Does One Need To "Burn" Fat

Old April 17th 05, 12:04 PM
Tha Woyah

Default Does One Need To "Burn" Fat

.... by doing at least some cardio or can it be done with calorie reduction
alone? Maybe a better question to ask is what is the absolute best way to
burn fat while maintaining as much hard... and I mean HARD... earned muscle
as possible? I know, I know, this must be the very first time this has been
discussed here.

Old April 17th 05, 05:07 PM
analogbass

Any form of cardio that appeals to you enough to get you to stay with
it 6 days a week, 20 minutes continuously at a minumum-running's one of
the best, elliptical, stairmachine, etc.

You could lose by calorie reduction exclusively, but you won't see the
same firmness in the muscles, nor the health benefits accrued to the
heart and body through exercise.

Old April 17th 05, 06:45 PM
John Hanson

On 17 Apr 2005 08:07:30 -0700, "analogbass" wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

Any form of cardio that appeals to you enough to get you to stay with
it 6 days a week, 20 minutes continuously at a minumum-running's one of
the best, elliptical, stairmachine, etc.

You could lose by calorie reduction exclusively, but you won't see the
same firmness in the muscles, nor the health benefits accrued to the
heart and body through exercise.

What if you did anaerobic weight training while reducing your caloric
intake. Would you not have muscle firmness then?

Old April 17th 05, 10:35 PM
Jay

"John Hanson" wrote in message
On 17 Apr 2005 08:07:30 -0700, "analogbass" wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

Any form of cardio that appeals to you enough to get you to stay with
it 6 days a week, 20 minutes continuously at a minumum-running's one of
the best, elliptical, stairmachine, etc.

You could lose by calorie reduction exclusively, but you won't see the
same firmness in the muscles, nor the health benefits accrued to the
heart and body through exercise.

What if you did anaerobic weight training while reducing your caloric
intake. Would you not have muscle firmness then?

from what I have read, the closer you are to being in shape, the method you
have described is ideal. High intensity, that is a high percentage of 1 rm,
and caloric restriction. The bulk of the calories taken in shortly after a
training session.

Old April 18th 05, 02:29 AM
Hugh Beyer

"Tha Woyah" [email protected] .com wrote
in :

... by doing at least some cardio or can it be done with calorie
reduction alone? Maybe a better question to ask is what is the absolute
best way to burn fat while maintaining as much hard... and I mean
HARD... earned muscle as possible? I know, I know, this must be the very
first time this has been discussed here.

You need to do cardio to mobilize that stubborn fat.

Hugh

--
Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.

Old April 18th 05, 03:58 AM
tirrell payton

Yes, how does one mobilize fat. I was under the impression that whether you
ran 3 miles in 15 minutes, or you took a leisurely 3 mile stroll in an hour,
it still burns around the same number of calories.
6...

Old April 18th 05, 06:26 AM
John Smith

"Tha Woyah" [email protected] .com wrote in
message ...

"Hugh Beyer" wrote in message
6...
"Tha Woyah" [email protected] .com wrote
in :

... by doing at least some cardio or can it be done with calorie
reduction alone? Maybe a better question to ask is what is the absolute
best way to burn fat while maintaining as much hard... and I mean
HARD... earned muscle as possible? I know, I know, this must be the very
first time this has been discussed here.

You need to do cardio to mobilize that stubborn fat.

Mobilize it?

No idea what mobilizing fat means (unless it refers to taking your
fat for a jog). But calorie reduction alone will get rid of fat, but it
will also reduce your muscle (which you can slow but not stop
by lifting while you diet). For most people (ie not into a specific
sport or body building), the best approach is a combination of
all three...lifting, cardio and intelligent dieting. If you absolutely
don't want to lose muscle while you lose fat, you're going to have
to go for a slow reduction, where your calorie deficit is just
under maintenance, so your body doesn't canabalize your
muscles.

-JS2

Old April 18th 05, 07:59 AM
Larry Hodges

John Hanson wrote:
On 17 Apr 2005 08:07:30 -0700, "analogbass" wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

Any form of cardio that appeals to you enough to get you to stay with
it 6 days a week, 20 minutes continuously at a minumum-running's one
of the best, elliptical, stairmachine, etc.

You could lose by calorie reduction exclusively, but you won't see
the same firmness in the muscles, nor the health benefits accrued to
the heart and body through exercise.

What if you did anaerobic weight training while reducing your caloric
intake. Would you not have muscle firmness then?

Dude, you're going to question the Warm-Up Kid? He speaks with such
authority and certainty, it simply must be true.

Don't expect a response.
--
-Larry

Old April 18th 05, 04:16 PM
Hugh Beyer

"John Smith" wrote in
:

"Tha Woyah" [email protected] .com
wrote in message ...

6...
wrote in :

[...]

Mobilize? Metabolize? Whatever.

Turns out that there actually is a difference between restricting calories
and adding cardio--Bryan Haycock and Lyle McDonald have both written about
it. Cardio while dieting seems to trigger a hormone response that helps
fat cells give up their fat, and it also increases circulation to cells
that have poor circulation.

Hugh

--
Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.

gettin' old - no burn anymore? [email protected] Weights 4 April 14th 05 01:26 AM
Easy question about technical clothing (MORE THOUGHTS) Running 7 April 8th 05 07:24 AM
Burn butt fat/trim Bekala General 3 July 25th 04 09:12 PM
Caloric Burn from High Intensity Interval Training TopCounsel Running 8 May 18th 04 04:13 PM
Nike Tailwind vs. Mizuno Wave Rider vs. Brooks Burn Bill Running 4 March 14th 04 03:53 PM