Keeping it fun...

Old August 14th 03, 04:38 AM
gabadab

Default Keeping it fun...

Question for the people who have been working out for a while:

I go to the gym with a couple of workout buddies and we have our
routine:

3 days a week - one day chest and back, 2nd workout is legs, third
workout is arms and shoulders.

Somedays it can get pretty mundane, banal and insipid. What are some
suggestions for keeping it fun, exciting and interesting?

Sincerely,

gabadab
Old August 14th 03, 05:22 AM
The Queen of Cans and Jars

gabadab wrote:

Question for the people who have been working out for a while:

I go to the gym with a couple of workout buddies and we have our
routine:

3 days a week - one day chest and back, 2nd workout is legs, third
workout is arms and shoulders.

Somedays it can get pretty mundane, banal and insipid. What are some
suggestions for keeping it fun, exciting and interesting?

have you tried wearing party hats?

Old August 14th 03, 06:11 AM
Rutabaga23

Work out with a girl.

[No, I'm not kidding, and yes, I do.]

What are some suggestions for keeping it fun, exciting and interesting?

Old August 14th 03, 01:27 PM
Bouquet

gabadab wrote:

Somedays it can get pretty mundane, banal and insipid. What are some
suggestions for keeping it fun, exciting and interesting?

Lifting has the in-built anti-boredom device of being
able to be made progressively harder. Why don't you have
a (handicapped) competition between yourselves to see who
can increase their lifts the most, as a % of bodyweight?

I find most sessions have a notable success and a notable
failure. Revel in one, learn from the other.

Old August 15th 03, 05:52 AM
Aaron

"Aaron" wrote in message

"gabadab" wrote in message
om...
Question for the people who have been working out for a while:

I go to the gym with a couple of workout buddies and we have our
routine:

3 days a week - one day chest and back, 2nd workout is legs, third
workout is arms and shoulders.

Somedays it can get pretty mundane, banal and insipid. What are some
suggestions for keeping it fun, exciting and interesting?

Sincerely,

gabadab

why does everything have to be fun?

have your head, grow a goatee and a gut and become a heavyweight

powerlifter

**** it, that should read SHAVE your head. Having your head is a different
story

every day will be fun
--
Aaron

Old August 15th 03, 04:02 PM
John Dongle

"Aaron" wrote in message ...
"Aaron" wrote in message

"gabadab" wrote in message
om...
Question for the people who have been working out for a while:

I go to the gym with a couple of workout buddies and we have our
routine:

3 days a week - one day chest and back, 2nd workout is legs, third
workout is arms and shoulders.

Somedays it can get pretty mundane, banal and insipid. What are some
suggestions for keeping it fun, exciting and interesting?

Sincerely,

gabadab

why does everything have to be fun?

have your head, grow a goatee and a gut and become a heavyweight

powerlifter

**** it, that should read SHAVE your head. Having your head is a different
story

every day will be fun
--
Aaron

Some ways to have fun in the gym...

Clank the metal of the pec deck together on each rep.

The leg extension is a great chair to take residence
in, (If you're going to workout, you might as well be comfortable.

Change the TVs to the Shopping Channel

Do extremely light weights, but do like 50 reps, in like say 2
min.

Do situps or crunches really, really fast, and then cheat,
by pulling your head up

Spit a big green hocker in the water fountain that winks at you.

Leave a pool of back/butt sweat there for someone else to clean up.

Go around with a friendly smile and a gentle "Mind if I give you a few
tips?"

Leave a good rotten egg protein whey fart in a large group of people.

Ask if you can work in with someone and then do your Super Slow Burn
Routine of
20 reps at 1 min. a piece.

Bring one of those big gym bags that does nothing more than take up
floor space.

Show up in your jogging outfit, run in place in the squat cage.

Slip some Chiclets in your mouth, start doing squats, then squat and
blow as hard as you can launching entire contents in your mouth, cover
your mouth and say, "I sink I loth by theeth."

Ask women at that gyno leg split machine if you can borrow that towel
they put
between their legs.

John Dongle

"American's love a winner, and will not tolerate a loser". George
Patton
Old August 16th 03, 06:41 PM
Hard Headed Woman

"hardworkin" wrote in message
om...
(Rutabaga23) wrote in message

Work out with a girl.

[No, I'm not kidding, and yes, I do.]

What are some suggestions for keeping it fun, exciting and interesting?

A little trash talk among friends is ok. You know, things like, "The
last time I tried to lift that much, my chiropractor bought a boat."
Or, "I think my wife wants to use that shade of purple in the kids'
playroom." Although causing a partner to laugh in the middle of a
heavy squat might not be well received I suppose.
- HW

My kids and I do calisthenics with a deck of cards. We each take turns
choosing an exercise, then we draw a card and perform that many reps, seeing
who can do it the fastest (I usually lose). Aces count as 20 and Jokers
count as 30. Before we start, we randomly pick a card out of the deck and
have to do double when that card turns up. Sometimes (depending on time,
mood, etc...) we double all of them. No one can choose the same exercise
twice in a round, so we get a pretty good full body workout. You don't feel
like you're doing much, especially when you draw a 2, but by the time you go
through the whole deck you've done 500 reps, plus a few extra for whichever
card got doubled...1000 reps when we double the whole deck. It breaks up
the monotony of doing 100 or more reps straight through, and we have a good
time doing it. Maybe you can incorporate something like this into your
weight routine. You probably wouldn't want to do it all the time...maybe
once a week or so, just to mix things up a bit. HTH!

-Mikelle-