Question about Squats

Old October 10th 03, 06:09 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

Default Question about Squats

In article , Rita wrote:
Can someone please explain this -- I've read many posts
where someone says "remember, you are squatting your
own weight." If I do DB squats, with, say a 15 lb. DB on each
shoulder, and I weigh 130 lbs, how much am I really squatting?

It's difficult to say. The obvious answer: 160lb, is not quite correct,
because the dumbells travel a greater distance than the hips, which travel
a greater distance than the middle of your thighs, which travel further
than your shins (which shouldn't really move much at all). A quick
back-of-the-envelope gives me about 1/2 bodyweight (so 110lb) when you
look at the work done per rep.

I take the "remember" thing to mean that once down in a squat
position, you have to lift your body weight, or most of it, to get
back up, weight or no weight. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. Even if you do not use any dumbells, there is
still work done in a squat.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old October 10th 03, 07:29 PM
Lyle McDonald

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

In article , Rita wrote:
Can someone please explain this -- I've read many posts
where someone says "remember, you are squatting your
own weight." If I do DB squats, with, say a 15 lb. DB on each
shoulder, and I weigh 130 lbs, how much am I really squatting?

It's difficult to say. The obvious answer: 160lb, is not quite correct,
because the dumbells travel a greater distance than the hips, which travel
a greater distance than the middle of your thighs, which travel further
than your shins (which shouldn't really move much at all). A quick
back-of-the-envelope gives me about 1/2 bodyweight (so 110lb) when you
look at the work done per rep.

I vaguely recall a claim of more like 60-70% but I owuldn't swaer to it.
But it sort of doesn't matter (wrt: the origina question). Unless
bodymass is changing drastically, the biggest variance will come from
how much weight you're adding. Convention is to ignore bodyweight and
just record/track the additional weight (DB or BB) that you are using.

Lyle
Old October 10th 03, 10:16 PM
Jose Yimpho

Rita wrote:

Can someone please explain this -- I've read many posts
where someone says "remember, you are squatting your
own weight." If I do DB squats, with, say a 15 lb. DB on each
shoulder, and I weigh 130 lbs, how much am I really squatting?
I take the "remember" thing to mean that once down in a squat
position, you have to lift your body weight, or most of it, to get
back up, weight or no weight. Is this correct?

I would say that the "remember... " comment was probably talking about
leg presses vs. squats. While I can leg press (say) 500 pounds, I can
only squat 250 pounds, part of which is because I'm also lifting my
bodyweight on the squat, which is not the case on the leg press machine.

Love,
Jose

Old October 10th 03, 11:40 PM
Slider2699

"Donovan Rebbechi" wrote in message
In article , Rita wrote:
Can someone please explain this -- I've read many posts
where someone says "remember, you are squatting your
own weight." If I do DB squats, with, say a 15 lb. DB on each
shoulder, and I weigh 130 lbs, how much am I really squatting?

It's difficult to say. The obvious answer: 160lb, is not quite correct,
because the dumbells travel a greater distance than the hips, which travel
a greater distance than the middle of your thighs, which travel further
than your shins (which shouldn't really move much at all). A quick
back-of-the-envelope gives me about 1/2 bodyweight (so 110lb) when you
look at the work done per rep.

I do DB squats but I keep the weights at my sides.I can't get the DBs to my
shoulders now that I've increased the weight. I use hooks because my grip
fails by the end of the last set. If I weigh 175 but squat with 85 lb
dumbbells what do you figure I'm squatting?

Mike

Old October 11th 03, 12:15 AM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , Rita wrote:
[...]

Doesn't make a difference whether you hold them on your shoulders or at your
sides.

Old October 11th 03, 12:16 AM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , Rita wrote:
[...]

Just thought I'd add -- see Lyle's post. Doesn't the fact that no-one knows or
cares about the exact answer to this question tell you something ? Don't worry
yourself too much about how much weight you're "really" lifting. The question
isn't a very meaningful oneanyway.

Old October 11th 03, 01:52 AM
Wayne S. Hill

Lyle McDonald wrote:

I vaguely recall a claim of more like 60-70% but I owuldn't
swaer to it.

I've found 60% works pretty well for scaling (e.g., estimating XRM
from YRM).

But it sort of doesn't matter (wrt: the origina
question). Unless bodymass is changing drastically, the
biggest variance will come from how much weight you're
adding. Convention is to ignore bodyweight and just
record/track the additional weight (DB or BB) that you are
using.

Well, the useful lesson for Rita is that since she's already
squatting something like 108, as a newbie she'll probably be able
to add weight quickly. Once she gets to an added 45 lbs, it's
time for an Oly bar.

--
-Wayne

Old October 11th 03, 02:36 AM
Lee Michaels

"Jose Yimpho" wrote in message
Rita wrote:

Can someone please explain this -- I've read many posts
where someone says "remember, you are squatting your
own weight." If I do DB squats, with, say a 15 lb. DB on each
shoulder, and I weigh 130 lbs, how much am I really squatting?
I take the "remember" thing to mean that once down in a squat
position, you have to lift your body weight, or most of it, to get
back up, weight or no weight. Is this correct?

I would say that the "remember... " comment was probably talking about
leg presses vs. squats. While I can leg press (say) 500 pounds, I can
only squat 250 pounds, part of which is because I'm also lifting my
bodyweight on the squat, which is not the case on the leg press machine.

And in the case of the leg press machine, you are lifting even less. Since
most leg machines are not vertical, you are only lifting a percentage of the
weight. The angle of the track that supports the weight sled does in fact
"lift" some of the weight for you. So you may only be lifting 60 - 70 % of
the weight on the leg press machine as well.

Old October 11th 03, 03:30 AM
Jose Yimpho

Rita wrote:

[...]

Good point.

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 10:32 PM
Squats for dummies? Ned Hart Weights 73 October 14th 03 02:17 AM
Bench Squats, squat technique Brian Link Weights 30 October 7th 03 05:49 PM
Hack Squats? Steve Weights 33 September 4th 03 05:53 PM
Sore Tailbone from Squats Horton Mammal Weights 7 August 31st 03 09:11 AM