Drink too much water?

Old April 14th 05, 07:03 PM
Larry Hodges

Default Drink too much water?

Kind of flies in the face of "drink all the water you can" doesn't it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7491948/

--
-Larry

Old April 14th 05, 07:15 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

On 2005-04-14, Larry Hodges wrote:
Kind of flies in the face of "drink all the water you can" doesn't it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7491948/

Stories on this study are popping up all over the place, which is a good
thing-- this is an important issue, and people need to pay more attention to
it.

NY times also covers the article. This has several quotes from leading
researcher Tim Noakes

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/14/health/14water.html

One of the better quotes (Noakes), which sums it up nicely:

quote
"Everyone becomes dehydrated when they race," Dr. Noakes said. "But I have not
found one death in an athlete from dehydration in a competitive race in the
whole history of running. Not one. Not even a case of illness."

On the other hand, he said, he knows of people who have sickened and died from
drinking too much.
/quote

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old April 14th 05, 07:47 PM
Dr_Dickie

"Larry Hodges" wrote in message
Kind of flies in the face of "drink all the water you can" doesn't it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7491948/

--
-Larry

My current un-explained anemia (for a year now) is suspected (by my doctor)
to be the result of my over consumption of water.
I think he is correct (last time my sodium and chloride levels were low).
I am trying to cut back (got into the habit during my diabetes days).
The up-side: less trips to the head at night ;-)
--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

Old April 14th 05, 08:16 PM
Larry Hodges

Larry Hodges wrote:
Kind of flies in the face of "drink all the water you can" doesn't it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7491948/

Ok guys...so how much water is the right amount? I usually weigh myself
before and after my WO, with the intention of weighing the same.

But regarding water consumption throughout the day for non-athletics...how
much? Some say a gallon. I never drink that much. I'd say I drink less
than 1 liter through the day and another during my WO. That's about it.
Well, toss in a pot of coffee...but that doesn't count right?
--
-Larry

Old April 14th 05, 08:42 PM
Charles

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:16:34 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
wrote:

Larry Hodges wrote:
Kind of flies in the face of "drink all the water you can" doesn't it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7491948/

Ok guys...so how much water is the right amount? I usually weigh myself
before and after my WO, with the intention of weighing the same.

But regarding water consumption throughout the day for non-athletics...how
much? Some say a gallon. I never drink that much. I'd say I drink less
than 1 liter through the day and another during my WO. That's about it.
Well, toss in a pot of coffee...but that doesn't count right?

You should drink when you're thirsty. Trying to drink a pre-determined
amount simply because some theory says you should is plain silly.

The symptoms of thirst are a normal response to dehydration, and the
amount to drink is governed by satiation.

It is very fashionable among the young and fashionable, to carry their
own bottled water around with them wherever they go. That may be due
to dancing and the drug Ecstasy, that causes abnormal dehydration, but
as with any dehydrating activity, your system should tell you when you
have had sufficient to drink!!

Just a little when required is the recommended intake!!

[Unless of course it's beer at the rugby club, when you are honour
bound to drink yourself silly!! ;o)]

Old April 14th 05, 10:56 PM
Proton Soup

wrote:

Larry Hodges wrote:
Kind of flies in the face of "drink all the water you can" doesn't it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7491948/

Ok guys...so how much water is the right amount? I usually weigh myself
before and after my WO, with the intention of weighing the same.

But regarding water consumption throughout the day for non-athletics...how
much? Some say a gallon. I never drink that much. I'd say I drink less
than 1 liter through the day and another during my WO. That's about it.
Well, toss in a pot of coffee...but that doesn't count right?

Yeah, of course it counts. My weight can go down by as much as
5lbs overnight sometimes, which equates to approximately 5 pints of
water (handy rule of thumb for ya there, about a pound a pint).

I don't know what the normal amounts to drink are, but in general,
just don't force yourself to drink when your body tells you it's full.
If you get nauseous at the thought of drinking more, you are probably
drinking too much. So, try drinking when you're thirsty, or when you
get other signs that you're dehydrated (irritability, urine is
concentrated, etc.) The body is usually pretty good at limiting water
intake, even though back at the time I studied it at least, the
mechanisms weren't all that well understood. People can often tell
they've drank enough even before the water has had a chance to be
absorbed through the gut, so maybe the brain measures gulps?

-----------
Proton Soup

"And all this peace has been deceiving,
I need some wind to get me sailing"

Old April 15th 05, 12:54 AM
a440

"Larry Hodges" wrote in message
Kind of flies in the face of "drink all the water you can" doesn't it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7491948/

Interesting.

Would it be safer to drink salted water, since when you sweat, a significant
component of that sweat is salt?

Old April 15th 05, 01:29 AM
Donovan Rebbechi

On 2005-04-14, a440 wrote:

Interesting.

Would it be safer to drink salted water, since when you sweat, a significant
component of that sweat is salt?

Salt water isn't terribly pleasent to drink, especially if you're thirsty.
Gatorade tries to include some replacement electrolytes, and already tastes
awful (and not that effective). Better to take capsules. This is what
ultramarathoners do anyway.

Cheers,
Old April 15th 05, 01:52 AM
Steve Freides

wrote:

Larry Hodges wrote:
Kind of flies in the face of "drink all the water you can" doesn't
it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7491948/

Ok guys...so how much water is the right amount? I usually weigh
myself
before and after my WO, with the intention of weighing the same.

But regarding water consumption throughout the day for
non-athletics...how
much? Some say a gallon. I never drink that much. I'd say I drink
less
than 1 liter through the day and another during my WO. That's about
it.
Well, toss in a pot of coffee...but that doesn't count right?

You should drink when you're thirsty. Trying to drink a pre-determined
amount simply because some theory says you should is plain silly.

No, not for endurance exercise in the heat. If you wait until you're
thirsty, it's often too late and performance suffers. The guideline of
8 oz. every 15-20 minutes while exercising in the heat is a sound one.

Someone on another list posted something about this earlier. Apparently
the idiots who had problems were the same people who gained between 4
and 11 pounds while running the Boston Marathon - c'mon, that's
absolutely ridiculous, and anyone with an ounce of common sense in their
heads will try to drink to maintain body weight, not to increase it 10
lbs. over the space of a few hours.

The recommendation to drink a gallon of water a day is a fine one. When
exercising in the heat and sweating alot, one just has to be careful to
replace what you lose, which includes salt.

Gained 11 lbs. while running a marathon - unbelievable. It's like
anything else - blindly following someone else's advice without learning
to listen to your own body is a formula for injury or worse.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old April 15th 05, 10:06 AM
Charles

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:52:41 -0400, "Steve Freides"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Larry Hodges wrote:
[...]

No-one was actually discussing those that require to replenish lost
fluids due to physical exertion.

Larry said:

"But regarding water consumption throughout the day for
non-athletics...how much?"

However, it is perhaps appropriate to introduce to the thread those
exceptions to basic guidelines.

Those people who participate in "endurance events" will take in the
required amounts to replace fluids lost, as part of their training
plan, but too much fluid intake is as bad for them as too little,
which largely agrees with what I said - that we should only drink the
amount that we need - and we don't all need the same amount!!

Someone on another list posted something about this earlier. Apparently
the idiots who had problems were the same people who gained between 4
and 11 pounds while running the Boston Marathon - c'mon, that's
absolutely ridiculous, and anyone with an ounce of common sense in their
heads will try to drink to maintain body weight, not to increase it 10
lbs. over the space of a few hours.

We are not party to that which is discussed in other forums so I can't
possibly pass comment. However, I'm happy to take your word for it
Steve!! ;o)

The recommendation to drink a gallon of water a day is a fine one. When
exercising in the heat and sweating alot, one just has to be careful to
replace what you lose, which includes salt.

It is poor advice to suggest a set amount to drink for everyone,
regardless of size, weight, age, physical activity, medical
conditions, fitness, environmental temperature, food intake,
medication et al!

Thirst is nature's way of governing intake under 'normal'
circumstances.

Gained 11 lbs. while running a marathon - unbelievable. It's like
anything else - blindly following someone else's advice without learning
to listen to your own body is a formula for injury or worse.

Which is the basics of taking in only what is required!!

Have a great weekend Steve - you know I will!! ;o)

TFIF!!