Thinking about it the two exersizes should be very similar, should they

not?
Why the big difference?

You can use the scales, but it's not going to give you the answer you are
looking for. One, the weight on your scales will also weigh the muscles
doing the work. So you may need to weigh your arms and subtract that too.
Two, there is an emotional thing about lifting the bar that may also get in
the way. I had a problem initially breaking 200, then 300. 300 was a big
problem, even when I could rep 265-275 I could not press 300 once.
Sometimes it takes a partner telling you it's only 290....... Of course
this was the same guy that would put two fingers just touching the top of
the bar to mess you up other times.

Dufus

Old July 23rd 03, 11:20 PM
Wayne S. Hill

T.R.H. wrote:

Now, if I put the heavier plates on the outside, or for that
matter put all the plates as far towards each end as I can,
would it not be a better workout for the stabilizer muscles
than if the weights are as close together as possible?, as
this would require even more effort to balance the bar?

I see your point, but if you put the heaviest weights as close to
the center as possible, you'll have to work harder to maintain a
clean motion than if you put the heaviest weights further out.
Thus, I'd say you effectively got it backwards.

--
-Wayne

Old July 23rd 03, 11:28 PM
T.R.H.

"Wayne S. Hill" wrote in message
T.R.H. wrote:

Now, if I put the heavier plates on the outside, or for that
matter put all the plates as far towards each end as I can,
would it not be a better workout for the stabilizer muscles
than if the weights are as close together as possible?, as
this would require even more effort to balance the bar?

I see your point, but if you put the heaviest weights as close to
the center as possible, you'll have to work harder to maintain a
clean motion than if you put the heaviest weights further out.
Thus, I'd say you effectively got it backwards.

I've been experimenting a bit after I'm done my initial sets by doing small
sets with my grip just inside the rack (harder) and with my grips butting up
against the plates (seems to be easier).

Taking this to the extreme, why not have water filled weights about 1/2
full, think of the effect on those stabilizer muscles when lifting the
weight AND keeping that sloshing water in check! - -- jeez, I should patent
this idea before I see it on the next infomercial.... ;-)

Old July 24th 03, 02:34 AM
omegazero2003

"Keith Hobman" wrote in message
In article , "T.R.H."
wrote:

Just read a thread on MFM where it was claimed a pushup is like pressing

2/3
of your body weight, if I read it right. Apparently this can be verified

by
getting in pushup position on a set of scales and putting your hands on

the
scales.
Well, if thats the case then there must be a totally different muscle

group
used in pushups, 'cause I can pump off 30+ pushups but no way in hell

can I
bench 110 for 30 reps non-stop.

Thinking about it the two exersizes should be very similar, should they

not?
Why the big difference?

Most of the time high rep push-ups becomes a partials type of thing.

Not only that but the mechanics are different for a variety of reasons. And
the ballistics are a bit in favor of pushups too; I can let myself fall
faster and push myself up faster, for most reps, than I could 70 of my BW on
bench. I.e., I can do 20 puchups faster than I could do 20 presses with 70%
of bw, and mucles would not be as tired (ready for more pushups) as they are
doinbg a set of 20 presses (time under tension). This comes even more into
play as I try to hit 30 presses versus 30 pushups; 30 presses are getting
close to a minute under tension, where I can do 30 pushups in about 30-40
seconds. etc.

Yet they are similar in that how many good pushups you can do depends on
how far apart your hands are on the ground - much like in the bench press -
so there there is a similarity (farther apart and more chest is used as
there is more of arms crossing the chest motion (where the pecs come in more
than the tris). Holding the hands closer on pushups get the same result as
doing closegrips - more tris involved so they get trashed before the chest.