New to walking

Old March 31st 05, 11:36 PM

Default New to walking

I have just started walking again after 7 years away only this time i
have a few kids in tow, my youngest i carry in a carrier, i live in
North Leicestershire and want to move on from walks around the country
parks perhaps to walks in the southern Peak district, but not sure
where is a good place to start. The kids are good walkers and are all
kitted out with boots etc. Any ideas?

Old March 31st 05, 11:44 PM
AndyP

wrote

I have just started walking again after 7 years away only this time i
have a few kids in tow, my youngest i carry in a carrier, i live in
North Leicestershire and want to move on from walks around the country
parks perhaps to walks in the southern Peak district, but not sure
where is a good place to start. The kids are good walkers and are all
kitted out with boots etc. Any ideas?

Somewhere where they can climb trees, make dams and skim stones along the
way.

Old April 1st 05, 12:27 AM
Graham Seed

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have just started walking again after 7 years away only this time i
have a few kids in tow, my youngest i carry in a carrier, i live in
North Leicestershire and want to move on from walks around the country
parks perhaps to walks in the southern Peak district, but not sure
where is a good place to start. The kids are good walkers and are all
kitted out with boots etc. Any ideas?

Dovedale? Nice easy starter walk, although very popular. In general walks
following the valleys (N -S) are easy and walks going E - W are strenuous.

Graham

Old April 1st 05, 12:53 AM

yeah,

i had dovedale in mind,i just want the kids to enjoy it if they start
now i'm sure they will carry it on.

ta

Old April 1st 05, 10:24 AM
Graham Seed

wrote
yeah,

i had dovedale in mind,i just want the kids to enjoy it if they start
now i'm sure they will carry it on.

ta

OS Explorer 24 is a must have to plan your walks -
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/mapshop/ or any good bookshop.
Also, there are plenty of old railways that have been turned into trails -
Tissington Trail for one, Manifold Valley (great for cycling) for another.
You can link to one of these for an easy walk.

Graham

Old April 1st 05, 01:56 PM
Chris Morriss

In message . com,
" writes
yeah,

i had dovedale in mind,i just want the kids to enjoy it if they start
now i'm sure they will carry it on.

ta

Park in one of the parking spaces on the old Manifold Valley railway
line and climb up the hill to Thors Cave. Kids love that cave, and the
view from it is excellent. Keep an eye on the kids though!
--
Chris Morriss
Old April 1st 05, 05:59 PM
Bob Mannix

"Chris Morriss" wrote in message
In message . com,
" writes
yeah,

i had dovedale in mind,i just want the kids to enjoy it if they start
now i'm sure they will carry it on.

ta

Park in one of the parking spaces on the old Manifold Valley railway
line and climb up the hill to Thors Cave. Kids love that cave, and the
view from it is excellent. Keep an eye on the kids though!
--
Chris Morriss

I concur - what we did is park in the village up behind the cave and walk
parallel to the valley over the fields high up past old mineshafts and lime
kilns and drop down further up the Manifold way (ther's a lovely gothic
1930's house there) and back along the Manifold way (stopping for an ice
cream about half way) and up to the cave and back to the car. If you can't
spot it yourself on the map I can dig out the details.

An excellent day out for the family.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Old April 1st 05, 07:33 PM
Chris Morriss

In message , Bob Mannix
writes

[...]

That sounds as if you walked up over the top of Ecton hill. Is the
house the one with the copper roof? Ecton hill used to contain
Britain's most productive copper mines in the 19th century. There's
some very deep mine workings under there.
--
Chris Morriss
Old April 2nd 05, 10:23 PM
Neil Tonks

"Graham Seed" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have just started walking again after 7 years away only this time i
have a few kids in tow, my youngest i carry in a carrier, i live in
North Leicestershire and want to move on from walks around the country
parks perhaps to walks in the southern Peak district, but not sure
where is a good place to start. The kids are good walkers and are all
kitted out with boots etc. Any ideas?

Dovedale? Nice easy starter walk, although very popular. In general walks
following the valleys (N -S) are easy and walks going E - W are strenuous.

If you park a little further north at Milldale and walk the banks of the
dove from there, it's a lot less "populated". The caves at Dove Holes would
be the highlight of the walk for the kids (or possibly feeding the ducks at
Milldale!).

--
Neil

Visit my Peak District walking website - www.peakwalking.co.uk

Old April 4th 05, 02:55 PM

Everyone

Thanks for all your recomendations i will be looking at them all i want
the kids to do as much as possible, i think this weekend i will start
in Tissington, and walk down to Thorpe then go up Thorpe Cloud, looking
on the map there is a trail between the two, looks about 2 miles or so
apart, if anyone knows this bit of trail or knows of a reason i
shouldn't be looking at it it would be handy

Thanks again guys

Lee