Chlorine pools kill me!

Old July 13th 04, 01:38 PM
John Hardt

Default Chlorine pools kill me!

On 7/14/04 12:38 AM, in article, "bigempty" wrote:

Hi!
Just wondering if anyone out there has the same problem with chlorine pools.
For at least a couple of days after a swimming session my nose is blocked
and it feels like i have a nasty head cold. What can i do? Being in the
south of australia its to cold to swim at the beach!
And advice would be great!
Thanks.

I have this problem to a lesser extent - it usually only lasts about a day
for me. I've never been officially diagnosed, but I've had several health
care professionals tell me it sounds like a slight chlorine allergy.

I've managed to reduce the problems by making sure I shower immediately
after getting out of the pool. I wash everything - especially my face -
thoroughly with a "neutral" soap like ivory and wash my hair using a good
shampoo that gets the chlorine out of my hair. Neutragena Clean Balance
works great and isn't too expensive.

I still occasionally have the sniffles, but it's no where near as bad once
you "get the stuff off you". If that doesn't work, buy yourself a good
wetsuit and head for the nearest lake.

John

Old July 13th 04, 01:42 PM
Steve B.

bigempty said:

Hi!
Just wondering if anyone out there has the same problem with chlorine pools.
For at least a couple of days after a swimming session my nose is blocked
and it feels like i have a nasty head cold. What can i do? Being in the
south of australia its to cold to swim at the beach!
And advice would be great!

The Bondi Icebergs swim in the (unheated) ocean everyday of the year (and
actually put ice in their ocean pool for the traditional first swim of the
winter) so you could perhaps reappraise "too cold", and swim in the ocean.
You might even want to wear a wetsuit.

Where are you, exactly?

Steve = : ^ )

Old July 13th 04, 05:38 PM

I still occasionally have the sniffles, but it's no where near as bad once
you "get the stuff off you". If that doesn't work, buy yourself a good
wetsuit and head for the nearest lake.

Would a swimming snorkel help in such circumstances?

Maybe get air ABOVE the pool where chlorine "gas" is
not residing?

Just a thought. I don't know

Old July 14th 04, 12:04 AM
mark

My wife has the same problem and solved it by taking an allegra or
zyrtec or whatever drug of that type you prefer.

just my .02
mark

Old July 14th 04, 02:35 AM
DaveB

bigempty wrote:
Hi!
Just wondering if anyone out there has the same problem with chlorine pools.
For at least a couple of days after a swimming session my nose is blocked
and it feels like i have a nasty head cold. What can i do? Being in the
south of australia its to cold to swim at the beach!
And advice would be great!
Thanks.

Try finding an outdoor pool. The indoor ones tend to have higher water
temp (for the people just standing around) and because of the higher
temp they have more chlorine to kill all the nasties in the water. If
south of Australia (not South Australia??) means Melbourne, I swim at
Doncaster where they have the outdoor pool open all year (a lot of the
outdoor pools close durign winter). Water temp is still around 26degrees
(Celsius that is) but I get soem cold days or nights with the pool to
myself. I feel like crap after swimming in the indoor pool especially
with all that chlorine in my eyes, but feel great after an outdoor session.

DaveB

New User to chlorine Tom J Swimming 3 August 3rd 04 12:49 AM
Swimming Causes Asthma (continued) Larry Weisenthal Swimming 18 July 27th 04 12:33 AM
Kayak Pools Lee Auge Swimming 2 July 15th 04 07:50 PM
Chloramines C. Jensen Swimming 3 June 3rd 04 12:33 PM
Kill Bin law den Lobo Horsesass Running 2 March 19th 04 12:37 AM