Mentally Preparing for the Wall

Old October 2nd 04, 06:44 AM
Charlie and Lisa Harrison

Default Mentally Preparing for the Wall

Last Sunday I ran my 2nd Marathon in Berlin. The weather was cool, the
crowds were amazing and I managed to beat my goal time by 8 minutes and last
years time by 47 minutes running it in 3:07:02 which also qualifies me for
Boston (not that I have any idea when I will be in Boston).

As I actually 'ran' this marathon with a goal in mind as opposed to just
trying to finish, I managed to run hard enough to hit the famous 'marathon
wall' at 36 km (yes, I wish I hadn't skipped those long runs while on
vacation) . It was quite a wall, I was a national level competitive swimmer
in my youth but never had I experience pain quite like this. The 'wall'
combined with the cheering and urging of the crowds and then looking around
to see other people dealing with their own battles with the 'wall' was quite
emotional. A great experience but one I would like to avoid.

Clearly avoiding the wall through better training and pacing is the best
approach, but I also wondered about being better prepared to deal with it
mentally (I ate lots of carbs during the run, I didn't bonk its just my legs
stopped working). If it hadn't been for the crowds, I would have struggled
to keep going. (I kept chanting Lance Armstrong's quote: "pain is
temporary, quitting is forever").

In training, I ran all of my long runs 'slowly' as recommended by so many
books and articles. My longest distance at race pace was 16 km so I didn't
ever get to the threshold that I did in the marathon, and give myself an
opportunity to practice running through the wall threshold.

Any suggestions as to how to both 'not overtrain' by doing long runs too
hard but to train hard enough that you can learn to deal with going on
despite the pain associated with 'the wall'?

Old October 2nd 04, 07:04 AM
Dan Stumpus

The wall is a result of going out too fast. Everyone will hit the wall if
they pace it wrong. If the world record holder in the marathon goes out at
4:30/mile, even he will hit the wall before 20 miles. If he goes 4:45, he
can hang in there to the end.

You know you've run the marathon right if you can maintain almost the same
pace to the finish. It takes time and experience to know what the proper
pace feels like.

It's not necessary to run the long run that fast -- a minute per mile slower
than marathon goal is fine.

-- Dan

Old October 2nd 04, 07:07 AM
Brilliant One

The wall is a result of going out too fast. Everyone will hit the wall if
they pace it wrong.

Just be sensible,
use commonsense,
train well,
eat well,
sleep well.
Make realistic goals,
modified with each success
or need.
Take the long view...
It takes time.

_______
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo"http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo/A

Old October 3rd 04, 05:02 AM
Miss Anne Thrope

To mentally prepare, just repeat the following...."I'm not as goofy as I
look!" "People are laughing with me, not at me!" "Chicks dig smelly
red splotchy mouth breathers!" It's all about positive reinforcement.

Old October 5th 04, 03:11 AM
Andrew Taylor

In article ,
Charlie and Lisa Harrison wrote:
Any suggestions as to how to both 'not overtrain' by doing long runs too
hard but to train hard enough that you can learn to deal with going on
despite the pain associated with 'the wall'?

You might be better off looking at pacing/fuelling. But if you want to
improve your prepartion, I find a few race pace kilometres near the end
of 30km training runs educational.

And congratulations on the huge PB!

Andrew Taylor
Old October 5th 04, 07:55 AM