Running down stairs

Old February 7th 05, 06:56 PM
Selene

Default Running down stairs

You know that new gov't recommendation to get 90 minutes of exercise a day?
Well, one of the ways they suggest totalling that much is to take the stairs
whenever possible.

Handily, I work on the 15th floor. Unhandily, it is accessible only by
elevator (we don't even have an internal stairway to the other floors of my
company). Oh, we have a stairwell, but once you're in it, you can exit only
on the ground floor. And you can't get IN to it from the ground floor.

So I thought, well, I could take the stairs when I leave for lunch or the
gym or the day. But is there any advantage to that? Does going down stairs
really count for exercise? Or am I more likely to trip, fall, break my
neck, and deprive you all of my glittering presence? :-)

Seriously (because you're not getting rid of me that easily) is there any
point to taking the stairs down, but not up?

Selene

--

Don't top post in this NG - it's a tough crowd and you don't want to annoy
them. --Tim Williams

Old February 7th 05, 07:13 PM
Proton Soup

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:56:54 -0800, "Selene"
wrote:

[...]

Yes, you work muscles to decelerate each "fall". But it's a lot less
work.

And why not take the stairs to the 14th floor, then hop on the
elevator for the last floor?

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane
Old February 7th 05, 07:26 PM
Ron Peterson

Selene wrote:
[...]

Use the railing to avoid falls.

Seriously (because you're not getting rid of me that easily) is there

any
point to taking the stairs down, but not up?

You do get some impact which is good for strengthening your bones.

You also have the option of going up the stairs after you have gone
down the stairs.

--
Ron

Old February 7th 05, 07:31 PM
Dr_Dickie

"Selene" wrote in message
[...]

Once in the stairwell, is there anything which prevents you from walking
down, then up, then down and out?

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

Old February 7th 05, 08:13 PM
hellrazor

"Selene" wrote in
:

You know that new gov't recommendation to get 90 minutes of exercise a
day? Well, one of the ways they suggest totalling that much is to take
the stairs whenever possible.

Handily, I work on the 15th floor. Unhandily, it is accessible only
by elevator (we don't even have an internal stairway to the other
floors of my company). Oh, we have a stairwell, but once you're in
it, you can exit only on the ground floor. And you can't get IN to it
from the ground floor.

So I thought, well, I could take the stairs when I leave for lunch or
the gym or the day. But is there any advantage to that? Does going
down stairs really count for exercise? Or am I more likely to trip,
fall, break my neck, and deprive you all of my glittering presence?
:-)

Seriously (because you're not getting rid of me that easily) is there
any point to taking the stairs down, but not up?

Selene

--

Don't top post in this NG - it's a tough crowd and you don't want to
annoy them. --Tim Williams

Should be better than not doing anything at all, i.e., taking the elevator
down.
Old February 7th 05, 08:50 PM
spodosaurus

wrote:

[...]

You mean take the lift to the first floor, get into the stairs, and take
them the rest of the way up, right?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old February 7th 05, 10:14 PM
Proton Soup

wrote:

[...]

Damn, I wasn't paying attention. Exit only. Can always walk up, then
walk back down and get in the elevator, I suppose.

-----------

Old February 7th 05, 11:26 PM
JMW

wrote:

[...]

But if you have DOMS a day or so after a heavy leg workout, you can
definitely feel those eccentric contractions.

(ouch-ouch-ouch-ouch-ouch-ouch-ouch!)
--

JMW
http://www.rustyiron.net
Old February 8th 05, 04:48 PM
rick++

Any walking counts.
Running down the stairs is dangerous. Stairs are a leading
cause of inury and death. Run in safer places.

Old February 8th 05, 04:55 PM
David Cohen

"rick++" wrote
Any walking counts.

Some walking counts more.

Running down the stairs is dangerous.

Going to a rap concert wearing a KKK hood is dangerous.

Stairs are a leading
cause of inury and death.

I did not know that! Las Vegas must have unusually safe stairs.

Run in safer places.

My treadmill. Canine early warning system and numerous firearms.