Newbie question

Old August 16th 03, 01:46 AM
Rob

Default Newbie question

At 31 I've finally deciding sitting behind a computer for 10 hours a day is
taking its toll on my body so I've started a rudimentary exercise program.
I'm watching my caloric intake every day and exercising enough to burn off
around 800 more calories than I take in each day. My question is is there
any way to make sure that the calories that I am burning off are fat
calories rather than muscle? I've lost about 15 pound over the past few
months but according to the body fat analyzer I bought I've only lost about
1% body fat. I'm starting to get worried that I'm going about my diet or my
weightlifting wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old August 16th 03, 05:09 AM
Zeke

"Rob" wrote in message
news:%9f%a.151642$o%[email protected]
At 31 I've finally deciding sitting behind a computer for 10 hours a day

is
taking its toll on my body so I've started a rudimentary exercise program.
I'm watching my caloric intake every day and exercising enough to burn off
around 800 more calories than I take in each day. My question is is there
any way to make sure that the calories that I am burning off are fat
calories rather than muscle? I've lost about 15 pound over the past few
months but according to the body fat analyzer I bought I've only lost

about
1% body fat. I'm starting to get worried that I'm going about my diet or

my
weightlifting wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you have the time in the morning - do 1 hour of cardio work before you
eat anything. If not, do your weight lifting first and then do 1 hour of
cardio. The idea here is to burn up the glycogen stores in your muscles
either through your mini-fast of sleeping or through some weight training.
Once this happens, your body burns fat for energy.

Zeke

Old August 16th 03, 06:44 PM
Wendy Marsden

Zeke wrote:
If you have the time in the morning - do 1 hour of cardio work before you
eat anything. If not, do your weight lifting first and then do 1 hour of
cardio. The idea here is to burn up the glycogen stores in your muscles
either through your mini-fast of sleeping or through some weight training.
Once this happens, your body burns fat for energy.

Really! Wow!

Hey, I've heard the Smith Machine is a good way to do squats. What do you
think, should I do the Smith Machine before breakfast?

Wendy
Old August 17th 03, 01:24 AM
David Cohen

"Theresa" wrote
Hey, I've heard the Smith Machine is a good way to do squats.

What
do you think, should I do the Smith Machine before breakfast?

Wendy

Wow, I just had one of those pseudo-religious hyper-rigid
that's-not-funny-we-don't-joke-about-Jesus moments.

Blasphemer. ;-)

The crowd in Bethlehem is about to stone the prostitute to death, when
Jesus steps forward and say, "LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST
STONE."

And old lady with a big rock steps up and clonks the prostitute on the
head, killing her.

Jesus turns to her and say, "Ya' know, Ma, sometimes you **** the hell
out of me!"

Old August 17th 03, 10:19 AM
David Cohen

"Willem" wrote
"Zeke" wrote:

I read the replies to my first post and I have one question for
everyone -

Are you all as think as I stoned you are?

ehmm... I think you are suggesting everyone is high on drugs ?

What are you talking about?

Well I've been in this newsgroup for a couple of months now, they

talk
about everything. Misc.Fitness.Weights... there's talk about
weightlifting, fitness, adding strength, growing muscle, losing fat,
supplements and other supporting chemicals, but a big part is just

misc
(like guns, moviestars who run for governor, jews, etc etc) And some

is
just playing with each other, just look at it as a funny way of

showing
affection.

Maybe I'm in the wrong place -

you might well be.

Is this not a fitness/weights newsgroup

it is
where people exchange useful information

it is
and try to get/give advice?

it is

Because it seems to me like it might be a
place full of fourteen year old computer geeks who think they're

cool.

it does :-)

no really, there are a lot of very friendly and helpful people

around,
who are willing to share their knowledge with the rest of the world.
Alas, this altruistic attitude is paired with a low treshold for
bull****. Could be the elevated levels of testosterone, could be

there
are just a lot of assholes around, could be they just get kinda sick

of
people asking the same thing every day over and over again, or

holding on
to the same long debunked myths...

What you should do is get a proper newsreader.
Drop some abusive people in the kill-filter,
and drop certain keywords in a thread-filter.

Than after a while you keep tweaking the filters, until finally no
message comes trough... that's when you're done, and should move

over to
some other medium (there's lots of forums (fora ?) and bulletin

boards
discussing the same thing).

growing a thick skin might also help

Very well said. And very nice, in a Canadian sense. You should keep a
copy of it, and post it in reply to the frequent whiney little bitches
who pop up on a regular basis.

Old August 17th 03, 12:29 PM
Theresa

David Cohen wrote:
"Willem" wrote
"Zeke" wrote:

I read the replies to my first post and I have one question for
everyone -

Are you all as think as I stoned you are?

ehmm... I think you are suggesting everyone is high on drugs ?

What are you talking about?

Well I've been in this newsgroup for a couple of months now, they
talk about everything. Misc.Fitness.Weights... there's talk about
weightlifting, fitness, adding strength, growing muscle, losing fat,
supplements and other supporting chemicals, but a big part is just
misc (like guns, moviestars who run for governor, Jews, etc) And

threshold for bull****. Could be the elevated levels of testosterone,
could be there are just a lot of assholes around, could be they just
get kinda sick of people asking the same thing every day over and
over again, or holding on to the same long debunked myths...

What you should do is get a proper newsreader.
Drop some abusive people in the kill-filter,
and drop certain keywords in a thread-filter.

Than after a while you keep tweaking the filters, until finally no
message comes trough... that's when you're done, and should move
over to some other medium (there's lots of forums (fora ?) and
bulletin boards discussing the same thing).

growing a thick skin might also help

Very well said. And very nice, in a Canadian sense. You should keep a
copy of it, and post it in reply to the frequent whiney little bitches
who pop up on a regular basis.

David

This could go in the FAQ. ;-)

Old August 17th 03, 02:03 PM
Dr. Dickie

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 08:51:29 +0000 (UTC), Willem
wrote:

*"Zeke" wrote:
*
[...]
*Willem.
*
*(hmm.. I must really be be bored answering rhetorical questions like
*this)

All good suggestions, and if I might, let me add another:
try to learn something instead of thinking you are right without
knowing whether you are!
Or you could just killfile the rest of the world and move on, your
choice.
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
Poking kooks with a pointy stick
"The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Curiosity has its own reason for existing."
A. Einstein
Old August 17th 03, 04:58 PM
JC Der Koenig

"Zeke" wrote in message
.com...

"John M. Williams" wrote in message

Well, Zeke, I'm afraid they were mocking you. And after you started
pontificating about ketogenic diets (e.g., Atkins) with what is
obviously a very limited knowledge thereof ("Keotosis and lipitosis I
believe they're called") and then become ridiculously pompous by
implying how much you know ("I read the entire updated edition and did
some research on my own"), don't be surprised if people treat you like
a moron.

So mis-pelling words implies complete ignorance?

Lipolysis (li-POL-i-sis)
Before fat can be burned it must be broken down to free fatty acids

and
glycerol. This process is called lipolysis. In adult man, catecholamines

are
lipolytic (they stimulate lipolysis), however, this effect is reduced
because adrenaline also stimulates the alpha 2 adrenoceptors (which are
anti-lipolytic). The net lipolytic effect of catecholamines is related to
your balance of stimulatory beta receptors and inhibitory alpha 2

receptors.

Ketosis

THE MYSTERY OF DIET CHEMISTRY

Metabolism and Ketones Play a Major Role

"A carefully designed combination of foods can increase the fat-burning
process in the human system, and this means weight loss. The SMD provides
such a combination of foods and, with the increased metabolism of fats,
makes it possible to lose an average of a pound or more each day.

Two words, metabolism and ketones are central to weight loss in a good

diet.
Sometimes, especially under proper dieting conditions, the body gets ahead
of itself by burning up more fat than it does ordinarily. When this

happens,
your body produces an excess of ketones.

Ketones are sometimes referred to as the products of partially burned (or
metabolized) fat. If you are not taking in enough carbohydrates or fats to
supply your caloric needs, your system first draws upon your stored body

fat
to supply your energy needs.
But your body does not succeed in completely consuming all the fat it
attempts to metabolize in your cells. The waste products of this process -
the partially burned fat, or "ashes"- are called ketones. If you are
producing them, it is a sign that your body is burning off fat at an
accelerated rate; you are enjoying Fast Fat Metabolism.

And that is what we want- the utilization of fat stores for calories and
energy. Pulling excess fat out of the fat storage areas is an integral

part
of an effective reducing process; your body becomes a fat-burning machine.

One of the best things about ketones for the would-be weight loser is that
they act to curb the appetite, thus making the whole dieting process less
burdensome and cutting down any need you might feel for appetite-

depressing
drugs.

Ketones are washed out of the system through the urine. This diuretic

effect
is a helpful, cleansing part of the increased fat-burning process.

The foods allowed on the SMD provide what has proved to be an effective
combination of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. The combination of foods
you eat daily on the Diet causes increased body fat metabolism and the
production of ketones, but not at more thatn a desireable level for the
average adult in normal health.

The reducing diet causing ketosis never rises to levels that might be
dangerous except in the following conditions: severe, uncontrolled

diabetes;
third trimester pregnancy, alcholism

I understand your hostility - sometimes the truth hurts - especially when

it
proves you wrong.

Zeke

So now you've learned to cut and paste. MFW has helped you already. Bravo!

Old August 17th 03, 05:47 PM
Zeke

"John M. Williams" wrote in message

It just re-establishes my point, Zeke. Nearly everyone who has spent
time in this newsgroup *knows* what ketosis and lipolysis are *and*
how to spell them. For example, a search of my own posts in this
newsgroup demonstrates that I was capable of properly spelling and
using such words in this newgroup as far back as seven years ago. I'm
sorry to learn that you are still having difficulty with that, and I'm
even more saddened by how clueless you are in that regard.

This argument has nothing to do with the inital question/post. And for this
very reason, and also everyone's hostility, I very firmly stand by my
initial post concerning lack of valid information. This newgroup quickly
deteriorates questions into personal attacks. And BTW - the guy's post said
'newbie' and therefore he may not have know what you claim anyone spending
time on a newsgroup would know. Not everyone learns things at the same
exact moment you do. To steal a line from you - I'm sorry to learn you have
difficulty understanding simple concepts.
I cut and pasted that because if I don't provide proof from some source,
I get attacked. Seems I also get attacked if I DO provide proof. Satori
was right a few weeks back saying you people are self-involved jackasses.
I'm glad to see he never came back - he apparently didn't need the
aggravation. Go ahead and block my posts - I don't want your inane,
immature responses anyway. Good lord are you people babies.

Zeke

Old August 17th 03, 05:48 PM
John M. Williams

"Zeke" wrote:

"John M. Williams" wrote:

Well, Zeke, I'm afraid they were mocking you. And after you started
pontificating about ketogenic diets (e.g., Atkins) with what is
obviously a very limited knowledge thereof ("Keotosis and lipitosis I
believe they're called") and then become ridiculously pompous by
implying how much you know ("I read the entire updated edition and did
some research on my own"), don't be surprised if people treat you like
a moron.

So mis-pelling words implies complete ignorance?

Lipolysis (li-POL-i-sis)

[snip well-known definition]

Ketosis

[snip another well-known definition]

I understand your hostility - sometimes the truth hurts - especially when it
proves you wrong.

It just re-establishes my point, Zeke. Nearly everyone who has spent
time in this newsgroup *knows* what ketosis and lipolysis are *and*
how to spell them. For example, a search of my own posts in this
newsgroup demonstrates that I was capable of properly spelling and
using such words in this newgroup as far back as seven years ago. I'm
sorry to learn that you are still having difficulty with that, and I'm
even more saddened by how clueless you are in that regard.

Why not losing weight? I'll pay you if you answer this question. sausalater Aerobic 0 January 22nd 04 12:22 AM
Newbie question! Donovan Rebbechi Weights 4 August 13th 03 05:04 PM
MRP Serving Question Brian Weights 3 August 12th 03 03:57 PM
Newbie question: How can you tell between sore muscles and pulled muscles? Jeff Weights 6 August 2nd 03 12:05 AM