which lifting workout is best?

Old August 20th 03, 04:11 PM
John Smith

Default which lifting workout is best?

hey, in my previous post i said that i was 16% bf trying to get down to 10%
bf... with that in mind, what kind of workout should i do? right now, i'm
on a 3 day lifting cycle with each day allocated to chest & arms, legs, and
shoulders & back.

----------
WORKOUT ROUTINE

sunday - chest & arms1 - bench press, chest fly (machine), bicep curl
(weights but not dumbbells), hammer curls (dumbbells)
monday - legs1 - leg press (weights), jump squats (dumbbells), lunges
(barbells), hamstrings
tuesday - shoulders & back1 - shoulder press (barbells), dip assist
(machine), deadlift (barbells), chin assist (machine)

wednesday - break

thursday - chest & arms2 - inclined bench press, declined bench press,
seated dip (machine), close-grip bench press
friday - legs2 - squats (barbell), leg curl (machine), leg abduction
(machine), leg adduction (machine)
saturday - shoulders & back2 - upright rows (machine), shoulder shrug
(dumbbells), lat pulldown (weights), lat row (weights)

----------
QUESTION 1

so for chest & arms, i have 8 exercises total doing 4 exercises for one
chest & arms day and doing the other 4 exercises for the 2nd chest & arms
day. should i change my routine to the same 4 chest & arms exercises and do
those twice a week?

instead of::
sunday - bench press, chest fly, bicep curl, hammer curls
thursday - inclined bench press, declined bench press, seated dip,
close-grip bench press

is this what i should do?:
sunday - bench press, chest fly, bicep curl, close-grip bench press
thursday - bench press, chest fly, bicep curl, close-grip bench press

----------
QUESTION 2

or should i change my routine to a 2 day cycle, with the 1st day dedicated
to upper body and the 2nd day dedicated to abs & legs? like, should my
routine be:

sunday - bench press, lat pull down, shoulder press, bicep curl, close-grip
bench press
monday - leg press, lunges, squats, hamstrings
tuesday - rest
etc....

----------
QUESTION 3

or should i do something like dumbbell bicep curls one day, free weight
bicep curl the other day, and machine bicep curl the last day?

----------

i know that this is a lengthy post and i just wanted to thank anybody who
takes the time to respond to this post. i really appreciate it.

sincerely,
Kurt

Old August 20th 03, 04:44 PM
Wldmn586796894

lebowski wrote
hey, in my previous post i said that i was 16% bf trying to get down to 10%
bf... with that in mind, what kind of workout should i do?

I'm sure I'm going against the grain here, but in my experiences,
complexes and circuits, full body with relatively short rest breaks and
moderate to moderately heavy weights have worked well for me.
A complex is a series of exercises done back to back straight through, same
weight. My favorites are,
Javoreks complex BB complex I
Upright row, powersnatch, squat pushpress behind neck, good morning, row, 6
reps each, for a total of 30 reps. I alternate this with 1 power clean,
frontsquat -pushpress from catch position, squat pushpress behind neck. Thats
one rep. I usually do 5-6 reps/set.
I like to do 3-4 go through's on a complex, then follow it up with a mini
circuit. Example, Squat, incline BP, Chin, done for around 10 reps each, 45-60
sec between exercises, 4 trips through. about 1 1/2 mins between circuits. I've
found it really jacks up my metabolism, plus it adds a pretty good fitness
base, and builds work capacity. When I go back to a more "normal" routine, I
have no problem tossing on weight with longer rest periods.
Tim

Old August 20th 03, 05:07 PM
Roger Zoul

John Smith wrote:
:: hey, in my previous post i said that i was 16% bf trying to get down
:: to 10% bf... with that in mind, what kind of workout should i do?
:: right now, i'm on a 3 day lifting cycle with each day allocated to
:: chest & arms, legs, and shoulders & back.
::
:: ----------
:: WORKOUT ROUTINE
::
[...]

IMO: control diet and exercise.

To go lower in bf -- create a calorie deficit compared to where you are
currnetly. So, either eat less, exercise more (WT & cardio), or do a
combination of both.

Beyond helping you to retain muscle mass, I don't think the routine matters
that much.

:: sincerely,
:: Kurt

Old August 21st 03, 02:13 PM

"John Smith" wrote in message
gy.com...
[...]

snip

Friendly advice.

You are working your way to serious overtraining.
Though you think you are giving your muscles
a chance to rest, you are working your chest, shoulders and arms
four days out of 7!

Here are some fundamentals.

1. Start your workouts hitting large muscles,
2. Split your workouts between pushing (chest, shoulders and tris)
and pulling (back and bis),
3. Start each respective day with one of the three basic lifts - bench
press, squats and deadlifts,
4. Less is more,
5. Complex is better than isolation,

Drop the upright rows.