MBT (Masi Barefoot Technology) shoes

Old October 18th 04, 11:02 PM
Chris J

Default MBT (Masi Barefoot Technology) shoes

These shares have a weird curved sole and are supposed simulate
walking barefoot on uneven terrain. See their web site at
http://swissmasaius.com/ .

Has anyone tried these shoes? How did you like them?

A German physical therapist (whom I met this weekend because she's a
friend of a relative who's visiting the U.S.) highly recommended that
I get a pair. She says that I have a leg length discrepancy and should
wear a heel lift in all my normal shoes but wouldn't need one in MBT
shoes.

She had a pair of the MBT sandals and I tried them. They felt pretty
weird, but she said that this was normal and that I'd like them once I
learned how to use them and adjusted to them. (They also look clunky
and ugly but I guess I could live with them if they work.)

She warned me that these shoes would be "sehr teuer" ("very
expensive") but I'm still a bit shocked to see that these shoes sell
in the U.S. for $239!!! Ouch.

Coincidentally (and due to language barrier issues I didn't even
mention this to her) I'm a already sold on the whole concept of
running/walking barefoot over rough terrain and occassionally use
aquasocks on rough trails. I used to have knee and illiotibial band
issues and I noticed that the rougher the terrain that I ran or walked
on, the better. And after reading Ozzie's postings on barefoot running
and doing some verification, I tried using aquasocks as he suggested
and it works pretty well.

But I'm really skeptical that any type of shoe could come anywhere
close to simulating the effect on sidewalk-type surfaces.

If you have any experience with these shoes, please post your
thoughts.

Thanks!
Chris

Old October 19th 04, 02:47 AM
Ozzie Gontang

Chris,

I'd suggest that you subscribe to http://www.goanimal.com . Also if
you get a chance to read Frank Forencich's book Play as if Your Life
Depends on It.

You'll see that the Masai walk as smoothly as they do and are as tall
as they are without the Masai Barefoot Technology. I understand the
concept, and it looks like they've put a great deal of money behind the
concept of these sandals.

Is there some way to get good walking posture without having to buy
another "technology" shoe. If you carried a 10 pound sandbag on your
head you'd find your posture would improve without using the shoes.

I am amazed at the number of people and places which are marketing and
selling these shoes. While their words seem to make sense, I really
have to question the rational behind putting someone in a thick soled
shoe that makes you roll from heel to ball and is suppose to:
Relaxes your braced position, erects your vetebral column and relieves
your back, knee, pelvis and feeet;
Increases muscle acitivyt and circulation
Leads to a relaxed, upright posture
Relieves muscular tension and joint problems.

My question is this is so, then once that good posture has been
achieved can one throw away their Masai Barefoot Technology shoes.

I was interested in looking at the various simulations of skeletons
walking.

I'm still an advocate of walking and running on uneven ground and
terrain of all different kinds of surfaces.

I'm wondering if the MBT shoe is also a semi wobble board with uneven
and unstable soles so that the feet and ankles have to continually
adjust.

I also watched the UK interview about the shoes from a year or 2 ago.
All I can say is that they're marketing it and it seems to have a lot
of people behind it. Notice the Level 1, 2, 3 certifications to help
people learn to walk properly in these shoes.

Hmmmmmm.

In health and on the run,
Ozzie Gontang
Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975
Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/
Mindful Running:
http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp

Old October 19th 04, 09:46 AM
Chris J

Ozzie Gontang wrote in message ...

Is there some way to get good walking posture without having to buy
another "technology" shoe. If you carried a 10 pound sandbag on your
head you'd find your posture would improve without using the shoes.

Wearing $20 aquasocks on genuine uneven ground works pretty well too.

[...]

Seems this is probably the case. I've seen other products marketed for
this but my impression was that they were so focused on proprioception
training that they you wouldn't want to wear them except for a few
minutes of "training." Sounds to me like these have only a mild wobble
board effect, but that still wouldn't simulate truely uneven ground.
Old October 19th 04, 09:49 AM
Chris J

Also, even if they work as well as they say, $239 is still completely unreasonable.

barefoot running Buddy Guy Running 1 June 18th 04 04:21 AM
barefoot running Buddy Guy Running 2 June 16th 04 04:19 AM
The shoes Larry McMahan Running 6 April 13th 04 08:06 PM
Running Shoes "Arc" Globaldisc Running 11 October 26th 03 11:16 PM
Clipless pedals and Transitions David Matusow Triathalon 10 July 11th 03 11:41 PM