Ambleside This Weekend

Old March 31st 05, 08:32 PM

Default Ambleside This Weekend

For reasons of work, I find myself in Ambleside this weekend with 4 non
walkers. OK, we have a conference in Carlisle Thursday, Friday and
Monday, and they wanted to stop over the weekend and asked me where was
the best place to stop........the pubs will suit them at least!

Prob is that they want to do a decent walk, but I don't want to
overface them (all fit-ish, play badminton, cycle etc, but like the
cosseted environment.

I've never done the Fairfield Horseshoe.

Looks a doddle on the map unaccompanied, even in mist; but given the
inexperience of my companions, is it a good call for a claggy sort of
day? They can be a bit wussie about things like that and would hate to
waste a day.

Cheers.

Old March 31st 05, 08:46 PM
Peewiglet

On 31 Mar 2005 10:32:12 -0800, "
wrote:

For reasons of work, I find myself in Ambleside this weekend with 4 non
walkers. OK, we have a conference in Carlisle Thursday, Friday and
Monday, and they wanted to stop over the weekend and asked me where was
the best place to stop........the pubs will suit them at least!

Prob is that they want to do a decent walk, but I don't want to
overface them (all fit-ish, play badminton, cycle etc, but like the
cosseted environment.

I've never done the Fairfield Horseshoe.

Looks a doddle on the map unaccompanied, even in mist; but given the
inexperience of my companions, is it a good call for a claggy sort of
day? They can be a bit wussie about things like that and would hate to
waste a day.

Hi there,

It's a nice walk. There's a bit of a steep pull near the beginning to
get up to the ridge, but nothing too demanding after that.

If it's misty on top, though, you need to be careful to follow the
horseshoe round, as it's possible to descend accidentally towards
Patterdale... fx: blush...

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Old March 31st 05, 09:07 PM

Thanks- that's a help; think I'll go for it and what the Hell LOL- its
not as if we'd be the only ones on the ridge anyway!

Old March 31st 05, 09:08 PM

Old March 31st 05, 09:33 PM
Sean McMahon

Peewiglet wrote:
On 31 Mar 2005 10:32:12 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

Thats right, it's easy to go the wrong way on Fairfield in the
mist...be careful!

Old March 31st 05, 09:45 PM
AndyP

"Peewiglet" wrote

If it's misty on top, though, you need to be careful to follow the
horseshoe round, as it's possible to descend accidentally towards
Patterdale... fx: blush...

I too can remember going temporarily off track on the summit of Fairfield in
the mist. It's quite flat, wide and featureless for the Lakes but I expect
it's no real trouble if you use a map instead of your nose.

Old March 31st 05, 09:56 PM

Thanks- nav is not the problem; boredom/inertia amongst the ranks is
LOL. Thanks to those who have taken the time and trouble to reply. Much
appreciated.

Old March 31st 05, 10:14 PM
Craig Cooke

Looks a doddle on the map unaccompanied, even in mist;

Hmm, it's not a doddle in the mist in my experience. Very easy to lose
bearings. I did it last year, the walk is ok, not too technical, but on the
top, it's easy to go off the wrong way. I was sitting on top of Fairfield
when a couple came past me, then ten minutes later, came past me again
(still heading in the same direction), they asked me if I knew the way down,
I pointed out the direction and even gave them a bearing, 10 minutes later,
they walked past me again !

I'd finished my sandwiches so I showed them the path off to Great Rigg.

Thank goodness for GPS !!! (???)

--
Regards

Craig Cooke

www.storm-imaging.co.uk
Exciting, Fun, Creative and Informal Digital Wedding & Portrait Photography

Old March 31st 05, 10:19 PM
AndyP

wrote

Thanks- nav is not the problem; boredom/inertia amongst the ranks is
LOL. Thanks to those who have taken the time and trouble to reply. Much
appreciated.

I don't think the Fairfield Horseshoe is the most exciting of walks. You
could take in the rocky and narrow ridge over Cofa Pike and then slant back
to Grisedale Tarn from Deepdale Hause for added interest and return down
Little Tongue Gill which I remember being quite an atmospheric place where
it opens out at the top in the early morning mist and sunshine but I'm not
sure if that would link back up to Rydal without walking on the road.

Old March 31st 05, 11:28 PM
Peewiglet

I feel quite a lot better, now I realise that I'm not the only person
to have got lost on the top of Fairfield in the mist! I thought it was
just me :-)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

TR: Lakeland Weekend sandy saunders Walking in the UK 5 March 3rd 05 05:54 PM
Weekend Walking AC Walking in the UK 0 June 27th 04 09:52 PM
Ambleside parking John Laird Walking in the UK 28 April 30th 04 11:13 PM
I am not going to Boston this weekend Roger 2k Running 20 April 20th 04 05:28 AM
Fantastic Weekend Neil Meredith Walking in the UK 5 March 3rd 04 11:38 PM