New Workout Program - Need Advice

Old August 19th 04, 07:59 PM

"John HUDSON" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:31:31 +1000, "David"
wrote:

"stracy5" wrote in message
. com...
Well, here is what I have learned:

1) To fail or not to fail.

There may or may not be a significant difference in stimulation of
muscle growth. "Training to failure" may overload your motor neurons
and require you to take longer between workouts, which may not be as
optimal as "NOT training to failure" and working out more often. On
the other hand some people don't feel like they have gotten a good
workout unless they fail and it may be a positive physiological factor
in their workout.

I guess it is still an open question in my mind as to when my motor
neurons and/or muscles are recovered enough for the next workout if I
train to failure. Is 72 - 96 hrs enough time as I work each body part
twice a week now?

2) SS

It doesn't really matter what I have learned about it, because I will
probably never use it. Well I might try it some time if I want to get
really wiled and crazy. I currently do "normal" reps about 2/2.

3) Volume, Intensity and Frequency

These are 3 variables that can be varied when designing a workout
program. There seems to be no consensus on the optimal combination of
these factors. Each person needs to find what works best for him/her
and possible vary these factors to prevent or break through plateaus.

NOTE: I am taking intensity here to mean how close to failure you come
when performing your sets. I know some take the meaning of intensity
as what %1RM you are working with (I guess this would add a forth
variable to the equation).

4) John Hudson

John Hudson is a cheery fellow that plays rugby.

Anyway, I know from my own experience that, as long as the program is
within reason, being on a weight lifting program and staying on it is
the most important thing for getting results. That said, I am going
to go ahead with my program (with some minor adjustments) and perform
only one set per exercise. I will probably do the sets to failure or
almost to failure some or all of the time depending on my recovery and
progress. I am only doing one set because I simply will not have time
to do more as I will be working on a Master's degree.

One of my goals is to join the 400 lb club on bench press. My 1RM on
bench is currently back up to 350 lbs (calculated). Last year I was
up to 385 lbs (actual) but took a 7 month layoff due to some RSI in my
forearm. Once I get to the 400 lb mark on bench I am not planning on
trying to continue to build assuming my other stats are in check. I
will be looking to find a good maintenance program and loose some fat.

If I don't reach my 400 lb goal by next summer I will go back to the
5-day split multi-set program I am just coming off of.

Thanks for all the interesting dialogue,

ST

I agree with everything you said except the part about John Hudson. I

would
say he is an abrasive fellow who enjoys his weekends.

I'll second that!! ;o)

or , , , a sarcastic person who hates Mondays

Old August 19th 04, 08:43 PM
John HUDSON

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:59:18 +1000, "David"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"stracy5" wrote in message
[...]

I'll second that two!!

Go for three David, you're on a roll!! ;o)

Old August 19th 04, 08:51 PM

wrote:

"John HUDSON" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:31:31 +1000, "David"
wrote:

[.......]

5-day split multi-set program I am just coming off of.

Thanks for all the interesting dialogue,

ST

I agree with everything you said except the part about John Hudson. I

would
say he is an abrasive fellow who enjoys his weekends.

I'll second that!! ;o)

or , , , a sarcastic person who hates Mondays

I'll second that two!!

Go for three David, you're on a roll!! ;o)

ok I love a challenge . . . .. a bumptious fellow who enjoys a Pimms?

Old August 19th 04, 08:58 PM
John HUDSON

wrote:

"John HUDSON" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:31:31 +1000, "David"
wrote:

[.......]

5-day split multi-set program I am just coming off of.

Thanks for all the interesting dialogue,

ST

I agree with everything you said except the part about John Hudson. I
would
say he is an abrasive fellow who enjoys his weekends.

I'll second that!! ;o)

or , , , a sarcastic person who hates Mondays

I'll second that two!!

Go for three David, you're on a roll!! ;o)

ok I love a challenge . . . .. a bumptious fellow who enjoys a Pimms?

You know me too well; you win!! ;o)