Shoulder clicks on lateral raise.

Old September 17th 03, 04:32 AM
Gary Atkins

Default Shoulder clicks on lateral raise.

I have been lifting for 6 months and changing routines every month or two. I
find that side raises causes a clunking sensation in my shoulder(no pain),
as if the joint is slipping. This even happens with very light weights. Why
is this? All the other shoulder exercises I have tried cause me no problems.
Is there another exercise I should focus on to help, or should I just
continue to avoid lateral dumbell raises.
Gary

Old September 17th 03, 10:23 AM
spodosaurus

Gary Atkins wrote:
I have been lifting for 6 months and changing routines every month or two. I
find that side raises causes a clunking sensation in my shoulder(no pain),
as if the joint is slipping. This even happens with very light weights. Why
is this? All the other shoulder exercises I have tried cause me no problems.
Is there another exercise I should focus on to help, or should I just
continue to avoid lateral dumbell raises.
Gary

Could be tendon clicking over something, who knows? I don't consider
lateral raises a vital part of any workout. If the clicking is
distracting you from your form, then just keep up with the other
exercises you're doing. If the clicking starts to feel like you're
slowly abraiding something, then don't wait for an injury to slowly
develop, just do a different exercise. It might also help to know
exactly how you're doing lateral raises. There're some pretty crap ways
of performing them being touted by a variety of sources online and in print.

HTH,

Ari

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Old September 17th 03, 01:46 PM
Wayne S. Hill

Gary Atkins wrote:

I have been lifting for 6 months and changing routines every
month or two.

There's no need to change your routine all the time. In many
cases, doing this slows your progress.

I find that side raises causes a clunking
sensation in my shoulder(no pain), as if the joint is
slipping. This even happens with very light weights. Why is
this? All the other shoulder exercises I have tried cause me
no problems. Is there another exercise I should focus on to
help, or should I just continue to avoid lateral dumbell
raises.

What Ari says. Ditch the lateral raises and just do shoulder
press.

--
-Wayne
Old September 17th 03, 01:49 PM
Bill

I find that side raises causes a clunking
sensation in my shoulder(no pain), as if the joint is
slipping. This even happens with very light weights. Why is
this? All the other shoulder exercises I have tried cause me

Try incline raises, or, if using a cable, turn the body slightly towards the
pulley.

Also, the lifters seem to keep the elbow slightly flexed.

When moving above the shoulders, if you do, you might want to make sure you
externally rotate your arm a bit.

Sometimes, gentle stretches of the shoulder do wonders.

Old September 17th 03, 02:59 PM
spodosaurus

Bill wrote:
I find that side raises causes a clunking
sensation in my shoulder(no pain), as if the joint is
slipping. This even happens with very light weights. Why is
this? All the other shoulder exercises I have tried cause me

Try incline raises, or, if using a cable, turn the body slightly towards the
pulley.

Also, the lifters seem to keep the elbow slightly flexed.

When moving above the shoulders, if you do, you might want to make sure you
externally rotate your arm a bit.

Why go above shoulder level? The medial deltoid is pretty much fully
contracted by the time you get to just below shoulder level. You can
get better trap development and put less stress on the shoulder joint
doing shrugs than doing shrugging lateral raises.

Shoulder pain relief GudTyme Weights 8 August 2nd 03 04:36 AM
ROM for shoulder presses void11 Weights 6 July 21st 03 05:13 PM
Shoulder Routine happy Weights 0 July 9th 03 06:27 AM