Question about running license in France or Europe

Old April 4th 05, 10:50 PM
Piedmont Donald

Default Question about running license in France or Europe

I'm looking for one or two events to run in France or Europe during my
up-coming trip there. In my searches, all the longer events seem to want
either a medical certificate or for the runner to be licensed. The
question: Is it worth pursuing this license for a 2 race "season" or is it
just more hassle (or money) than it's worth? Sub question: If a medical
certificate is the way to go, is there someplace (in Paris, for example)
that I can go to inexpensively get just that? Local heath authority? Only
private physicians?

Thanks in advance,
Piedmont Donald

Old April 5th 05, 12:50 AM

How long is your sentance to France? Murder? Rape? What'd you do to
deserve that?

Old April 5th 05, 10:28 AM
anders

Piedmont Donald wrote:

I'm looking for one or two events to run in France or Europe during

my
up-coming trip there.

What better way to mix and mingle with the natives!

In my searches, all the longer events seem to want either a medical
certificate or for the runner to be licensed.

Unless I=B4m very much mistaken, you have to meet either requirement to
participate in _any_ running competition. (To the best of my knowledge,
France and Italy are the only European countries with such a
stiulation; I understand that the political situation in which the
relevant law was passed had more to do with doping (especially in
cycling) rather than a desire to prevent members of the public from
meeting untimely deaths in races.)

The question: Is it worth pursuing this license for a 2 race "season"

or is it just more hassle (or money) than it's worth?

I don=B4t think you can get a FFA licence unless you reside in France
(and are a member of a registered club), and apparently a national
licence won=B4t, as a rule, do.

Sub question: If a medical certificate is the way to go, is there

someplace (in Paris, for example) that I can go to inexpensively get
just that?
Local health authority? Only private physicians?

The certificate doesn=B4t have to be issued by a French doc, you can
make an appointment with your own family/place of employment or study
doctor. If you are a normal healthy person, he or she should have no
qualms about issuing such a certificate (and any amount of copies) on
the spot. You can look up
http://www.parismarathon.com/maratho...ertificat.html (and /fr/
for the French).

I=B4ve been told that at Italian city marathons there are "recident
doctors" who=B4ll be pleased to oblige, but I wouldn=B4t expect to find
them in France:-)

Have fun at the races! The ladies will be better looking and the men
will have a stronger smell:-)

Anders

Old April 6th 05, 12:34 AM
steve common

"Piedmont Donald" wrote:

If a medical
certificate is the way to go, is there someplace (in Paris, for example)
that I can go to inexpensively get just that? Local heath authority? Only
private physicians?

In addition to Anders' excellent reply, if you choose the medical
certificate method and don't have one when you arrive here, you can go to
any french GP to get the certificate, though one saying "médecin de sport"
on his/her brass plate as well as "médecine générale" might have a standard
form to tick, sign and stamp for you.

GPs fees are government-controled, so they should cost the same everywhere.
Last time I went it was 22 euros I think.

But best bet is to get it done at home I expect, maybe using the example
Anders pointed you at on the Paris marathon website. If the doc will oblige,
have him do you a couple of duplicates, some races ask for originals or
"certified copies". You can always make some photocopies yourself and write
on them

"Je sousigné, Donald Foothill atteste sur l'honneur que cette copie est
conforme à l'originale"

and date and sign them. If a race won't accept that, then stuff 'em I say.

If you do absolutely want a licence, they've created a new "Pass' Running"
this year, which costs 25 euros and is valid for a year. You don't have to
be in club to get this one, but you can't qualify for any national
championships with it. This may or may not be an issue for you :-)

The advantage is that you get some insurance with it and don't have to mess
about with photocopies etc. Also, you get classed in their online database
too if you run FFA-label or IAAF races, so you can see how you compare to
the locals.

You can subscribe and pay on line, but you'll need to read french and still
have to send a medical certificate through the post anyway.
http://www.athle.com/asp/mai_boutique/pas_mod.asp
Old April 9th 05, 09:34 AM
Piedmont Donald

Thanks Andre and Steve. I'm still looking for races, this is especially
tough since my itinerary is not yet set save the flights to/from Europe.

Steve any chance that I can walk into a "médecin de sport" and be seen
without spending more than an hour there?

Lastly: Is there no site that marks European races by distance from a given
location?

Thanks
Piedmont Donald

Old April 9th 05, 02:28 PM
steve common

"Piedmont Donald" wrote:

Steve any chance that I can walk into a "médecin de sport" and be seen
without spending more than an hour there?

They are just ordinary GPs who have done some extra classes and
some exams :-)

So you would have to find a GP who has a "free-for-all" consultation period
(ie no appointment needed), which most of them do at some stage during each
day, and just hope there aren't too many ill people that day.

Once you get in, they probably won't take more than 20 minutes. My GP gives
a "Ruffier" test (series of 30 X 1.5 second squats, with heart rate measured
before, then immediately after and then again one minute's rest)
http://marc.toury.free.fr/entrainement/Ruffier.html (in french)

measures blood pressure, listens to lungs and heart etc

If you don't have anyone (work contacts or family etc) in Paris to set you
up an appointment or otherwise prepare the terrain for you, it seems to me
that it'd be an extra worry to handle when you could be having fun. Unless
of course you have plenty of time.

Lastly: Is there no site that marks European races by distance from a given
location?

I think "KiKourOu" let's you do that, but I think you have to sign up to be
able to enter your location - though this is free ...
www.kikourou.com

the map is here
http://www.kikourou.net/calendrier/carte.php
and the "closest race" page is here
http://www.kikourou.net/calendrier/c...oximitecourses

Most French internet sites will give you a "by region" and "by department"
listing which can help because the French "départements" were designed so
that the "capital" was always within a day's horse ride.

A good example is www.courirenfrance.com

If you were coming to Toulouse, you'd look at "département" 31,
Haute-Garonne and the region, "Mdi-Pyrénées".

For Paris it's 75 and the surrounding region is Ile-de-France.
http://www.courirenfrance.com/courses/ile.php

Otherwise, if you have time before your trip, you could order "Le Bipède"
listing which tells you the distance of the race from the nearest main towns
http://lebipede.com/

they also have online race information by date/département etc
http://lebipede.com/exe_cal/main_cal...cafi=&end=true

If you like, you can always post again here or mail me directly (take out
the "Z" and the .invalid in my address) nearer the date if you need a hand
sifting through it all :-)