Fat Loss at the Mid-Section vs. Gaining Lean Muscle Mass

Old August 9th 04, 06:20 PM
Indiana

Default Fat Loss at the Mid-Section vs. Gaining Lean Muscle Mass

I am 33, 6'2", 180 lbs.
I want to grow lean muscle and get rid of my belly/love handles.
I have never been consistent about weight lifting, but for the past 7
months I have been going to the gym religiously.

I have added a lot of proteins in my deit - egg whites, boneless
chicken breast. 100% WHEY Protein from GNC, 1% fat Milk, Fat Free
Yogurt.
I have eliminated my consumption of sugar (candies/ice creams, etc)
and fats(cookies,brownies/french fries, etc.)

I use canola oil for cooking, if I cook.
However, I take 2 servings of Feta cheese in a week, and 2 servings of
white rince in a week.
I eat whole grain bread, grain cereal.

A trainer told me that I have two competing goals:
1. Loose Belly vs. 2. Gain Lean Muscle Mass.
He suggested that I focus on loosing the belly fat first, and once I
loose that, then I should focus on gaining lean mass.

I have read on the Internet that Cardio is the way to loose the fat
around belly.

During a week, I workout 2 days then rest the 3rd day then work out 2
days.

1st day: 45 minute jog (3 miles), followed by 1 hr weight lifting
(chest (bench press & push ups), biceps, shoulders (military press &
upright row), cable pull down.

2nd day: 45 minutes jog followed by 1 hr weight lifting
(leg extension, leg curls, triceps, upper back, squats)

I need some feedback/guidance on my workout routine:
Should I do the jog (cardio) the same day I lift weights?
If not, please advise?

Any other advice on diet and exercise is welcome.

Thanks
Old August 9th 04, 06:31 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

On 2004-08-09, Indiana wrote:
I am 33, 6'2", 180 lbs.
I want to grow lean muscle and get rid of my belly/love handles.

All muscle is "lean".

I have never been consistent about weight lifting, but for the past 7
months I have been going to the gym religiously.

There's your problem. Become an atheist and you'll get better results.

GNC is expensive horse****.

A trainer told me that I have two competing goals:
1. Loose Belly vs. 2. Gain Lean Muscle Mass.
He suggested that I focus on loosing the belly fat first, and once I

It's **** LOSE ****

Any other advice on diet and exercise is welcome.

Keep doing exercise. Some jogging, and picking up heavy things. Eat what
you're already eating (except the GNC horse****) And while you're at it, learn
to read and write at a junior high level or better, dammit!!!

It's as simple as that. Which is a good thing, for you.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old August 9th 04, 06:39 PM
Karl Groves

"Indiana" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The "trainer" you mentioned is a moron.
First - lifting weights will cause an increase in lean muscle mass. The
body has one goal: to do everything as easily as it can. So, if you
repeatedly expect it to lift heavy things, it will become stronger (so that
lifting heavy things is easier for it). To get stronger, an increase in
lean muscle mass is required. Lift more weight, get stronger, gain lean
muscle.

Second - exercising expends energy. Fat is stored energy. If you expend more
energy than you take in, your body will utilize your energy reserves.

There's really nothing more to it than that. A lot of people try getting
"scientific" with bull**** about how long it takes during activity to switch
from burning sugars to burning fats and all that. Unless you're genetically
gifted and on your way to elite-level physical competition, ignore that
crap. Just friggin get in the gym and do it.

--
Karl Core

Link of the day: http://216.127.86.74/dubyaresume.com/

http://www.karlcore.com
http://www.usabilityinfo.com
http://www.murderthestupid.com

Old August 9th 04, 07:56 PM
Karl Groves

"Lyle McDonald" wrote in message
Karl Groves wrote:

"Indiana" wrote in message
[...]

Like I said, we can get all geeky about it but the bottom line is that as
one gets stronger, muscle mass increases.
Is there a limit? Yes. Does muscle mass increase in direct proportion to
strength increase? No. But that's all nitpicky bull****. For the OP, just a
regular guy trying to get fit, all he needs to know is the above.

-Karl

Old August 9th 04, 08:41 PM
Lyle McDonald

Karl Groves wrote:
"Lyle McDonald" wrote in message

Karl Groves wrote:

"Indiana" wrote in message
e.com...

[...]

No it's not.

Lyle

Old August 9th 04, 09:04 PM
Karl Groves

Karl Groves wrote:

"Indiana" wrote in message
[...]

Are you going to offer an alternative argument or continue saying "Nope"?

-Karl

Old August 10th 04, 03:59 AM
bc

Karl Groves wrote:

"Indiana" wrote in message
[...]

Here's where Lyle should write, "Nope."
- bc

Old August 10th 04, 06:34 AM
Hugh Beyer

(Indiana) wrote in news:3b62e635.0408090920.5cfcbec2
@posting.google.com:

I am 33, 6'2", 180 lbs.
I want to grow lean muscle and get rid of my belly/love handles.

Keep the belly. It performs an important physiological function. The love
handles can go.

I have never been consistent about weight lifting, but for the past 7
months I have been going to the gym religiously.

God is good.

I have added a lot of proteins in my deit - egg whites, boneless
chicken breast.

Eat the bones, they add roughage.

100% WHEY Protein from GNC,

There are cheaper sources.

1% fat Milk, Fat Free Yogurt.
I have eliminated my consumption of sugar (candies/ice creams, etc)
and fats(cookies,brownies/french fries, etc.)

No you haven't, and a good thing, too. You may have reduced your
consumption of fats. You need some fat in your diet.

I use canola oil for cooking, if I cook.
However, I take 2 servings of Feta cheese in a week...

That Feta cheese blows the whole diet out of the water. Shoot yourself
now.

and 2 servings of white rince in a week.

RINCE? You're eating RINCE? God, man, what are you thinking?

I eat whole grain bread, grain cereal.

OK, with the above caveats this doesn't look too stupid, but you haven't
said anything about how MUCH of the above you're eating. You can either
count calories or just be really consistent, and reduce quantities until
you're losing pretty consistently each week.

A trainer told me that I have two competing goals:
1. Loose Belly vs. 2. Gain Lean Muscle Mass.
He suggested that I focus on loosing the belly fat first, and once I
loose that, then I should focus on gaining lean mass.

Hey, a trainer passing out good advice. Halt the presses.

I have read on the Internet that Cardio is the way to loose the fat
around belly.

No, eating less than you expend in energy is the way to lose fat all over,
including around the belly. Cardio is one way to shift the equation in
your favor. Eating less is the another.

During a week, I workout 2 days then rest the 3rd day then work out 2
days.

May not be optimal, but may not be bad.

1st day: 45 minute jog (3 miles), followed by 1 hr weight lifting
(chest (bench press & push ups), biceps, shoulders (military press &
upright row), cable pull down.

2nd day: 45 minutes jog followed by 1 hr weight lifting
(leg extension, leg curls, triceps, upper back, squats)

Oh dear. You were doing so well. Go to
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html and pick out a decent routine from
the "workouts" section. Krista's got a couple of 2-day splits that make
sense (yours does not). I'd recommend the beginner's full-body routine
myself.

I need some feedback/guidance on my workout routine:
Should I do the jog (cardio) the same day I lift weights?
If not, please advise?

Do your cardio AFTER the weightlifting or on your day off.

Hugh

--
No puppies were harmed in the creation of this post.

New informatoin on gaining Muscle Mass Graphix Guy Aerobic 24 July 22nd 04 07:49 AM
rec.running FAQ, part 1 of 8 Ozzie Gontang Running 5 July 13th 04 05:17 AM
Weight machine ?s Me Weights 16 May 16th 04 12:28 AM
rec.running FAQ, part 1 of 8 Ozzie Gontang Running 7 December 31st 03 01:35 AM
rec.running FAQ, part 1 of 8 Ozzie Gontang Running 6 December 16th 03 11:59 AM